VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a camcorder that takes 2 sandisk SD memory cards they can record in both slots together or follow on one from the other. My question is if I put a 128GB card in one and a 256GB card in the other both with 170mb/s , if the card in slot 1 (128gb) fills up does the card in slot 2 ( 256GB) stop as well or carry on recording irrespective of the camcorder setup

Thank you in advance for replies
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by realspeed View Post
    I have a camcorder that takes 2 sandisk SD memory cards they can record in both slots together or follow on one from the other. My question is if I put a 128GB card in one and a 256GB card in the other both with 170mb/s , if the card in slot 1 (128gb) fills up does the card in slot 2 ( 256GB) stop as well or carry on recording irrespective of the camcorder setup

Thank you in advance for replies
    what brand model camcorder do you have ?? in theory, it
    should continue to record until both cards are full.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It is a Panasonic HC-X1500. So if I undestand you properly what you are saying is if the 128gb card gets full that would stop the 256gb card carry on recording in similtanous camcorder configuration. Have I got that right? if they record as a follow on ,if the 128gb card stops would that would not stop the 256gb card recording?

As with everything theory only goes so far practical terms are completely different. Have you actually tried to see what happens?

Let me explain a bit further

I do have 4x128 gb sd sandisk cards to work together in pairs, also 2x 64gb sandisk cards to work together. the sandisk 256 gb card will be used as a single as a backup spare if the others get used up. As I am going back to Norway quite soon and then on to the Fareo Isles and from there to Iceland I want to make sure I have enough card memory to cover the whole trip. camcorder batteries already sorted
    each 128 gb cards will record just under for 3 hours so with all 4 cards used give me about 6 hours recording time if in similtanous mode or 12 hours in follow mode
    the 64gb card about 3 hours recording time or in follow mode 6 hours and the 256gb card about 6 hours recording time.

Having just done our Jubillee street party I am so thankful I recorder onto both cards, a lesson well learnt
    Last edited by realspeed; 24th Jun 2022 at 12:52.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do a test recording,put in both cards empty and see if they both get filled.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Suggest reading the manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2269162/Panasonic-Hc-X1500.html?page=127#manual

This page answers part of your question. I believe if you simultaneously record to both cards and one fills up the notes imply the one that still has space will become the new target. But I think you need to manually re-start recording after that.

BUT.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2269162/Panasonic-Hc-X1500.html?page=36#manual

Unless something has changed since Jan 2020, the unit doesn't appear to support memory cards > 128GB anyway. Maybe you have info I don't and that's changed, just a word of caution.

edit: misread OP thought you were asking about specifically if it's in simultaneous mode. I think the pages for respective recording modes should clarify for each setting though.
    Last edited by ArcanaXIX; 24th Jun 2022 at 13:53.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Arcana
    Good point about card capacity the 256 gb card with be here tomorrow so will soon see and let you know as i will use it first as a single. If not then it will go into my Nikon D810 instead
    However I can see no reason why it can't take a 256gb card unless there is something on the card itself stopping it.

reading on it looks as if I can still use the 256gb card as a single if no other card is in the other slot. as I said it is only a backup if running out of recording card time.

Like most manuals you get told in great detail how to put a battery in as if we are complete morons. what you really want to know is lost in pages of nothing important
    Last edited by realspeed; 24th Jun 2022 at 14:38.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There's really only a few possibilities, some of which wouldn't be supported on that device:

1. Mirrored for safety, like raid mirroring. If both are running, they both get the same signal and simultaneously record. If one stops recording (could be glitch/corruption, but could also be because of lesser size), the other one keeps running, but then you don't have a backup for the remainder. It is preferrable to have them be the same capacity, but not always necessary. Most setups which experience mixed capacity, just have mirroring up to the capacity of the smaller one. Most are not as dynamically flexible as you are hoping.
    2. Striped for bandwidth, like raid striping. When both are running, it alternates the bits to give you higher throughput, but if one stops, it either stops the other one as well, or it drops the bandwidth (which usually means a drop in quality - rez, framerate, codec bitrate, etc) and keeps going on the remainder. More likely the former, and this one often requires they be matched in capacity and speed.
    3. Manual assignment. Just like it sounds - one at a time, assigned before starting recording. This allows you to record, and while recording, swap the other storage for a new empty storage. Then when your recording is stopped, you can assign it to the new empty one and restart recording. Only benefit over standard single slot swapping is less downtime.
    4. Spanned for capacity, like raid JBOD spanning. If both are available, it chooses one, and when that capacity is full, it keeps on and moves over to the other one. If one is removed, it will just have less capacity - unless the one removed is the one it was currently using, then there would be an interruption (either temp or full stoppage) of recording. This one is usually the most accommodating of differences in capacity. This one can often be a smarter verson of #3, where it allows automatic rollover after live hot swaps, to keep a signal going almost continuously for a very long time, especially if hot swaps keep occurring alternately.

There's different names for these, but they all amount to one or more of those features.

My guess is your first mode option is either 1 or 2 (probably one, unless the manual talks about improved throughput opportunities somewhere), and your second mode option is 4.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to the manual it can use SDHC cards from 4gb to 32gb and SDXC cards from 32gb to 128gb. It says operation is not guaranteed for any cards other than those. It will be interesting to see if your 256gb card works, but for reliability I shall stick to the recommended.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DeJay View Post
    According to the manual it can use SDHC cards from 4gb to 32gb and SDXC cards from 32gb to 128gb. It says operation is not guaranteed for any cards other than those. It will be interesting to see if your 256gb card works, but for reliability I shall stick to the recommended.
    agree I will hopefully have enough memory on the other SD cards not to use it ,but if it only works as a single slot or even try it on my PanasonicDC--TZ95 compact camera which I willl be taking on holiday as well as that only has a 32gb card at the moment.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok result with the 256gb card in slot 1 and the 128gb card in slot 2

in relay = each card records with the amount on the card ie 256gb =340 mins and 128gb =170mins
    in simultainous = the 256gb shows as 170min same as the 128gb card 170 mins

same if the cards have swapped slot in both cases. Therefore it looks as if in similtanious setting the camcorder may well accept 256 GB if both slots are the same

At least having tried the 256gb card by itself it works
    Last edited by realspeed; 25th Jun 2022 at 08:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Can you record both, then while running take out a card and have the remaining keep recording uninterrupted? That is something you could test ahead of time.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Can you record both, then while running take out a card and have the remaining keep recording uninterrupted? That is something you could test ahead of time.

Scott
    Oh my running day are long gone now it is a casual stroll
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Haha, no I meant while the cam is recording.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. To be honest I would not attempt that is the short answer just in case it did something to the camcorder. When i can afford I will get another 256gb card and see what happens with both in the camcorder

as for running I did actually be sprint champion (100 yds back then) out of 11 colleges, now at 77 years old not just young ladies but old grannies have no fear of me catching them
    Last edited by realspeed; 25th Jun 2022 at 14:55.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Just ordered another 256 gb card so interesting to see if the two work together giving 340 mins in similtanuous mode
    Quote Quote  
  16. Update 28/6/2022
    The second Sandisk 256GB card arrived so tried out on Panasonic HC-X1500 camcorder working in similtanuous mode. I am please to say yes both cards work in this panasonic model. I think panasonic need to update their manual.
    This is not to say it would work with any other camcorder of any make ,or even with different makes of memory cards, it just works on this one. SO now I can record to both cards 340 minuits or 5hr 40mins without a card change
    Last edited by realspeed; 28th Jun 2022 at 09:00.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote