VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Also using JVC HR-S3800U S-VHS VCR with S-video. Is there any way to get rid of the artifacts along the bottom other than cropping it out? I assumed the TBC would take care of that.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by boolian2; 23rd Jun 2022 at 22:58.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't looked at this latest video, but the interference at the bottom is usually the head switching noise,
    Not much you can do except crop/add a clean border back to keep the same frame size. Easy to do in Avisynth
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm confused. It doesn't appear to be interlaced (I can't get any back and forth motion with TFF or BFF) but there are obvious interlacing artefacts. Are they baked-in?
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's standard 3-2 telecined material and one has to IVTC it to get the original progressive 23.976fps frames back. See the other recent threads of the same poster.
    Code:
    assumeTFF()
    TFM().TDecimate()
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Sharc, I'll keep away in PAL land.
    Quote Quote  
  6. In PAL land you may occasionally find the 2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:3 "Euro-Pulldown" to convert 24fps film to 25fps instead of "speedup"

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=151372
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine
    Last edited by Sharc; 24th Jun 2022 at 03:57. Reason: Links added
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The video has some strange ghosting, here as the guy moves to the right, you can see 3 or 4 shadows of where he was in previous frames.
    Could this be on the tape?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vid1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	65589  

Quote Quote  
  8. Don't know, maybe.
    I would suggest lowering the brightness somewaht to make the luma better fit the 16 .... 235 range.
    The black level seems to be elevated.

Edit:
    The level correction can also be done in post processing instead of fiddling with the "ProcAmp", as the signal is not clipped.
    These color and levels adjustments are to a certain extent a matter of personal preference though.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	amarec(20220623-2246)000703.png
Views:	19
Size:	657.6 KB
ID:	65590  

Last edited by Sharc; 24th Jun 2022 at 04:29.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Here is the inverse telecined version.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's coming over as 3:2, but it should be 4:3, IMO.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Here is another capture with this setup. I inverse telecined it with avisynth/vdub then handbraked it to reduce file size. Notice the stutter when he moves the eyepatch. What is causing that? I captured the whole tape, and I don't see it anywhere else. Also is there any way to let avisynth/vdub use more CPU? It's only using like 2% CPU, my CPU is 16 cores. It's taking like an hour when it should be taking a couple of minutes.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Should I capture in 640x480 or 720x480? Or should I capture in 720 and then somehow convert to 640?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The video has some strange ghosting, here as the guy moves to the right, you can see 3 or 4 shadows of where he was in previous frames.
    Could this be on the tape?
    Maybe. It could also be a denoise of the chroma across a temporal radius (cannot check now), even if this appears more on scene change.
    OP must be sure that all Noise Reduction is turned off in Panasonic ES-15.

The level correction can also be done in post processing instead of fiddling with the "ProcAmp", as the signal is not clipped.
    I agree with Sharc. The level correction with the card procamp is "rudimentary", and should be done only if the input levels are outside the range that can be captured by the card to avoid crushing the blacks and clipping the whites. IIRC GV-USB capture in range 16-250, then when the input levels are inside this limits there is no need to act.

Later in postprocessing the level correction is more accurate, but is necessary only if a filtering in RGB colorspace is needed, to compress the YUV range to 16-235 for proper RGB conversion. If you stay in YUV colorspace even this is not needed. And be careful that many of the AviSynth filters expands internally the level at 0-255 to be more efficient, so ideally the check of the levels should be done after each step.

Always check the levels at the end of the postprocessing: according to your display options you may need to stay inside 16-235 range, or you may want to change the look of your video to your personal taste.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by boolian2 View Post
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Should I capture in 640x480 or 720x480? Or should I capture in 720 and then somehow convert to 640?

There is a whole topic on here about capturing @ 720x480. 640x480 will not be a native capture but a correctly resized output format. Which you can do when you create a delivery format from your archive one (a full UT capture will be HUGE)

Not truly relevant here but I trust you have many tapes that dvds are not available - the one you sample is so well known and has many dvd releases which will now give you the full aspect ratio and not a scanned 4:3 one and at much better visual quality. You have invested quite heavilly in this kit and the same money could have acquired the dvds.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by boolian2 View Post
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post

There is a whole topic on here about capturing @ 720x480. 640x480 will not be a native capture but a correctly resized output format. Which you can do when you create a delivery format from your archive one (a full UT capture will be HUGE)

Not truly relevant here but I trust you have many tapes that dvds are not available - the one you sample is so well known and has many dvd releases which will now give you the full aspect ratio and not a scanned 4:3 one and at much better visual quality. You have invested quite heavilly in this kit and the same money could have acquired the dvds.
    Yeah I can get the 4K of a lot of tapes but that's not as fun. I have a big collection of VHS from my childhood. And they're in surprisingly good condition since they've been stored in a hot attic for years.

By the way yes the initial captures are huge. They are from 40-80GB. Then when you de-telecine them with avisynth they are doubled or quadrupled in size for some reason. But I have big hard drives so it's not that big a deal.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by boolian2 View Post
    Always capture the tapes as 720x480.
    Once you have the progressive frames (e.g. after IVTC or after deinterlacing), you have the basic options:
    a) Resize to square pixels like 640x480, or 1440x1080, and encode.
    b) Leave as 720x480 (anamorphic), and encode with the Pixel Aspect Ratio (also called Sample Aspect Ratio) of 8:9, and/or the DAR (display aspect ratio) of 4:3. How to do this in detail depends on the encoding software and its GUI.
    c) Leave as 720x480, encode it and simply force the player (software or TV) to play it as 4:3.
    Last edited by Sharc; 24th Jun 2022 at 06:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The ONLY thing that determines file-size in your scenario is bitrate. Filesize = runlength x bitrate

You can confirm what the IVTC is doing by comparing the original to the new via mediainfo. Is the frame rate doubled ? Do you now have true progressive video as against interlaced ? And is the bitrate substantially higher for these ?

And since you have the bitrate then a resize from 720*480 to 1280*960 (or even 1440*1080) at a substantially lower bitrate than you have right now is a viable proposition.

I can concur with your reasoning about even capturing tapes you can get on much better quality now. But equally, I saw many a film butchered due to the constraints of display and I would always seek the true display over the underlying sentiment.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can confirm what the IVTC is doing by comparing the original to the new via mediainfo. Is the frame rate doubled ? Do you now have true progressive video as against interlaced ? And is the bitrate substantially higher for these ?
    We are in NTSC world here: IVTC of the 3:2 pulldown will not double the frame rate, but rather change it from 29.970fps to 23.976fps. (duration in time is the same before and after, number of frames is changed, audio is then in synch)

edit
    And since you have the bitrate then a resize from 720*480 to 1280*960 (or even 1440*1080) at a substantially lower bitrate than you have right now is a viable proposition.
    Not sure I understand this. Higher resolution requires higher bitrate. But probably you meant that going from 'lossless 720x480' to 'x264 1440x1080' the bitrate can be substantially decreased, which is true.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc
    @Sharc, is this a satisfactory way of doing this in VDub2?

-Activate Resize filter as follows:
    [Attachment 65594 - Click to enlarge]

-Export using the x264 8bit codec from the main video codec list (Configure>Quality factor 18 or a bit less), Audio in Full Processing mode, using AAC.
    -Rename video to MP4 (not AVI, which is the default).

I regularly change the aspect ratio from 5:4 to 4:3 in my NLE (720x576 PAL VHS captures), but I have never been able to work out how to use VDub2's Resize filter to change a 5:4 video to a 4:3 export without just disabling everything and exporting at 768x576.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 24th Jun 2022 at 10:05.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Looks right to me, yes, if you want to resize the NTSC 720x480 capture to square pixels. In this case make sure that when configuring the encoder, set the SAR width=1 and the SAR height=1.
    And you can't just rename the .avi to .mp4. When you export it via File->Save video ..... select the file type in the dropdown list as MP4 (MPEG-4 Part 14) (*.mp4). Then it gets correctly muxed into the .mp4 container.

You could also encode it anamorph (e.g. for DVD). Then you don't need to resize the video but set in the encoder configuration the SAR width=8 and SAR height =9 for 4:3 NTSC. Or crop 8 pixels from left and 8 pixels from right so that the frame becomes 704x480, and set the SAR width =10 and the SAR height=11 in the encoder configuration.

(For PAL captures you would have to adapt the values accordingly).

Edit:
    Attached here the 3 variants:
    - square pixel 640x480
    - anamorphic 720x480 (SAR 8:9)
    - anamorphic cropped 704x480 (SAR 10:11)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Sharc; 24th Jun 2022 at 13:25. Reason: Attachements
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    capture @ 800x600
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    capture @ 800x600
    No.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    The ONLY thing that determines file-size in your scenario is bitrate. Filesize = runlength x bitrate

I can concur with your reasoning about even capturing tapes you can get on much better quality now. But equally, I saw many a film butchered due to the constraints of display and I would always seek the true display over the underlying sentiment.
    Here is mediainfo on a capture that I de-telecined with avisynth and vdub. I "saved as avi" in vdub. The bit rate is 199Mbps. The file size is 169GB - the original AmarecTV capture is 41GB.

Code:
    assumeTFF()
    TFM().TDecimate()
    Code:
    General
    Complete name                            : Z:\A03EC7193EC6E7\Goonies.avi
    Format                                   : AVI
    Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
    Format profile                           : OpenDML
    File size                                : 161 GiB
    Duration                                 : 1 h 55 min
    Overall bit rate                         : 200 Mb/s
    Writing library                          : VirtualDub build 35491/release

Video
    ID                                       : 0
    Format                                   : RGB
    Codec ID                                 : 0x00000000
    Codec ID/Info                            : Basic Windows bitmap format. 1, 4 and 8 bpp versions are palettised. 16, 24 and 32bpp contain raw RGB samples
    Bit rate                                 : 199 Mb/s
    Width                                    : 720 pixels
    Height                                   : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 3:2
    Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
    Color space                              : RGB
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 24.000
    Stream size                              : 160 GiB (99%)

Audio
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : PCM
    Format settings                          : Little / Signed
    Codec ID                                 : 1
    Bit rate mode                            : Constant
    Bit rate                                 : 1 536 kb/s
    Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
    Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth                                : 16 bits
    Stream size                              : 1.24 GiB (1%)
    Alignment                                : Aligned on interleaves
    Interleave, duration                     : 42  ms (1.00 video frame)
    Interleave, preload duration             : 500  ms
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's because you didn't select a compression codec, vdub defaults to uncompressed RGB.
    If you want to save a lossless intermediate or encode to h264 right in vdub, select video (at the top)/compression
    and select the codec you want
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc
    @Sharc, is this a satisfactory way of doing this in VDub2?

-Activate Resize filter as follows:
    [Attachment 65594 - Click to enlarge]

-Export using the x264 8bit codec from the main video codec list (Configure>Quality factor 18 or a bit less), Audio in Full Processing mode, using AAC.
    -Rename video to MP4 (not AVI, which is the default).

I regularly change the aspect ratio from 5:4 to 4:3 in my NLE (720x576 PAL VHS captures), but I have never been able to work out how to use VDub2's Resize filter to change a 5:4 video to a 4:3 export without just disabling everything and exporting at 768x576.
    Is it better to resize in vdub using a filter or resize using avisynth+vdub? All I see under File>Export is "Raw video..."
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not File/export,
    File/save video ( use the newer vdub2)
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Not File/export,
    Ohh ok thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Not File/export,
    Can I make vdub2 use more than 3% CPU? Right now that's all it's using, it's only rendering ~70FPS

Also I'm currently resizing and cropping the head noise in avisynth, here is my script.

Code:
    assumeTFF()
    TFM().Tdecimate()
    BilinearResize(640, 480, 0, 0, 720, 474)
    It resizes the 720x480 to 640x480 and crops the bottom 6 rows of pixels off.
    Last edited by boolian2; 25th Jun 2022 at 17:09.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Eric-jan View Post
    capture @ 800x600
    That's not capturing, it's called resizing on the fly, Capture cards' ADC captures at 720x480 or 720x576, You can only change the output, but for what reason?
    Quote Quote