VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is more of a general curiosity question than anything. I'm getting into digitizing/capture pretty much for funzies, I love the analog domain and learning about how things work, so doing my own captures and comparing equipment I come across is fun and educational. My end goal is digitizing old family videos (and other misc VHS tapes) to a good standard, making amateur camcorder films documenting trips with friends, and seeing which of the relevant skills can also be applied to retro game capture.

But I'm curious about where you guys share your videos/projects. Do you have dedicated YT channels (or other sites, vimeo etc)? Personal websites? Do some of you do this professionally and therefore just share with clients? Do you post WIP clips here, or are these forums primarily for checking quality/errors and getting feedback?

I'm thinking about if I've just finished a project, where/how I might want to share it. I have other, unrelated places I post creative work in general, of course, but it would be cool to know if there are dedicated spaces for sharing things of this particular nature.

Love all of the knowledge on these forums. Want to also get excited about sharing stuff I do.
    Last edited by ArcanaXIX; 23rd Jun 2022 at 02:17.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rather than ignore your Q.'s allow me some words.

videohelp.com is a 'Broad Church'. It, as it's name implies, is intended to cater for assistance in any of the sub-forums subject to the guidelines of those sub-forums and the general rules.

That being so there are topics that allow the user to promote, not in a commercial sense, the member's own creations - not to seek any criticism of the work in that topic. Such a topic has existed here for some 20 years.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/35497-POST-YOUR-EDITED-MOVIES-HERE%21%21%21

And I see no reason why you can not post multiple entries there as other users have.

People forget that youtube was created for that purpose - for creators to share their own work. But once Google got their sweaty palms on it the focus somewhat changed >> Must not offend our advertisers since they pay for this.

Even so, yt remains the easiest available platform to share work. Indeed there are several members who have contributed to topics you recently visited who do just that. There is a topic that lists these or just follow the signatures of the members that do reply

True that there are members here that do this work for financial reward (not necc. make a complete living from it). Most do not overtly advertise that within their replies. So you would have to 'read between the lines' since such advertising could well fall fowl of other forum rules.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But I'm curious about where you guys share your videos/projects.
    I send / receive videos (analog vhs or s-vhs tapes digitized) with collector friends in the form of RAW captures, HuffYUV or other lossless codec. We send each others some 4TB external usb drives through DHL or similar (we bought a few, and use always the same, copying their content on our personal drives). If a restoration is wished, everybody runs a specific AviSynth script on his side, sent together with the raw capture.

For small videos <4GB we use WeTransfer.

For showing some restoration (not the RAW captures) I use WeTransfer or a YouTube page I created in purpose, where I have no financial reward; when using YT some action is needed to do not let its compression alghoritm degradate the video too much.

To support the discussion in some threads, if needed, I upload some sequence on this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I use YouTube but for only old TV commercials, Customers' stuff are sent out via cloud or flash media, Basically I use the same process, capture, de-interlace, crop, resize to 1440x1080, After this step the HuffYUV resized lossless files for commercials are uploaded to YouTube, Customer stuff go another step of encoding to h.264, then sent out via cloud if the customer does not want the tapes back or flash media by snail mail along with the tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ArcanaXIX View Post
    Do some of you do this professionally and therefore just share with clients?
    ^ This.

In the 90s, early 00s, hobby work was shared via mail. VHS, DVD. Never VCD, crap format that it was.

I put a few commercials on Youtube, but that's really it.

You really cannot share well on Youtube, the draconian "AI" (really stupid AI) wants to take down everything. I understand full movies and TV, but it freaks out even with 5-10 seconds of music lyrics. So if I ever did share, there's no way in hell I'd do it on Youtube, I'd be wasting my time fighting the BS system.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I got those notices all the time even on public commercials, I just keep filing the appeal over and over until they get tired or they forget and it goes public, It works 8 out of 10 since 8 out of 10 are bogus claims from shady companies that don't own the rights but they bank on people giving up and take over the monetization, I don't give them that chance even when I'm not really eligible to monetize the video. It's getting out of control and Youtube's lack of real human staff allowed them to do anything.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Oh jeez that's right. I'm used to dealing with YouTube's crap on the audio side of things but hadn't had to worry about it impacting video as well before. If I'm just making dumb hobbyist camcoder videos that's one thing but for digitizing VHS footage.... that's right off the table then, huh. sigh.

Well if I ever do my own digitizing of these misc anime/cartoon VHS I have guess I will just share that with friends, for lack of anywhere to host it publicly that won't be dickheads about it. Thanks for the insight all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ArcanaXIX View Post
    Oh jeez that's right. I'm used to dealing with YouTube's crap on the audio side of things but hadn't had to worry about it impacting video as well before. If I'm just making dumb hobbyist camcoder videos that's one thing but for digitizing VHS footage.... that's right off the table then, huh. sigh.

Well if I ever do my own digitizing of these misc anime/cartoon VHS I have guess I will just share that with friends, for lack of anywhere to host it publicly that won't be dickheads about it. Thanks for the insight all.
    That's it.

Some folks have moved to trying this on Archive.org, starting late 2010s (17,18,19) but that loophole started to close back in 2020. People still post, but it gets slapped down quickly now. That's true even of public domain works, abandoned copyleft, etc. Shady a-holes blast out mass notices, don't care about accuracy.

You really have to host it yourself, and use a Youtube clone like phpMelody. You'll still get f'd with, but not anywhere near as much, and non-crappy web hosts won't knee-jerk take down the site at bogus claims. But if the claims are legit, problems.

It's still an underground scene, trading rare toons/TV, though I don't travel it anymore. One reason is a lot of it moved online only, with lower quality (bad captures, badly deinterlaced, compressed to hell and back, etc), using shady sites like Mega.

When you get around to capturing toons --- hopefully with good gear, TBCs, else why bother? -- then PM me.
    Especially 80s toons.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Will do! Probably gonna be a while though as I'm still on the hunt for the aforementioned good gear. I live in an area where I can usually get my hands on nice stuff for cheap on Craigslist with enough patience.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I primarily transfer concert footage for a few communities.

For specific bands, we distribute encodes to those communities. They usually land on the forums via torrents and also land on youtube.

We then update the sites to reflect the new stuff, for example:
    https://www.splra.org/wiki/index.php?title=20211223-Release-1994-04-15AMT1

Long term goal is to upload the full lossless transfers to the Live Music Archive of archive.org.

All this stuff is also backed up to s3 and local file servers.

I hang around here and dFAQ as there's a wealth of info and knowledgeable people for when I run into problems. And occasionally I can help someone else out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. own website plus html5 with webm codec or mp4 via hls for apple products.
    Quote Quote