VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search PM
    I can top that.
    Ever try to provide TOO MUCH bitrate to a Cinepak file (whether AVI or MOV). Ex.: 1500kbps vs 150kbps. You don't know what ugly looks like. Even besides the 16bit total per color (banding galore). Yes it was that badly designed.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 27th Jun 2022 at 09:35.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I can top that.
    Ever try to provide TOO MUCH bitrate to a Cinepak file
    I hated Cinepak, avoided it.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. maybe before your time?
    Yes , it all started with wmv for me
    Quote Quote  
  4. 4k products are premium, nothing cheap or free. Since this is for home video, I suggest html5, you write simple code and the video plays in your browser. This is the best option for cheap & free especially if you use WebM codec. If you insist on 4K disc then you have to pay the cost to be the boss or stick to BD. The good thing is there are many distribution options as opposed to VHS or DVD only.

Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    I remember authoring my own wedding DVD mid 2000 from captured VHS-C video files, it took me days trying to perfect it, I even used printable disc to print out the label using photoshop and Epson CD printer, What do I watch now if I want to go back and see it? The captured files from an external hard drive, Haven't played a DVD for over 15 years. Sorry if I went off topic.
    re edit the original files, encode to mp4 (AVC/AAC) then put on USB.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post
    4k products are premium, nothing cheap or free. Since this is for home video, I suggest html5, you write simple code and the video plays in your browser. This is the best option for cheap & free especially if you use WebM codec. If you insist on 4K disc then you have to pay the cost to be the boss or stick to BD. The good thing is there are many distribution options as opposed to VHS or DVD only.
    Sorry, was that an answer to my question about authoring 4k Blu-rays? Because no offense, but it's about the most far off answer to this question. First of all, you're wrong in that there's nothing free or cheap. There's Handbrake, which can produce files ready for 4K Blu-ray with the x265 encoder. And BD Rebuilder worked for me without re-encoding for a few days, then it started trying to reencode again, so I'm in the process of troubleshooting that, but I'm confident I will.

And HTML5 and WebM videos for my home videos that I want to keep for the rest of my life? Why would I do something so lame? I mean, why would I want to watch my memories on a computer monitor, or even use my TV as a second monitor and play those inside a browser, as opposed to VLC, or Quicktime Player in my Mac?

And the thing is, I was clear what I was looking for was to put my home videos in a Verbatim M disc so it lasts for decades, not some lame USB stick.

I mean, I'm fine with people even suggesting that I put the files as MP4s or MKVs on disc, but your WebM codec and HTML5 video player idea is just so lame, dude.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sebaz View Post
    your WebM codec and HTML5 video player idea is just so lame, dude.
    you're the lame for making this thread since you already had all the answers. No one has ever authored a UHD with handbrake, have fun though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sebaz View Post
    And the thing is, I was clear what I was looking for was to put my home videos in a Verbatim M disc so it lasts for decades, not some lame USB stick.

I mean, I'm fine with people even suggesting that I put the files as MP4s or MKVs on disc, but your WebM codec and HTML5 video player idea is just so lame, dude.
    I have video and other things stored on optical media too but I expect to transition to some other form of storage if I live long enough.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 4kblurayguru View Post
    your WebM codec and HTML5 video player idea is just so lame, dude.
    you're the lame for making this thread since you already had all the answers. No one has ever authored a UHD with handbrake, have fun though.
    Wrong. I didn't have all the answers when I started this thread. Why would I waste time typing if I had all the answers?

You're also wrong about no one authoring an UHD using Handbrake. I learned how to do that after weeks of doing research and trial and error. I mean, not strictly ONLY Handbrake, you can't author any disc with it, 4k or not, but it does a really good job at loading the Prores file I rendered out of FCPX, including chapters, and turning it into a file ready for BD Rebuilder to author without recompression and burning to a BD-R with ImgBurn. And these can be either SDR or HDR10 (not HDR10+).

So yes, there is a way to author a 4K Blu-ray from home videos or even professional ones from your favorite NLE to a Prores file, into Handbrake, and then to BD Rebuilder and finally ImgBurn. If anyone wants to know the details let me know. I've been meaning to write a guide but between work and daily life time is scarce. But I'll be happy to give a summary of the steps involved, I'm just not sure there are other video nerds like me that really care about this, since most people are happy with the magnificent and omniscient cloud.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So yes, there is a way to author a 4K Blu-ray from home videos or even professional ones from your favorite NLE to a Prores file, into Handbrake, and then to BD Rebuilder and finally ImgBurn. If anyone wants to know the details let me know. I've been meaning to write a guide but between work and daily life time is scarce. But I'll be happy to give a summary of the steps involved, I'm just not sure there are other video nerds like me that really care about this, since most people are happy with the magnificent and omniscient cloud.
    Technically, you encoded UHD video using Handbrake and authored that video using BDRebuilder. ...and although the resulting disc is playable using at least some UHD Blu-ray players, technically, it isn't true UHD Blu-ray because there is currently no official spec that covers UHD Blu-ray on burned media.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jul 2022 at 21:37.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, back 2 decades ago I was able to build an XVCD that had D1 (aka full SD) MPEG video in widescreen, and AC3 audio, could burn it and play it with a few rare software players. Didn't mean I had a real DVD though.

Ho, humm....

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Technically, you encoded UHD video using Handbrake and authored that video using BDRebuilder. ...and although the resulting disc is playable using at least some UHD Blu-ray players, technically, it isn't true UHD Blu-ray because there is currently no official spec that covers UHD Blu-ray on burned media.
    Yes, by "using Handbrake" I meant that it's part of the process that makes it possible. The real authoring is done by BD Rebuilder and the tools it relies on, like TS Muxer. And I don't care if it's a 100% full spec UHD Blu-ray, because it's as close as anyone can get these days, without owning a massive replication factory. But if it's not 100% in spec, it gets close enough that my old Sony and Oppo players read them without any problems.

I don't think the Blu-rays authored in Encore were totally in spec either, I remember them having problems in some brands of players. But they played in most, and if these UHD Blu-rays play fine in an Oppo and a Sony, I would assume they play fine in most major brands, and there aren't that many anyway because optical disc is dying.

So you can throw shit at my project all you want, I don't care. A month or so ago I set out to find out if there was a way that I could burn my home videos to a 4K Blu-ray, and I found out how. So to me that's the end of the story.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nobody is shitting on your project. However, if you want to play the nerd card, you should use the correct terminology to describe what you are doing.

Also, to be fair, if their manuals are accurate, some UHD Blu-ray players can play 4K video and compatible audio muxed into an M2TS container file and burned onto a Blu-ray disc without doing any authoring at all (assuming the bitrate is in range for burned Blu-ray media).
    Quote Quote