VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So the short of it is this. I had previously captured my SVHS tapes via a TRV720 with DV passthrough. I recently decided to try to redo my captures via my Hauppauge 2250 since it's no longer doing media center work and I have some time. I am trying to get an uncompressed capture without any DV artifacts and without the 4:1:1 chroma subsampling. The captured picture does look marginally better, however the audio volume is terribly low. Windows control panel doesn't list the Hauppauge as an input to change the volume. Does anyone know of a workaround to either get the Hauppauge inputs to show up or a way to edit (the registry?) the drivers to boost the volume? I tried just using my onboard Realtek audio inputs but I get popping in virtualdub...I assume because of sync issues. Any advice would be helpful (or is this even worth the effort and should I just stay with my DV archive.
    Last edited by ybarra; 16th Jun 2022 at 22:21.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would not bother re-capturing, but I guess I am in the minority on this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Are your audio sample rates matched for your realtek-in workaround? If between the input (realtek) and encoding (virtualdub) one is at 44.1k and the other 48k that may be causing your popping. Good thing to rule out, make sure they agree.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    OP what VCR are you using? And is the audio HiFi or just linear mono? Some tapes with linear mono have low gain audio level. Consumer cards are a pain to adjust the audio on them since they lack gain control in the driver. Off course it's worth to recapture especially for S-VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JVC HR-S7600U. You probably don't remember, but I was the one that sent you down the dynamic drum rabbit hole almost a decade ago when my 7600 locked up and I had to remove the head and adjust the gears to get it working again albeit unable to have a steady picture FF or REW because my DD calibration is off. Anyway...

I have a mix of tapes that are VHS-C in EP and SP and SVHS in SP. Some have Hi-Fi. Some have VITC timecode. Some are vanilla.

Basically my Hauppauge is capturing audio unacceptably low compared to DV passthrough on my Sony TRV720. So unless I can somehow expose it in Windows control panel so I can raise the volume, my only option is to use my onboard Realtek audio for the audio capture unless anyone has any other bright ideas.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I don't remember but I've been tinkering with the DD system for years now, I even wrote a procedure on how to disable it, it is in the sticky thread.
    Anyway, Probable Windows system won't be able to access your capture card audio driver control, nor the capture software. Try the Crossbar Thing and see if it can access the driver, look it up and download it.
    Worst comes to worst use an offboard audio capture device if the onboard card is giving you problems and hookup the VCR directly to it and link the capture software to it for audio input, though this way is problematic sometimes especially on Win 10.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ended up sticking with my DV passthrough archive. The audio popping happened regardless of using the Realtek onboard inputs or an external USB. However, it seemed to settle down after a few seconds of previewing and stopped popping so I was able to successfully capture an entire VHS-C tape. HOWEVER...the 2250's quality is just terrible even using an S cable. I did a frame by frame and the defaults were too dark. So I adjusted to match the approximate brightness/contrast of the DV passthrough but there was still too much pixel noise. Not sure if it's because I don't have a standalone TBC and the DV Camcorder acts as a TBC or what, but at least in my case my particular 2250 does not look better than the DV passthrough other than slightly better (more saturated) color. So I guess this project and this thread comes to a screeching halt. Thanks for everyone's input nonetheless.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Would you mind posting a small sample of each (Hauppauge 2250 adjusted for brightness/contrast vs DV passthrough) if you have them handy? I'm curious to see the side-by-side. Thanks for reporting back on your findings and I hope the DV passthrough is suitable for your needs regardless.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ArcanaXIX View Post
    Would you mind posting a small sample of each (Hauppauge 2250 adjusted for brightness/contrast vs DV passthrough) if you have them handy? I'm curious to see the side-by-side. Thanks for reporting back on your findings and I hope the DV passthrough is suitable for your needs regardless.
    I may have mis-spoke. I found a professional tape I had done with SMPTE bars and tone and was able to tweak the input settings using colortools vectorscope. I did a frame vs frame again and they now favor. I'll see if I can post some comparisons after some more testing.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the comparison. I can probably desaturate the HVR2250 a little more and shift the hue to exactly match the DV frame, but the settings on my HVR2250 are calibrated to the colortools vectorscope with SMPTE colorbars whereas I think my Sony TRV-720 may slightly desaturate and slightly shift the colors off the original. Personally, I don't see enough difference to warrant re-doing all the captures using the HVR2250...especially when the final renders will be x264 480P60 using Yadif BOB since that's the only way to get SD content at 60fps on Plex because it doesn't support interlaced.

x264 Lossless from HVR2250 (4:2:2)
    [Attachment 65515 - Click to enlarge]

DV Passthrough from Sony TRV-720 (4:1:1)
    [Attachment 65514 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by ybarra; 20th Jun 2022 at 23:39.
    Quote Quote