VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am working to convert one of my Warner HD-DVDs to blu-ray. This is a direct result of the shoddy hd-dvd manufacturing Warner put out on a number of HD-DVD titles.
    The title I am working on is marginal quality, but good enough for my hd-dvd drive in my tower computer to rip.
    Before someone tells me to just go buy the blu-ray (like I have done on a number of other rotted Warner HD-DVDs), this title apparently was never released on blu-ray.
    I've experimented with a number of processes and programs and I won't drag you through them. Following is what has worked best and where I am.
    I have successfully ripped the disc with makemkv resulting in the main title and added features now sitting on my hard disc as separate mkv files. All these files seem fine.
    I am using multiavchd to create a blu-ray disc. That works fine also, except for 1 issue.
    The problem I have run into regards the subtitles in the main movie as they are idx/sub format and multiavchd throws errors when trying to include them in the feature film output video.
    Multiavchd Log entries:
    Converting [Feature Presentation_t00.extr.005.eng.idx] to PGS/SUP (java:BDsup2sub)...
    [17:27:47] !!! Subtitles may be incomplete!
    [17:27:47] !!! Error converting subtitles! (java?)
    Makemkv included the idx & sub subtitle files in the output folder, so I searched and read about ways to convert the subtitles to sup or srt, but have not been successful using any program to convert.
    Is there a way to add the idx/sub subtitles into the multiavc created video somehow? Or maybe someone has run into this problem and developed a creative solution (or can point me to something I simply have missed in my efforts)?
    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Open BDSup2Sub and load the subtitles and output as sup and use mkvmerge to mux the sup to the mkv and load that into multiavchd.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You do have Java install? You could try to convert them yourself with BDSup2Sub or Subtitle Edit to Blu-Ray sup.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes - java is installed.
    I've tried both bdsup2sub & subtitle edit.
    BDSup2Sub: as soon as I try to load either the idx or sub file, the [program says "Invalid Control Buffer Size". I can't find anything to tell me what that means or what to do about it.
    SubtitleEdit: import VobSub - I give it the sub file, it acts like it loads it, but only indicates 6 subtitle lines, and doesn't display anything meaningful in ocr mode. I promise there are numerous subtitles - not just 6. And based on the multiavchd log, it looks to me like multiavchd calls bdsup2sub when processing subtitle files.
    I understand that I could be doing something terribly wrong trying to use these tools . . .
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Can you upload a subtitle to this site so i can try it myself to see if there's anything wrong with it?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There was an easier way but I have to dig up my old Win 7 laptop and see what I can find, a link, a software, I did few HD-DVD's but I'm not sure what was involved in the process.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sounds to me as is faulty already from the HD-DVD or (more likely) isn't extracted correcly by MakeMKV.

Have you search subtitle-pages to see if they may be there.
    Quote Quote  
  8. the subtitles work fine on the hd-dvd - and also in the mkv file.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. and here's the idx . . well, it doesn't want the idx to upload i guess . . .
    Quote Quote  
  10. chg file extension from txt to idx pls
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. I appreciate your efforts on my behalf!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
    I am working to convert one of my Warner HD-DVDs to blu-ray. This is a direct result of the shoddy hd-dvd manufacturing Warner put out on a number of HD-DVD titles.
    The title I am working on is marginal quality, but good enough for my hd-dvd drive in my tower computer to rip.
    Before someone tells me to just go buy the blu-ray (like I have done on a number of other rotted Warner HD-DVDs), this title apparently was never released on blu-ray.
    I've experimented with a number of processes and programs and I won't drag you through them. Following is what has worked best and where I am.
    I have successfully ripped the disc with makemkv resulting in the main title and added features now sitting on my hard disc as separate mkv files. All these files seem fine.
    I am using multiavchd to create a blu-ray disc. That works fine also, except for 1 issue.
    The problem I have run into regards the subtitles in the main movie as they are idx/sub format and multiavchd throws errors when trying to include them in the feature film output video.
    Multiavchd Log entries:
    Converting [Feature Presentation_t00.extr.005.eng.idx] to PGS/SUP (java:BDsup2sub)...
    [17:27:47] !!! Subtitles may be incomplete!
    [17:27:47] !!! Error converting subtitles! (java?)
    Makemkv included the idx & sub subtitle files in the output folder, so I searched and read about ways to convert the subtitles to sup or srt, but have not been successful using any program to convert.
    Is there a way to add the idx/sub subtitles into the multiavc created video somehow? Or maybe someone has run into this problem and developed a creative solution (or can point me to something I simply have missed in my efforts)?
    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    there's 2 programs to try to convert idx/sub format to srt - https://askubuntu.com/questions/1061147/convert-sub-idx-to-srt
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The subs you uploaded are faulty,i'm getting the same error message.How did you extract the subs?
    Quote Quote  
  14. makemkv extracted them when I used makemkv to import the video files off the hd-dvd disc.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Should I use a different program to import the hd-dvd video files and then demux them myself (assuming I can figure out how to do that).
    Quote Quote  
  16. i am trying "evo-demux" to see what it does for me. will report back.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use mkvcleaver to extract the subs.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Interesting . . . I am going top try to use the output of this evo-demux process and will report back probably tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
    Do you mean that the subtitles are working as they should during mkv playback? If not, I wonder if certain issues can be solved by first creating a full-disc backup with MakeMKV and then extract the subtitles with EVO demux from that backup.

Opening your idx with Subtitle Edit, the first sub image seems to be 1990 px wide. The second is even wider at 2246. I don't know if these are valid sizes for HD-DVD subtitles, but I can imagine such sizes causing problems with the software you use. On UHD-BD, SUPs are authored at max. 1920x1080.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Well, I backed up, deleted all my unworkable previous attempts and headed down a different road and it seems to have worked.
    The HD-DVD title in question has a 1 hr 47 min main movie and 9 extra special features ranging in length from a couple of minutes to over 14 minutes each. The source disc is a double layer disc, but only has about 15gb on it.
    I ripped it twice to separate folders - once with anydvdhd and again with makemkv.
    I processed the anydvdhd output folder with clownbd and got a workable main movie in blu-ray format from that.
    I ran multiavchd and input the main movie title created by clown_bd + the 9 special features files from makemkv.
    I ended up with a playable single layer blu-ray with a rudimentary opening menu and the main movie first followed by the special features in the order I selected.
    The main movie had its audio track converted from dolby digital+ to lpcm (which is fine) and working english subtitles tracks.
    I am glad to have this title in working blu-ray format and done fussing with it!
    Quote Quote