VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm using a Startech Composite/S-Video to HDMI converter and Avermedia HDMI capture card to capture VHS from my S-Video JVC VCR. The Startech converter automatically deinterlaces the video. Should I be capturing at 29 or 59.94 fps in OBS? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Wrong devices, wrong capture software. You should use a USB or a PCIe capture device or card and vdub or AmarecTV as a capture software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Wrong devices, wrong capture software. You should use a USB or a PCIe capture device or card and vdub or AmarecTV as a capture software.
    Sorry I just got what I could afford.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    With those combined you could have afforded a USB capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    With those combined you could have afforded a USB capture device.
    Which one?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The best way to capture VHS is at it's native resolution (720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL), interlaced using a lossless codec.
    Solutions involving VCR > HDMI > capture are usually disappointing

You should probably do some test captures using your setup and post some sample to the thread here
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    The best way to capture VHS is at it's native resolution (720x480 NTSC or 720x576 PAL), interlaced using a lossless codec.
    Solutions involving VCR > HDMI > capture are usually disappointing

You should probably do some test captures using your setup and post some sample to the thread here
    I just captured at 29.97, 59.94, and 60fps. Should I also try 30fps? This is a NTSC VHS in NTSC VCR. I tried 720x480 but it was too wide (3:2). So I did 640x480 which matched the capture input (4:3). I'm probably missing something here. Thanks for any help.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    looks to me like the 59.94 is just repeated frames, but difficult to judge definitively because
    the animation itself has repeated frames - live action would have been better

As it looks, I don't see any benefit to the higher frame rate. Perhaps others will comment
    Last edited by davexnet; 14th Jun 2022 at 17:55.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    looks to me like the 59.94 is just repeated frames, but difficult to judge definitively because
    the animation itself has repeated frames - live action would have been better

As it looks, I don't see any benefit to the higher frame rate. Perhaps others will comment
    Ok thanks that should reduce the file size too. Should I do 29.97 or 30 fps though?
    Quote Quote  
  10. No, the 59.94 fps video captured every field of the source -- with poor deinterlacing. The 29.97 fps has a duplicate every 5th frame, also with poor deinterlacing. The former would definitely be smoother with true interlaced video (like from a camcorder). It would also be smoother with film sources (like these) -- it would have 3:2 judder but not a jerk every 1/5 second. Of course, either could be decimated back to the original 23.976 fps film frames (aside from the deinterlacing artifacts, VHS noise, etc.).
    Quote Quote  
  11. If I had to live with these caps I would start with something like this with the 59.94 fps film caps (sample attached):

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("640x480-59.94fps.avi") # get the source
    Merge(last, Loop(2,0,0)) # blur consecutive frames together (to reduce shimmering from the poor deinterlacing)
    SRestore(frate=23.976) # get rid of the blended frames leaving the original 23.976 fps film frames
    QTGMC(InputType=2) # further clean up horizontal edges
    With true interlaced video I'd just use QTGMC to reduce some of the shimmering edges:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("640x480-59.94fps.avi") 
    QTGMC(InputType=2) # just clean up the deinterlace shimmering
    The brights appear to be capped at Y=235 leaving some of them crushed. Check to see if you can adjust the capture devices to prevent those crushed brights.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    If I had to live with these caps I would start with something like this with the 59.94 fps film caps (sample attached):

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("640x480-59.94fps.avi") # get the source
    Merge(last, Loop(2,0,0)) # blur consecutive frames together (to reduce shimmering from the poor deinterlacing)
    SRestore(frate=23.976) # get rid of the blended frames leaving the original 23.976 fps film frames
    QTGMC(InputType=2) # further clean up horizontal edges
    With true interlaced video I'd just use QTGMC to reduce some of the shimmering edges:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("640x480-59.94fps.avi") 
    QTGMC(InputType=2) # just clean up the deinterlace shimmering
    The brights appear to be capped at Y=235 leaving some of them crushed. Check to see if you can adjust the capture devices to prevent those crushed brights.
    Wow! Your attachment looks a lot better. Less artifacts, smoother edges. Can I apply your (ffmpeg?) code in Handbrake? I've been using NVENC H265 preset when converting the AVI to MP4. Also, would this device be better for capturing?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013LVK2C/

If not, which capture device would you suggest? My current S-Video to HDMI converter doesn't allow me to turn it's deinterlacing off. Maybe it would be better to capture it interlaced, and deinterlace on my computer instead.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Again, you just need a regular capture device, HDMI doesn't have to be involved especially when paying $249 for a TV scaler. I have the exact same model and that's what I use it for, scaling analog sources to TV.
    A member is having a similar problem:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/406026-HDMI-USB-Capture-with-576i-%28uncompressed%29-support
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Again, you just need a regular capture device, HDMI doesn't have to be involved especially when paying $249 for a TV scaler. I have the exact same model and that's what I use it for, scaling analog sources to TV.
    A member is having a similar problem:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/406026-HDMI-USB-Capture-with-576i-%28uncompressed%29-support
    Will this work better? Elgato Video Capture - Digitize Video for Mac, PC or iPad (USB 2.0) https://a.co/d/1CywKcy

Do I need a TBC? I heard they are really expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    There are better capture devices than Elgato, Open a new thread with the right title and you will get help from members who use them.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by boolian2 View Post
    I just captured at 29.97, 59.94, and 60fps. Should I also try 30fps? This is a NTSC VHS in NTSC VCR. I tried 720x480 but it was too wide (3:2). So I did 640x480 which matched the capture input (4:3). I'm probably missing something here. Thanks for any help.
    720x480 is standard for DVD video and SD Blu-ray video. Non-square pixels are used for video with 720x480 resolution when flagged to use a 4:3 display aspect ratio.

On the other hand, 640x480 uses square pixels when displayed at 4:3.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by boolian2 View Post
    720x480 is standard for DVD video and SD Blu-ray video. Non-square pixels are used for video with 720x480 resolution when flagged to use a 4:3 display aspect ratio.

On the other hand, 640x480 uses square pixels when displayed at 4:3.
    I'm just watching the files, not putting them on disc
    Quote Quote  
  18. 640x480 is perfectly fine if you don't want to bother with non-square pixels. A short video of mine may help.
    Quote Quote