VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some MKVs where I have been editing the subtitles with Subtitle Edit, and I would like them to match some of my other video subtitles. However, I'm not sure of the font or the size used in my original MKVs. Is there any way I can find out???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is there any way I can find out???
    Depends.

If the subtitle format is .srt it's determined by the player.

If it's something like .ass or .ttxt you can drop it on SE. For .ass press F2 to see the style defenition. For .ttxt you'll see the xml code directly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's originally from BluRay and is PGS, but I have no way of understanding how SE actually works with formats such as this, as it's not clearly listed in the available formats on the first page? When I go to Export it's there as BluRay Sup, but it doesn't tell me the default, only that I can convert it to another format one which I had put together a few weeks back when creating another video. I had used a specific font where I played around with colours etcetera, and this setting keeps popping up again.

I suspect I can solve my problem by getting this back to its default setting, but I don't know how to go about fixing this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    One way to figure it out is to load a copy of the clip with burned-in titles into an NLE and then just overlay some more (new) titles somehat above the originals, with the words describing the font size. Depending on the nle you might be able to do this all on one screen, scene, but some may take more screens/passes. You should try to approximate the type style or at least family of font, though, because there can be much variation of what constitutes "12 pt", for example.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. I managed to solve my problem. As I still had other videos with the same subtitle format in it I opened one in Subtitle Edit Beta, and the one I am editing in Subtitle Edit. The Beta version still had the original Export settings before I had changed them, so I duplicated them and now I am once again able to use the original default settings once more!
    Quote Quote  
  6. I actually didn't manage to solve this problem, only to solve the settings on Subtitle Edit Export.

I am still unsure as to how I can convert my subtitles? As I said they are Blu-Ray Sup, and what I really just want to do is add a gap of about 2 seconds into them? I see here mention of an NLE, which I have no idea is, nor do I understand why Subtitle Edit won't instantly import these subtitles in the same layout they originally have? I have included a picture of my source video for assistance. As you will see the original video was 4:3, and the subtitles appear on 4 lines. Subtitle Edit imports this in just 2 lines and wants to do widescreen. How can I fix this?
    Also, when I try to edit manually Subtitle Edit won't let me add a fourth line?

Is there any software to import this format without rearranging the layout of the original without asking me first?Image
    [Attachment 65386 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. How do I stop Subtitle Edit from automatically changing words in OCR?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    The font used here appears to be "Tiresias Infofont".
    Good choice for subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I dont't think the font is the OP problem anymore. But I drop a test on WhatsTheFont and it agrees with Skiller.

[Attachment 65412 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  10. Based on the help you have all given me I have just one question:-

I've downloaded Tiresias Infofont into Subtitle Edit. Thanks for that info! How can I import the subtitles I have without Subtitle Edit mucking around with them? It looks fine on the screen when going through the OCR system, but then it has this habit of changing things that didn't need to ve changed in the first place?

Are there any other subtitle programs I can use instead that will don't use the OCR and will import as is?
    Last edited by magnu; 14th Jun 2022 at 12:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Understand that most Blu-ray subs are in essence PICTURES with images of text on them, not text. To be re-used/re-usable, the MUST get converted through OCR, or you could go the long way around and manually type them in again yourself (I have had to do this on a few occasions where font was strange, language was strange, or OCR just couldn't get it right and would require too much post editing).

You cannot use Blu-ray subs in other applications unless those end-user playback applications explicitly support Blu-ray type subs. Most do not, preferring text-based subs.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. and what I really just want to do is add a gap of about 2 seconds into them?
    Then it sounds to me what you wants is to change the time codes of a PGS file.

Open the PGS in SE. Untick "Prompt for unknown words". Run the OCR. Don't mind the formatting. What you want from this is the time codes. Introduce your gaps and whatever. Just save it as .srt.

Open the PGS again and rigth-click in the "Subtitle Text" window and use the time codes from the srt file you created. Right click once more and select "Export -> Blu-ray sup"

[Attachment 65413 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Understand that most Blu-ray subs are in essence PICTURES with images of text on them, not text. To be re-used/re-usable, the MUST get converted through OCR, or you could go the long way around and manually type them in again yourself (I have had to do this on a few occasions where font was strange, language was strange, or OCR just couldn't get it right and would require too much post editing).

You cannot use Blu-ray subs in other applications unless those end-user playback applications explicitly support Blu-ray type subs. Most do not, preferring text-based subs.

Scott
    I understand what you mean. However, when playing around with the various Engine settings in SE it would sometimes get some of the words correct that another Engine might stuff up but change other words, so I'm not too sure which setting is best (maybe the original default)?

It's not easy to find an instruction manual for this software online that actually makes complete sense, as many of the settings (particularly in OCR) aren't explained properly.

My guess is that it works better with actual text and not pictures.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    and what I really just want to do is add a gap of about 2 seconds into them?
    Then it sounds to me what you wants is to change the time codes of a PGS file.

Open the PGS in SE. Untick "Prompt for unknown words". Run the OCR. Don't mind the formatting. What you want from this is the time codes. Introduce your gaps and whatever. Just save it as .srt.

Open the PGS again and rigth-click in the "Subtitle Text" window and use the time codes from the srt file you created. Right click once more and select "Export -> Blu-ray sup"

[Attachment 65413 - Click to enlarge]

Thanks for this. Works perfectly!
    Quote Quote