VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    I need to recover some DVDs game, they are scratched and don't play properly. If anyone has experience, what would be the best method?
    [Attachment 65348 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    are these computer games or playstation / xbox games ??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Both but more xbox
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the general discussion forum.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best method would be to give the serial number/code to the game designer,i did that for a few games and don't need to install from a dvd anymore
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    Both but more xbox
    there is a gizmo called the Skip Dr that'll repair your discs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGACqFfOiE4
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Best method would be to give the serial number/code to the game designer,i did that for a few games and don't need to install from a dvd anymore
    What did they do?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I once had a couple of games that would no longer play properly due to scratches. Knowing that DVD rental stores have contracts with disc repair companies, I asked at my local DVD rental store if they would send in my discs in with their next batch. They were very keen on helping me (I was a customer there as well) and agreed. I gave them, I think, 10€ for the effort. It took a couple of weeks before I got my discs back but when I got them back they were, and this is no exaggeration, like new. Not even a trace of a scratch left.

There exist industrial machines, that cost way too much to buy them for home usage, which sand down the surface of the discs to perfection.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1

Check your local library or used videogame store as they may have a professional machine. Ask them what they use. If they say anything handheld like the SkipDr which may make the disk worse, walkaway. What you're looking for is a standalone machine like the JFJ https://www.jfjeasypro.com/shopnew/ that will correctly remove a layer of the disk surface, then clean and buff it. Deep scratches may require several passes. Note that there's a limit to how many times a disk can be buffed as the polycarbonate layer is extremely thin.

Don't try home DIY remedies like using Brasso as it will likely only make the disk worse.
    Last edited by lingyi; 12th Jun 2022 at 10:33.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flashandpan007 View Post
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    What did they do?
    The Game makers included the games in the library where i can download them.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Like others have said, if there is still a place around you that rents discs the check them out. I've taken some scratched discs to such a place and they run it through an industrial disc polisher the size of a small filing cabinet. Comes out shiny and smooth as new.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there is a gizmo called the Skip Dr that'll repair your discs
    Bad advice, it won't repair squat.

Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    I need
    Search the forum for similar threads, especially those where I discussed the RTI DisCheck. Those cost $$$$, so locate a local place that can run the disc. Most charge a few bucks, if anything.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote