VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello guys, I have a problem to remove this artifact that I believe is halo, correct? I tried in every way all possible combinations, Alpha_dehalo, FineDeHalo etc.. and nothing works, at most it's a small decrease, has anyone gone through this and have a solution?
    Thanks.
    [Attachment 65280 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 65283 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Could also be chroma ghosting,... -> post an short unprocessed (= no deinterlacing, filtering etc. applied) sample
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. 15 second video.

sample.mkv
    Last edited by Andreselos; 9th Jun 2022 at 05:04.
    Quote Quote  
  4. For the negative ghost try:

Code:
    Overlay(last, last, x=14, opacity=0.03)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nice catch jagabo !

before:

after:

I used VapourSynth with
    Code:
    clip = havsfunc.Overlay(base=clip, overlay=clip, x=14, opacity=0.03, planes=[0])
    which should do the same as jagabo AviSynth call, aside that I only overlayed the luma channel.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks for helping me, is there any way to improve even more without losing details, or is it the most you can get?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I am amazed that jagabo (who is brilliant, BTW) was able to get any improvement at all. While haloing is a very common problem, it is extremely difficult to fix because both the detection AND the fixes are difficult. With two tall hills to climb, more often than not you make everything look worse.

A LOT worse.

Detection is especially difficult in this case because of the stage lighting. Is the purple highlighting on his back and the top of his right shoulder a halo, or is it from a kicker light behind him? I can give other examples, but that one is the most obvious.

As another example of why it is difficult, there is obviously some haze (what are they smoking in the audience these days?) and when you have a spot on a performer, which is clearly the case here, that spot can throw a shadow into that haze. In fact, that may be what you are seeing, in which case it shouldn't be fixed because it belongs there.

So I'd take Jagabo's excellent, if rather slight, improvement, run with it, and enjoy the concert.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
    I am amazed that jagabo (who is brilliant, BTW) was able to get any improvement at all. While haloing is a very common problem, it is extremely difficult to fix because both the detection AND the fixes are difficult. With two tall hills to climb, more often than not you make everything look worse.

A LOT worse.

Detection is especially difficult in this case because of the stage lighting. Is the purple highlighting on his back and the top of his right shoulder a halo, or is it from a kicker light behind him? I can give other examples, but that one is the most obvious.

As another example of why it is difficult, there is obviously some haze (what are they smoking in the audience these days?) and when you have a spot on a performer, which is clearly the case here, that spot can throw a shadow into that haze. In fact, that may be what you are seeing, in which case it shouldn't be fixed because it belongs there.

So I'd take Jagabo's excellent, if rather slight, improvement, run with it, and enjoy the concert.
    the impression it gives is that the light hits his shoulder and makes everything clearer, I don't believe it's "halo", this show is from 1990 as old as it is, it's fascinating how amateur footage like that does better than a lot pro-shot around the same time, the problem is that I'm going to upscale this show with VEAI, and any apparent halo intensifies, but ok I think it's better to keep it that way, I never got around to removing those damn halos hahaha, Thank u for helping me, I've been racking my brain for weeks with this video..
    Quote Quote  
  9. I am not sure which halo is being discussed. The color one?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sample-01.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	65300  

Quote Quote  
  10. I am not sure which halo is being discussed
    the dark halo on the right.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I am not sure which halo is being discussed. The color one?
    Difficult to qualify the problem in that video. Jagabo addressed it as a "ghosting", with a similar approach he used here for a much more evident ghosting: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/405927-Ghost-on-analog-capture

the problem is that I'm going to upscale this show with VEAI
    For that kind of material the real problem is using Topaz VEAI. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    I am not sure which halo is being discussed. The color one?
    Difficult to qualify the problem in that video. Jagabo addressed it as a "ghosting", with a similar approach he used here for a much more evident ghosting: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/405927-Ghost-on-analog-capture

the problem is that I'm going to upscale this show with VEAI
    For that kind of material the real problem is using Topaz VEAI. Good luck!
    Yes friend, everything intensifies with veai, but what can I do, I have a channel focused on that, taking advantage of the topic, is there anything I can do to fix these lines around the edges?

15 second video!

sample2.mkv

I know there are many other problems in this video, but the only one I can't deal with is these lines.

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Just to be sure:

(used DPIR denoise strength 15 for clean-up of the general noise&co)
    What are you refering to when you write 'these lines' the lines at A or B?
    Or other lines? Best make a PNG screenshot and mark what you mean.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  14. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    used DPIR denoise strength 15 for clean-up of the general noise&co
    Nicely done without loosing details!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Just to be sure:

(used DPIR denoise strength 15 for clean-up of the general noise&co)
    What are you refering to when you write 'these lines' the lines at A or B?
    Or other lines? Best make a PNG screenshot and mark what you mean.

Cu Selur
    [Attachment 65305 - Click to enlarge]

Ok thanks, and here some examples.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Seems similar to first sample. Give to jagabo Overlay approach a try. But lines highlighted by Selur are also ugly, halos + chroma bleeding
    Quote Quote  
  17. ok i will try when i get home!
    Quote Quote  
  18. The overlay trick will not work with those. But DeHalo_Alpha even at default settings should lessen the intensity of these.
    Problem is to remove the halo while keeping general sharpness, so masking+dehalo might be a good approach.
    Last edited by Selur; 10th Jun 2022 at 05:21.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    The overlay trick will not work with those. But DeHalo_Alpha even at default settings should lessen the intensity of these.
    Problem is to remove the halo while keeping general sharpness, so masking+dehalo might be a good approach.
    hey selur, why doesn't "DPIRdenoise" appear in the hybrid for me?
    Quote Quote  
  20. @Andreserlos: That's simple it's part of the torch-Addon for Hybrid which is ~12GB and too large to host it for the general public. Also requries an NVIDA gpu prederably with 8GB or more RAM. If you got an NVIDIA gpu, I can send you links to my current dev and the current torch-Addon version.

this is what DeHalo_alpha does at default settings:

(removes tons of 'light' halos, but the stronger ones are still there)
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    @Andreserlos: That's simple it's part of the torch-Addon for Hybrid which is ~12GB and too large to host it for the general public. Also requries an NVIDA gpu prederably with 8GB or more RAM. If you got an NVIDIA gpu, I can send you links to my current dev and the current torch-Addon version.
    Too bad I have an AMD RX 5700 XT
    but this torch-addon is only for nvidia?
    maybe there are other plugins that can work for me or not?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Sorry, at least I got no addon bundle for AMD cards.
    https://github.com/HolyWu/vs-dpir itself could be used through oxrunntime and DirectML which should also run on AMD cards, but I have no experience setting up a Vapoursynth environment that would work with AMD cards and all the suff vs-dpir depends on.
    MC Temporal Denoise with 'very high' is somewhat similar to DPIR.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Sorry, at least I got no addon bundle for AMD cards.
    https://github.com/HolyWu/vs-dpir itself could be used through oxrunntime and DirectML which should also run on AMD cards, but I have no experience setting up a Vapoursynth environment that would work with AMD cards and all the suff vs-dpir depends on.
    MC Temporal Denoise with 'very high' is somewhat similar to DPIR.
    I understand then I'll do a search.
    about Alpha_Dehalo I've tried in every way to remove these lines, with dehalo, dering, LGhost etc.. without success
    Quote Quote  
  24. try: YAHR and MCTemporalDenoise

Code:
    # denoising using MCTemporalDenoise
    clip = havsfunc.MCTemporalDenoise(i=clip, settings="very high", ncpu=1)
    # applying dehalo using YAHR
    clip = havsfunc.YAHR(clip, blur=10, depth=48)
    and try tweaking the settings of both YAHR and MCTemporalDenoise.
    Here also a screenshot of DPIR+YAHR:

(not that much of a difference)

Cu Selur

Ps.: mainly adjusting the blur and depth value of YAHR should help with these halos, but remember to also check the other scenes. Strong dehalo can really mess with stuff.
    Last edited by Selur; 10th Jun 2022 at 06:27.
    Quote Quote  
  25. btw. there are some strong dark halos in some scenes, I doubt you can get rid of those,..
    Also depending on your time and motivation you might want to filter by scene.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    try: YAHR and MCTemporalDenoise

Code:
    # denoising using MCTemporalDenoise
    clip = havsfunc.MCTemporalDenoise(i=clip, settings="very high", ncpu=1)
    # applying dehalo using YAHR
    clip = havsfunc.YAHR(clip, blur=10, depth=48)
    and try tweaking the settings of both YAHR and MCTemporalDenoise.
    Here also a screenshot of DPIR+YAHR:

(not that much of a difference)

Cu Selur

Ps.: mainly adjusting the blur and depth value of YAHR should help with these halos, but remember to also check the other scenes. Strong dehalo can really mess with stuff.
    Ok!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Ok thanks a lot, i change to blur 1 on YAHR, and apparently the other scenes are also much better..

[Attachment 65314 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    btw. there are some strong dark halos in some scenes, I doubt you can get rid of those,..
    Also depending on your time and motivation you might want to filter by scene.
    yes really, as it's a short video maybe I'll do scene by scene, what is the best way to remove these dark halos?
    Quote Quote  
  29. what is the best way to remove these dark halos?
    No, clue that is why I wrote: "I doubt you can get rid of those,.."
    Quote Quote