VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    I had a SL-HF2100 and yes, it was amazing! However, the touchscreen remote was a pain to use because you had to look at the screen and deliberately push the center of the button. .
    Then it was not possible to use a remote from a lesser model in the line with it ? At least for some of the basic functions ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could, and I used an SL-HF900 remote, my preferred remote for all my machines. I think it recognized either remote setting 1 or 2 which I think was introduced with the SL-HF900 / SL-HF1000 to prevent the signal being picked up by both machines at once.

Another major thing I didn't like about the remote was that it was so bright! So not only did you have to look at screen (I think the area around the button was slightly raised), but in a dark room it blinded you. Same reason I've tried and stopped using a smartphone for any of my media players or PCs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    There is also the industrial EDW-30F with S-Video out, It's pretty much a stripped down version of the EDV-9500, no tuner, no timer, no remote control.
    Another industrial machine was the EDC-55, the prosumer ED-Beta camcorder. Another consideration during my Betaphile days that I dreamed of having but couldn't justify buying.

FYI for those who may not be familiar with the ED-Beta lines. While ED-Beta remained a niche market in the U.S., with only the EDV-7500 / EDV-9000 (EDV-7300 / EDV-9300 in Canada) editing combo released here. I was shocked when I stumbled upon the lower cost, clearly home oriented Japanese models (EDV-5000, EDV-6000 and EDV-8000) on eBay.
    Last edited by lingyi; 15th Jun 2022 at 12:29.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FYI, one of the regular members of digitalfaq.com is selling a refurbed SL-HF950. Might be a better than a repair of your existing machine.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/marketplace/12797-sony-betamax-sl.html
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I think the EDV-9000 is a Japanese model, The US model is EDV-9500 and came in two colors black and beige.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! I stand corrected. The EDV-X000 series are the Japanese models. EDV-9500 and EDV-7500 are the U.S. models.

I've never seen beige EDV-9000. Though I'm guessing it's the beige/white color of the pro machines, which makes sense.

Some of the Japan only home consumer EDV models were available in black and silver, matching their intended home market usage.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    There is also the industrial EDW-30F with S-Video out, It's pretty much a stripped down version of the EDV-9500, no tuner, no timer, no remote control.
    Another industrial machine was the EDC-55, the prosumer ED-Beta camcorder. Another consideration during my Betaphile days that I dreamed of having but couldn't justify buying.

FYI for those who may not be familiar with the ED-Beta lines. While ED-Beta remained a niche market in the U.S., with only the EDV-7500 / EDV-9000 (EDV-7300 / EDV-9300 in Canada) editing combo released here. I was shocked when I stumbled upon the lower cost, clearly home oriented Japanese models (EDV-5000, EDV-6000 and EDV-8000) on eBay.
    I think the Japanese fondness for gadgets and consumer devices is pretty well established, and it comes as no surprise that they would have several more models of a given this or that cross their market than we were likely to see.

From what I recall, pro level Beta camcorders continued in use in the field for tv news operations long after the domestic consumer market had run its course . . . until digital recording gear took over. During that time, was ED-Beta the system they used ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, in Japan high quality is appreciated. They had HDTV and MUSE HD LD in 1991. And in 2018, they launched NHK BS8K, an 8K satellite broadcast service that aired the 2020 Olympics. They also have NHK BS4K. A 4K satellite broadcast channel.

As I recall, yes, the EDC-55, which I believe is the only ED-Beta cam was used as low cost supplement to high end analog professional format cameras, which cost multiple times the price. The modern day equivalent would be using a GoPro for insert footage or where the camera by be damaged. Dirty Jobs does this with "cheap" multi-thousand dollar cameras that sometimes gets destroyed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the late 80's and early 90's, I used to pour over the ads in Japanese electronics magazines despite not knowing any Japanese. This is how I learned about the SL-HF2700 and EDV-9000 / EDV-7000 (EDV-9500 / EDV-7500) long before they were introduced to the U.S. market. I knew the Sony sales reps because I'd hang around the stores they were assigned to and when I mentioned what I saw was available in Japan, [their answers] ranged from "I don't know if it will come to the U.S." to "How do you know that?".
    Last edited by lingyi; 16th Jun 2022 at 13:00.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Yes, in Japan high quality is appreciated. They had HDTV and MUSE HD LD in 1991.
    Actually it is as far back as the 80's, They did the first HDVS demonstration in 1981 in Algeria, They launched the format in 1984, The following demos are from 1988 to 1991, I'm still in search for the 1981 demo:

1988, 1988, 1988, 1988, 1989, 1989, 1990, 1990, 1991
    Quote Quote