VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, all!

I'm looking to create a blank/mute AVI file that's just a black screen with no audio, and that's less than 1 second long, ideally 0.1 or 0.2 seconds.

I'm doing this to create a simple mod, where all the unskippable intro movies in the game MVP Baseball 2005 are replaced by this short mute blank file that's only 0.1/2 seconds long.

Seeing how the game plays three unskippable movies consecutively that are around ~5 seconds long, this mod would be such a relief to have.

Anyway, the AVI file's metadata has to be:
    • Resolution: 640x480
    • Aspect Ratio: 4:3
    • FPS: 25

The only thing missing is the duration, which is, as I said preferably 0.1 or 0.2 seconds long.

The in-game files are in VP6 extension, that is, they use the On2's VP60 video codec, and I did manage to find a way how to compress AVI files using that codec, so the only thing remaining is to create an actual AVI file that I will convert to VP6.

Now, I did manage to find a blank AVI file from someone on videohelp.com (here), but the problem is that file is 5 seconds long, and I couldn't manage to find a way on how to trim AVI files, without them being corrupted or changing extensions.

So I can do this in two ways:

Either I find a way to trim this 5-seconds AVI video file that I downloaded, or I create a new AVI file with my specified length, and properties, and compress it using On2's VP6 codec using VirtualDub

I think I would prefer the latter option, as I believe it is less complex than the former one.

So, does anyone know how can I achieve this? What software would I need to use, and how could I create such a file?

Thanks in forward!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/BlankClip

Code:
    BlankClip( fps=25, length=5, pixel_type="RGB24" ).KillAudio
    Save this as "myvideo.avs" script, open with VirtualDub2, then encode it [Avisynth must be installed].
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now, I did manage to find a blank AVI file from someone on videohelp.com (here), but the problem is that file is 5 seconds long, and I couldn't manage to find a way on how to trim AVI files, without them being corrupted or changing extensions.
    Just open this in Virtual Dub, trim the end off (put the Play marker/cursor on your desired length and click the black right-pointing arrow; the selected bit will turn blue) and Save Video... with Video>Direct Stream Copy. You'll get an AVI. If you want to encode it to another coded (VP6), go to Video>Full Processing mode

[Attachment 65166 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Or with only VirtualDub2:

1) Start the program.

2) Select Tools -> Create Test Video, then 640 (640x480) and One of the test types (we're going to filter it to all black so it doesn't matter which).

3) Video -> Filters, then Add... Add the Brightness/Contrast filter. Move both sliders all the way to the left. You should now see a black output pane.

4) Video -> Frame Rate... enable Change Frame Rate to... 25.

5) Use the Mark-in and Mark-out tools (aka Edit -> Set Selection Start and Edit - Set Selection End) at the main window to select the length you want (as shown in Alwyn's image).

6) Audio -> No Audio.

7) If you have a VP6 VFW encoder installed it should show up in Video -> Compression. Select and configure it. If you don't, just leave the compression set at "uncompressed RGB/YCbCr" (and use your other method of converting to VP6).

8 File - Save Video... Select a location and name, then save.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/BlankClip

Code:
    BlankClip( fps=25, length=5, pixel_type="RGB24" ).KillAudio
    Save this as "myvideo.avs" script, open with VirtualDub2, then encode it [Avisynth must be installed].
    Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Just open this in Virtual Dub, trim the end off (put the Play marker/cursor on your desired length and click the black right-pointing arrow; the selected bit will turn blue) and Save Video... with Video>Direct Stream Copy. You'll get an AVI. If you want to encode it to another coded (VP6), go to Video>Full Processing mode
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Or with only VirtualDub2:

1) Start the program.

2) Select Tools -> Create Test Video, then 640 (640x480) and One of the test types (we're going to filter it to all black so it doesn't matter which).

3) Video -> Filters, then Add... Add the Brightness/Contrast filter. Move both sliders all the way to the left. You should now see a black output pane.

4) Video -> Frame Rate... enable Change Frame Rate to... 25.

5) Use the Mark-in and Mark-out tools (aka Edit -> Set Selection Start and Edit - Set Selection End) at the main window to select the length you want (as shown in Alwyn's image).

6) Audio -> No Audio.

7) If you have a VP6 VFW encoder installed it should show up in Video -> Compression. Select and configure it. If you don't, just leave the compression set at "uncompressed RGB/YCbCr" (and use your other method of converting to VP6).

8 File - Save Video... Select a location and name, then save.
    Thanks for the replies everyone, but I actually found another way, and that was with using ffpmeg CLI with the command line:
    ffmpeg.exe - i <yourfile.avi> -t 00:00:00.100 -c copy c:\out.avi
    Then I simply compressed the video with VP60 codec using VirtualDub, and voila! Problem solved!

Anyway, just for future reference, I see some users recommending the original VirtualDub, and some recommending VirtualDub2. What exactly is the difference between these two, and if I were to come across the same problem like I did with this one, which of these two programs should I use?

Thanks again for the help guys !
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by tetsuro1 View Post
    Anyway, just for future reference, I see some users recommending the original VirtualDub, and some recommending VirtualDub2. What exactly is the difference between these two, and if I were to come across the same problem like I did with this one, which of these two programs should I use?
    VirtualDub hasn't been updated in 8 years. VirtualDub2 is a fork that's still being updated. It has several built in codecs and support for output to MP4, MOV, MKV, and several other containers. And lots of other feature updates. For a while it was less less stable than the original it's pretty stable now. There's very little reason to use the older VirtualDub now.
    Quote Quote