VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most of my analog recordings are from Y/C signal of a dvb-s set-up box, and, except for low resolution and occasional mpeg2 artifacts, are quite clean.

One of my recording is from a terrestrial antenna, thus analog broadcast, and suffers from a ghost problem (a light copy of the picture shifted on the right, 2 echoes). Typical problem of not optimal TV reception of that time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ghosting.png
Views:	140
Size:	747.7 KB
ID:	65146

I tried GhostBuster AviSYnth plugin and Exorcist VirtualDub plugin without success.

Any alternative idea on how to reduce the problem?

sample attached, HuffYUV raw capture: ghosting.avi
    Quote Quote  
  2. if the ghosting is just on the logo, may be something like InpaintDelogo can help to remove the logo and the ghosting (or just the ghosting).
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your suggestion, Selur!

It is more visible on the logo, but the whole frame is ghosted. If I will not be able to reduce the whole ghosting, I will focus just on the logo. Master VoodooFX will have a new customer for his script!
    Quote Quote  
  4. users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  5. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Will try and post results, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No success with LGhost either
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    One of my recording is from a terrestrial antenna, thus analog broadcast, and suffers from a ghost problem (a light copy of the picture shifted on the right, 2 echoes). Typical problem of not optimal TV reception of that time.
    This is from a VHS recording of an analog OTA broadcast? That would make the ghosting the result of multipath reception? And on top of that you have VHS halos?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes to all your questions.

n addition to the deghost available filters I was also experimenting a denoise+mask, but no success so far
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't think that you can remove such ghosting, but I think that InpaintDelogo can remove such ghosting around the logo.
    How long is your recording with this logo?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hello master of BananaDeinterlacer and Logo removal

I don't think that you can remove such ghosting
    So far I failed in all of my attempts

but I think that InpaintDelogo can remove such ghosting around the logo.
    I will try for sure. It is where the ghosting is more visible.

How long is your recording with this logo?
    All time. Actually is a 2 hours movie not available in any other form (except in private recordings from TV), I just sampled a commercial in between.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I hope for you that the rendering exceeds the speed of 2.5 fps, otherwise you will not have the final version before Christmas.
    Or it would be a shame if Avisynth crashes before it's finished.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    Actually is a 2 hours movie not available in any other form (except in private recordings from TV), I just sampled a commercial in between.
    Rough examples, looks like ghost is gone:

Quote Quote  
  13. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    I hope for you that the rendering exceeds the speed of 2.5 fps, otherwise you will not have the final version before Christmas.
    Or it would be a shame if Avisynth crashes before it's finished.
    Can you fix this ghosting problem with your NLE? If so, please send me the details. Thanks in advance

Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post
    Rough examples, looks like ghost is gone
    Thanks. From now, you have one more InpaintDelogo fan. (And a BananaDeinterlacer fan as well )
    Quote Quote  
  14. Can you fix this ghosting problem with your NLE? If so, please send me the details. Thanks in advance
    We haven't seen anything of your work yet.
    And frankly, your videos have no interest for me, but there is something for everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    We haven't seen anything of your work yet.
    You wanted to see how I am not able to fix the ghosting issue? Ridiculous!

And frankly, your videos have no interest for me, but there is something for everyone.
    Useless statement. If yo are not able to bring any solution, then shut up!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post
    In theory they can be removed. But here the brights are blown out and the darks are crushed leading to other problems. Here's the same frame as in the first post with the nearest ghost removed with AviSynth:

[Attachment 65150 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  17. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But here the brights are blown out and the darks are crushed leading to other problems.
    Yes. The capture settings (input levels and procamp) was optimized for tapes recorded from a dvb-s set top box, and not from terrestrial antenna, having larger excursion. But for this excercise I only care about the ghosting removal
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    But here the brights are blown out and the darks are crushed leading to other problems.
    Yes. The capture settings (input levels and procamp) was optimized for tapes recorded from a dvb-s set top box, and not from terrestrial antenna, having larger excursion. But for this excercise I only care about the ghosting removal
    I meant there are additional problems with the ghost removal. When you subtract the ghost of the logo you end up having to subtract more than "normal" because those brights are artificially low (clamped at Y=255 when they should have been higher). But that means you subtract too much from other parts of the image. You can see that the ghost is removed pretty well from the logo, but there is too much reduction of the bright poles at the top of the frame -- creating dark ghosts where previously there were light ghosts.

Of course, one could special case the over-strong ghost reduction in the logo area and use a more appropriate strength for the rest of the frame. But when other parts of the picture are blown out those areas won't get full ghost reduction.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks jagabo for the explanaition.

I agree. Removing the ghost forces to damage too much the rest of the image because the starting point is bad. But "the proof of concept" was enough for me, I will work with a new appropriate capture, no need for me to ask for more help and stress you guys.

What setting did you use for the first echo removal? What about the second echo place more pixels on the right?

edit: added "because the starting point is bad"
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by lollo
    Can you fix this ghosting problem with your NLE? If so, please send me the details. Thanks in advance
    The problem you are having is easily fixed with Resolve.
    We very precisely circle the zone to be corrected and in this zone we apply all the filters we want (contrast, color, sharpness, etc.).
    This clip rendered in 3 seconds, and I don't have a fast computer.

What I didn't succeed in making Lollo understand (my English certainly has something to do with it) is that it's not a question of judging the quality of my corrections, just the possibility of very easily with another tool as Avisynth.
    Once again, everyone works with the tools they like... but it's possible otherwise!

https://vimeo.com/716474509
    Quote Quote  
  21. link doesn't work,...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    We very precisely circle the zone to be corrected
    I wanted the whole ghost to go away, the logo "zone" was only a "dirty" back-up solution.

In any case, thanks for your attempt, I really appreciated.

And I was never against your concept "there are other options". Just in the other thread I preferred mine
    Quote Quote  
  23. Looks nice, any details on what you did?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by VoodooFX View Post
    In theory they can be removed.
    In theory everything can be removed.

I was holding up my QuantumAIOfixer, but now it's time to release it:

Code:
    Spline16Resize(20,20)
    Spline16Resize(720,576)

All possible artifacts are removed.
    Quote Quote  
  25. The capture looks pretty clean to me. I'm not sure what you are trying to correct. There is a little ringing on the top and bottom of the steering wheel. There is very, very slight ghosting to the right of the vents. Other than that, everything outside on the road, where the lighting is good, looks clean. I certainly don't see anything that looks like multi-path. I am very familiar with multipath because I grew up in Chicago in the 50s and 60s, and all those tall buildings downtown created a LOT of multipath. You don't have any of that.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I was holding up my QuantumAIOfixer, but now it's time to release it
    Master VooDooFX, your latest baby is not in line with BananaDeinterlacer. I am disappointed

Quote Quote  
  27. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I certainly don't see anything that looks like multi-path.
    john, I do see a ghosting with 2 echoes, not sure my english is good enough, bit I recognize a "copy" of the frame shifted few pixels on the right (first echo) and another one shifted more pixels on the right as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Gelinox View Post
    Originally Posted by lollo
    The problem you are having is easily fixed with Resolve.
    https://vimeo.com/716474509
    But ghosts are still there...

Btw, cramming two videos into one doesn't help to do comparison.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by lollo View Post
    What setting did you use for the first echo removal? What about the second echo place more pixels on the right
    This is a toned down removal for both ghosts. I used these settings as they are fairly good for the middle tones of the video. You'll need stronger settings for the logo (increase the opacity and the ColorYUV values):

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("ghosting.avi", cache=false, prefer_hw=2) 
    ConvertToYV24() # YV24 so we have pixel accuracy
    src = last

dh = dehalo_alpha(rx=3.5, ry=1, brightstr=1.2, darkstr=1.2)
    # double the width so we have half pixel accuracy, both the original frame and the deghosting frame
    inv = dh.BilinearResize(dh.width*2, height).Invert()
    last = last.BilinearResize(width*2, height) 

Overlay(last, inv, x=17, mode="blend", opacity=0.06).ColorYUV(gain_y=34, off_y=-17) # reduce stronger near ghost
    Overlay(last, inv, x=69, mode="blend", opacity=0.02).ColorYUV(gain_y=10, off_y=-5) # reduce weaker far ghost

Spline36Resize(src.width, src.height) # back to the original size
    MergeChroma(src) # put the original chroma back
    There's also a negative ghost about about 12 pixels (at the original frame size) to the right which isn't addressed here. And you need to protect the left edge where there's no image data to unblend.
    Quote Quote