VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I do various little sketches and things for my youtube chanel. I talk but I also do sudden moves and I occasionally dance. Now, what I am dissatisfied with in my current camcorder Panasonic HC-W580 is:
    # It only performs ok under conditions when the scene is lighted by bright daylight (coming in from my rear window in my room). All other forms of lightning, natural or artificial produces murky results.
    # Another thing is that the processor in my cam is too slow to update properly when I do some rapid movement, producing vertical lines across the footage.
    (I generally do manual white balance and I shoot at 50f/ps and the cam is mounted on a tripod)
    So I’m buying a new camcorder. But how high in price do I need to go to avoid the aforementioned issues?
    Any tips?
    Quote Quote  
  2. First, disable "Auto Slow Shutter". Even better, switch to manual mode and lock shutter speed at 1/50. Also, lock iris/gain to avoid changing of brightness.

The camcorder has tiny 1/6-inch sensor, so it needs light. It might be cheaper to solve your problem by buying lights than by buying a camcorder with faster lens.

If you want to dance, you may need to set shorter shutter speed, which means you will need more light. Light should not come from the back unless you are going for silhouette.

If your background is busy, autofocus may wander, so it is best to switch it to manual.

Mind posting a link to the video, I suppose it is on YouTube?
    Quote Quote  
  3. First, disable "Auto Slow Shutter". Even better, switch to manual mode and lock shutter speed at 1/50

Ok. I have put it on 1/50 But I don’t know what you mean by locking shutter speed. There is no reference to this in the manual

Also, lock iris/gain to avoid changing of brightness.

Again, the manual doesn’t mention any “locking” of the iris as far I can see

The camcorder has tiny 1/6-inch sensor, so it needs light. It might be cheaper to solve your problem by buying lights than by buying a camcorder with faster lens.

As I said artificial lights does a poor job for this cam. Also artificial lights interferes with the image making it flicker making it look like a poor analogue television screen (It has to do with hertz wavelength here in Sweden I believe). Also, I try to stay away from cumbersome lightning equipment, I rather invest in a better camcorder

If you want to dance, you may need to set shorter shutter speed, which means you will need more light.

Do you mean “faster” or “slower” shutter speed? 1/50 is slow, right?

Light should not come from the back unless you are going for silhouette.

No, writing mistake, light comes from the side

If your background is busy, autofocus may wander, so it is best to switch it to manual.

I tend to keep the background nice and clean.

Mind posting a link to the video, I suppose it is on YouTube?

This is just test shooting so far and nothing I wanna put up on Youtube. Yet. Maybe I can somehow share a snippet with you via google drive or something
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok, "select", not "lock". When you select a specific value it is sort of "locked". On Panasonics you usually select shutter speed first, then iris. If you change shutter speed after you selected iris, then iris goes back to auto. But maybe they have changed this, I have older models.

Flicker is caused by mismatch between shutter speed and lightning frequency. Back when everyone used incandescent bulbs that would mean your shutter speed is not 1/50 (or your AC frequency is not exactly 50 Hz). Nowadays with LEDs and fluorescents it may be that these fixtures have frequency that does not match 1/50 shutter speed. Video lights use higher grade components with higher frequency. I see that you want to completely sidestep artificial lightning by using daylight.

More sensitive camcorder usually means a hybrid photo-video camera with a huge fast lens and large sensor. It will cost a lot, and your depth of field will be short, so you will be getting in and out of focus, or you will need a camera with really good auto focus tracking. I cannot recommend anything right now, I haven't followed the topic for five years or so.

If you do not want your dancing moves to turn into blur, you may want to make shutter speed shorter, like 1/100 or even 1/250, for which you will need more light. Halving shutter speed means you need to double the light. You need to experiment to see how much light you need.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Just for clarification: my dancing moves is not blurred, they are "striped" or "sandwiched" if you will. Well maybe I should try lightening equipment then after all. Thanks for enlightening me

see also attachment
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hair and feet lines.png
Views:	24
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	65040  

Quote Quote  
  6. Use 50p mode if you don't want to bother with deinterlacing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It IS recorded at 50 frames
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by TheSwant View Post
    It IS recorded at 50 frames
    No, it is not.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You're right it's not. But how could you tell from a png-file?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by TheSwant View Post
    You're right it's not. But how could you tell from a png-file?
    Combing. Maybe this short video can help. Old camcorders could shoot interlaced video only. In your case, you can switch to 50p mode, "p" meaning progressive scan or frame-based. Interlacing is old-timey tech.
    Quote Quote  
  11. That's interlacing. You can deinterlace it with handbrake, by switching to yadif, Bob and 50fps constant in the framerate settings
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by TheSwant View Post
    You're right it's not. But how could you tell from a png-file?
    Interlacing and the fact that you are using a camcorder similar to mine
    Quote Quote  
  13. So if I understand this correctly: If I shoot at 50 f/s, I don't get problems with horisontal strips?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by TheSwant View Post
    So if I understand this correctly: If I shoot at 50 f/s, I don't get problems with horisontal strips?
    Correct.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by TheSwant View Post
    So if I understand this correctly: If I shoot at 50 f/s, I don't get problems with horisontal strips?
    you might as well also deinterlace the ones youve got
    Quote Quote  
  16. Don't forget The ideal shutter speed should be twice the frame rate.
    Quote Quote