VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Over the weekend, I was helping my brother to upgrade his laptop to SSD. First, I tried to clone the hard disk to SSD and it failed. I fresh installed Windows 10 on the new SSD. Log into Microsoft account and download the Office 2019 installer. After installing the Office, and it said, this license already installed in another device. I put back the old hard disk and uninstalled Office and tried reinstalling Office on the SSD but it didn't fix the problem. I ended up have to call Microsoft tech support and they have to reset at their end in order to fix the installation problem.

I would like to know if expert here can tell me what I have done wrong causing Microsoft to think that my Office is stuck in another device. Calling Microsoft support is a pain and I would to avoid that if possible. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You should have uninstalled it from the HDD first. This would probably have freed up the licence, I think.
    But what does this have to do with video?
    Last edited by Sharc; 25th May 2022 at 02:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    You should have uninstalled it from the HDD first. This would probably have freed up the licence, I think.
    Since it's not video related, I posted this on Computer section.
    Quote Quote  
  4. In the future backup the WHOLE disk (with all partitions, the hidden too) with a reliable software like the small and portable Drive SnapShot
    http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/index.htm
    to an external usb harddisk, and then write this backup to the ssd.
    This works (have already done it several times successfully).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    You should have uninstalled it from the HDD first. This would probably have freed up the licence, I think.
    Since it's not video related, I posted this on Computer section.
    All right, never mind.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ProWo
    In the future backup the WHOLE disk (with all partitions, the hidden too) with a reliable software like the small and portable Drive SnapShot
    http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/index.htm
    Since you have experience with Drive SnapShot, ( I have Windows 7 netbook with factory backup partition), can you give me some pointers for using that software? Is it best to backup the whole harddrive to a DVD or a USB thumb drive?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    ProWo
    Since you have experience with Drive SnapShot, ( I have Windows 7 netbook with factory backup partition), can you give me some pointers for using that software? Is it best to backup the whole harddrive to a DVD or a USB thumb drive?
    Yes, the whole harddrive, so you have ALL necessary data.
    The drive snapshot backup can be mounted as normal drive, with the possibility to recover every single file.
    Use for destination a USB Drive (Sata or SSD, not a USB Pen Drive).
    Last edited by ProWo; 25th May 2022 at 09:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I did try to clone with the Crucial free Acronis since it's a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD. Estimated time was 10 hours and it failed at the 3 hours mark. I suspect that the WD hard disk dying already. I should be mindful enough to uninstall the Office from the hard disk but didn't. First call to MS support responded with a sawadee krup greeting .. ah .. Thailand. No no... we only do Home and Student, as yours is business. Another call ended with Ausie accent and bounced to Philippine. After many minutes of confirm the details(believe you me, MS knows all our details), we are happy to inform you that the reset is successful and it's free of charge.
    Quote Quote