VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a .srt file. The italic lines are tagged with <i>xxxx</i>.
    But the software I use to create a DVD (TMPGEncAuthoringWorks4) doesn't recognize the tags and shows the lines with the tags, without doing the text italic.
    And the subtitle software I use (Subtitle Edit) doesn't have a function were I can remove the tags and convert the lines into italic.
    I can find and delete all tags but not convert the lines into plain italic without the tags.
    So is there a way to:
    1. Remove all the italic tags from all lines that are affected.
    2. Convert the text in those lines to italic directly without any tags.

There are many lines that are affected so doing it line by line is not practically possible.
    I want some batch function that can do it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. have a look here

You have to replace <i>xxxx</i> with it's equivalent for TMPGEncAuthoringWorks4
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use this to create a subtitle with italics.

Upon completion, open the newly created subtitle and look at how italics are handled. Change your file likewise.
    Quote Quote  
  4. SRT subtitles are plain ASCII text. There are no italics.

https://computersciencewiki.org/index.php/ASCII

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ascii_table.png
Views:	75
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	64981

Don't even expect the extended characters to render properly as subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    SRT subtitles are plain ASCII text. There are no italics.
    My thoughts too. I've always understood that these tags are just a trigger for a player or text-to-image-handler to create italic text in the image.

TBH it's been ages since I worked with video-dvd subtitles, but isn't the format VobSub (sub/idx)? Unless I'm missing something here, SE can export srt to VobSub while honouring italic tags.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The thing is, the use of HTML tags in SRT subtitles are not part of the official SRT format/specs, so support in any program for editing and converting them may be minimal (if any) and with no standard for interpreting them, programs may well interpret them in different and unexpected ways.

I'd wonder if it would be a better idea to convert the SRT-with-HTML to a format that actually does properly support styles and formatting without kludges, like, say, SSA/ASS, but I don't know how easy it would be to convert from those formats to vobsub.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by steam View Post
    But the software I use to create a DVD (TMPGEncAuthoringWorks4) doesn't recognize the tags and shows the lines with the tags, without doing the text italic.
    And the subtitle software I use (Subtitle Edit) doesn't have a function were I can remove the tags and convert the lines into italic.
    There is an option in Subtitle Edit to save the srt as an TMPGEnc AW5 (xsubtitle) file.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm still trying to understand how do those people manage to mess subtitles like that
    Quote Quote