VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hey fam,

prolly super noob question here but I'm trying to convert video files from a security camera to a file format readable by the insurance companies and the courts. No matter what type of file type I try to convert the original to, I get an automatic fail and VLC or any other media player I posses besides AVC wont play the video. The video works fine on AVC in its original format but I cant convince the judge or insurance company to download this program so my only option is to convert the file somehow. I've had some luck with free browser based converters but I'm losing a ton of quality, which I desperately need. Any suggestions? Thanks a ton everyone!!
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	converterFail.png
Views:	18
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	64955  

Click image for larger version

Name:	converterFail2.png
Views:	20
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	64956  

Quote Quote  
  2. Here's a pic of the format VLC is claiming the original files are in... although they appear as AVI files when viewing them in a folder. Again, any tips would be huge. I need to get this video converted and edited for court and insurance claims asap
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	converterFail3.png
Views:	18
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	64959  

Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Are you able to play the files on your computer before encoding?
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. No. The company with the security cameras included a video player on the flash drive they gave me. You can see it in the first pic. Besides that temp player they included on the usb drive and AVC after I downloaded it, no other video players were able to read the file format. AVC WILL however read the files in their original format.. with better framerates and higher quality than the player they included on the usb drive so I know its not an issue with AVC reading the original format. Its something in the conversion.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most likely the files are encrypted and wont give you the codecs to play them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I can play them from AVC video player tho.. if they were encrypted wouldn't they only be able to play from the included video player?
    Quote Quote  
  7. And I was able to convert them using a free browser based converter but it had shit quality.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the files aren't encrypted then the reason vlc can't open them is because you need to have the codecs of that file installed on your computer,the browser based encoder was probably just using the closest codec match.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If AVC can play the files without the codec installed, why cant it convert the files to a more common video format?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try a different encoder such as vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
  11. prolly coming across as a total n00b but I tried installing the codecs included on the flash drive they gave me but it still dosnt seem to be working on VLC. Still dosnt make sense why AVC can play the video but not convert it to another file type. Clearly AVC has the proper codec to read the file if it can play it, no?
    Quote Quote  
  12. vidcoder worked perfectly. thanks for the recommendation.
    Quote Quote