VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Most modern ATSC digital TVs can ONLY tune to channels that have been detected in a scan. The scan checks every RF channel to see if an ATSC signal is present. Then it attempts to decode the data to see if it's valid. If a valid digital data stream is present, then it adds it to the channel list. Then when you select a channel by its digital channel number it looks at the list of stored channels to find the channel with that digital channel number, and if there is a channel stored with that digital channel number it looks up info on that channel, including it its physical channel (actual RF frequency). Then it tunes to that physical channel.

However, what I would like, for the sake of experimenting, would be to directly tune to a specific physical channel, by typing in its physical channel number. If I already know the frequency / physical channel number that has a valid ATSC transmission on it, then all I should need to do is type in that physical channel number and I should be able to receive the channel, but most ATSC TVs don't support this method of operation. Are there any that do?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Videogamer555 View Post
    Most modern ATSC digital TVs can ONLY tune to channels that have been detected in a scan. The scan checks every RF channel to see if an ATSC signal is present. Then it attempts to decode the data to see if it's valid. If a valid digital data stream is present, then it adds it to the channel list. Then when you select a channel by its digital channel number it looks at the list of stored channels to find the channel with that digital channel number, and if there is a channel stored with that digital channel number it looks up info on that channel, including it its physical channel (actual RF frequency). Then it tunes to that physical channel.

However, what I would like, for the sake of experimenting, would be to directly tune to a specific physical channel, by typing in its physical channel number. If I already know the frequency / physical channel number that has a valid ATSC transmission on it, then all I should need to do is type in that physical channel number and I should be able to receive the channel, but most ATSC TVs don't support this method of operation. Are there any that do?
    Look at LG.

I have an LG 32LK330, released in 2011, that I still use, which has a "Manual Tuning" feature. The TV's manual doesn't describe how this feature works, so I tried the feature to refresh my memory. After accessing Manual Tuning through the TV menu, I can input a physical channel number using the numeric buttons on the remote and the virtual channel number for the primary plus the station's call letters/network will be displayed if something is there. The Manual Tuning controls also include a signal strength meter.

I looked at the manual for a current LG NanoCell UHD TV (LG 50NANO80) and it mentions "Manual Tuning" but does not describe exactly how the feature works. However, it says there is a signal strength meter.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th May 2022 at 18:14.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you can't find a TV model that does this, perhaps research those tuner/converter boxes.
    Quote Quote