VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i am getting .mp4 movies which are originally 1150 kbps and the file sizes are 1gb+. i want to reduce the file size and keep the same quality

i am reencoding the movies in handbrake by selecting 2-pass encoding and turbo first pass. i need to pick an avg bitrate. what is a good bitrate to pick? are 800 kbps or 850 kbps or 900 kbps ok?

i am comparing the original movie to the encoded movie. they look the same. however, if there is something faint like a small cloud in the upper right corner in the original movie then that cloud becomes a bit blurry in the encoded movie. why is handbrake making faint things blurry?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cns00 View Post
    i want to reduce the file size and keep the same quality
    NOT gonna happen.
    Quote Quote  
  3. it can happen. i want to the encoded file to have good quality and smaller size. i just want to know if the bitrates that i am using are ok
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not gonna happen,just be happy with the tiny size of the movie,any smaller and it will get worse quality.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by cns00 View Post
    i am getting .mp4 movies which are originally 1150 kbps and the file sizes are 1gb+. i want to reduce the file size and keep the same quality
    Every time you re-encode with a lossy codec, even if you use more bitrate, you will get a loss of quality.

i am reencoding the movies in handbrake by selecting 2-pass encoding and turbo first pass. i need to pick an avg bitrate. what is a good bitrate to pick? are 800 kbps or 850 kbps or 900 kbps ok?
    Every video is different. Different codecs have different abilities (you haven't indicated what codec your source is and what codec you are re-compressing with). And everybody's opinion on quality differs. It's up to you whether the quality you're getting is acceptable. There's no right answer to those questions. But to me, re-encoding just to save 20 or 30 percent in file size doesn't sound like it's worth the time and loss of quality.

i am comparing the original movie to the encoded movie. they look the same. however, if there is something faint like a small cloud in the upper right corner in the original movie then that cloud becomes a bit blurry in the encoded movie. why is handbrake making faint things blurry?
    That's exactly the type of artifact one expects when re-encoding with a lossy codec.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it can happen....
    You're arguing with some people who have forgotten more about this subject than you know.

'mp4' is just a container and you don't say what codec/format you're encoding to. If you're encoding an x264 source then x265 would be better.

Most of those videos you're talkling about may say they're from the bluray but they aren't. They're 2 generations from the bluray and you want to re encode it again. You're always going to lose quality when re encoding but what you\'re talking about will really lose it.

There's a lot more involved than just bit rate and, as mentioned, there are no "one size fits all" encoder settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Waiting for the "I did it, it's smaller with better quality - bye." post.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by cns00 View Post
    i am getting .mp4 movies which are originally 1150 kbps and the file sizes are 1gb+. i want to reduce the file size and keep the same quality

The odds are good that you don't want to go below average 1150 kbps, if the person that transcoded those files could have gone lower they would have. What you need is some high-quality files to start out with. If you have the right DVD/Bluray reader/burner in your computer you could use http://www.makemkv.com/ to rip some movies. But that could take a while, you can get perfectly legal Demo files from https://4kmedia.org/ to play around with. About settings in handbrake, lighterra.com, has some settings in a zip file you can use, you will find it in their article Video Encoding Settings
    for H.264 Excellence
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Seems to me your issue has more to do with filesize than with that bitrate.

So, with knowledge of the universal bitrate formula (Filesize = Bitrate * Running time), the answer is simple: cut your clip in 1/2 and just keep the 1st half!
    No need to ever have a file go over 1 GB agai...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    it can happen. i want to the encoded file to have good quality and smaller size. i just want to know if the bitrates that i am using are ok
    Bitrate doesn't describe quality.
    Quote Quote  
  11. @cns00, you may want to learn how to use compression quality metrics like PSNR. I don't think that reducing bitrate from 1150 kbit/s to 900 kbit/s is worthwhile unless you need to squeeze a video onto a particular media, in which case the output bitrate is a given, and you need to find a combination of encoder type and encoder parameters to incur the least damage to the video.
    Quote Quote