VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a old one and can't use the HDMI port for TV channels or blu-ray. I can use Google Chromecast ultra for pictures. I have not try to stream any. but it only gives a black screen when trying TV or bluray. I have checked the HDMI cable and it works on another tv
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depending on the vintage of the tv it may not have HDCP. If it's not there modern devices
    may not stream to it
    Quote Quote  
  3. I tried to stream from my Chromebook and it worked but it lagged from the usual cast menu on the Chromebook. So ii guess the TV can show video trough HDMI. Is there any way to stream trough Chromebook without using internet or wifi? I want to use the Chromecast ultra.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I can't understand why the screen only went black when using HDMI for bluray or TV box. I have tried both HDMI options on the TV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OldSchool297 View Post
    I can't understand why the screen only went black when using HDMI for bluray or TV box. I have tried both HDMI options on the TV.
    Someone already mentioned HDCP as a possible cause of this problem. Blu-ray players and many TV boxes apply HDCP to their video output for copy-protected content delivered using HDMI. Your TV dates from 2005 and might be so old that HDCP handshaking doesn't work as it should when it is connected to newer devices that use recent versions of HDMI and HDCP.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by OldSchool297 View Post
    I can't understand why the screen only went black when using HDMI for bluray or TV box.
    Devices that require HDCP encryption will not send a picture to an HDMI display that doesn't support it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

Look for an HDMI splitter that strips HDCP. You should be able to find one for about US$20.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th May 2022 at 18:59.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by OldSchool297 View Post
    I tried to stream from my Chromebook and it worked but it lagged from the usual cast menu on the Chromebook. So ii guess the TV can show video trough HDMI. Is there any way to stream trough Chromebook without using internet or wifi? I want to use the Chromecast ultra.
    An Internet connection is necessary to access streaming services. I think it is possible to cast video from another device to a Chromecast Ultra without using Wi-Fi. See https://www.the-tech-addict.com/how-to-use-chromecast-without-wifi-and-internet/
    Quote Quote  
  8. I wanted to stream from my Chromebook downloads to my Chromecast ultra. But i don't find the cast button without wifi. There is also a PC card slot on this retro TV. I saw it could record live TV. How big can the cards be for this? I only have a Canon multimedia card MMC-16M 16mb.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by OldSchool297 View Post
    Thanks for the help. I didn't found info in the manual by a quick look https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.manualslib.com/manual...dCZ9SiQ6G5uUCG
    The manual shows an HDCP decrypter module on page 133.

Make sure your devices are set to output a format the TV supports. For example, 1080i, not 1080p. Many early HDTVs did not support 1080p input.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks i will try. So i guess this vintage TV can handle hdcp after all? I seen MMC cards can be found in 512gb max. How much can this TV handle?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The manual shows an HDCP decrypter module on page 133.
    Unfortunately, even if the TV supports HDCP that doesn't guarantee success. Until recently I had a 2015 HDTV hooked up to a 2009 cable box via HDMI. The TV wouldn't display a picture even though the same cable box and HDMI cable worked perfectly in the past with a 2008 HDTV connected via HDMI. Installing a splitter that stripped HDCP fixed the problem. I didn't need the splitter anymore after I replaced the old cable box with the current model from my service provider last month

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Make sure your devices are set to output a format the TV supports. For example, 1080i, not 1080p. Many early HDTVs did not support 1080p input.
    Good idea. The TV's manual says that the TV supports 720p and 1080i but doesn't mention 1080p.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th May 2022 at 10:04. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  12. I tried a Motorola VIP 1910-9 and it showed the start picture and meny. I don't have a TV card for it so i could not try. I guess i need a adapter to get my other things work in HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by OldSchool297 View Post
    Yes. But beware that not all splitters can strip HDCP. By the HDMI license agreement they aren't supposed to. So you have to find one from a shady manufacturer.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks. Any examples?
    Quote Quote  
  15. I don't know what's available now.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I solved the problem with a new hdmi cable. The pictures went perfect on this old TV. I even got a old blu-ray player Samsung BD E5300 to work. I got the HDMI concact lost when i should remove it from the other TV. So i figured out it could have been broken before.
    Quote Quote