VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's the problem. I own all 5 seasons of Las Vegas on DVD. It looks like shit now, but the audio is 5.1. Whereas, the streaming version was 1080P but garbage stereo sound. So I'm trying to put the audio from the DVDs with the video from the digital release, because piss on watching the show again any other way. Problem is the DVD audio includes the bullshit Universal studios intro on every episode and the streaming copy doesn't, so I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to sync this for the 100 something episodes I need to remux. I'm on linux and normally use MKVToolNix. I don't know how to make it skip X seconds of the audio though. There's just a "delay" option that I see. Do I seriously have to try to edit the AC3 files to cut the damn Universal intro? Maybe I could get it done with Handbrake?

edit: apparently, I don't just need a delay. I need a way to make them match up on framerates too. the 1080P video is 23.9fps, but the DVDs I'm getting audio from are 29.
    Last edited by Sephiroth666; 13th May 2022 at 18:24.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use a positive delay to make the audio later and negative delay to make it sooner
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Use a positive delay to make the audio later and negative delay to make it sooner
    Yeah, that doesn't seem to be enough. Like, I'd swear the first scene is synced perfectly then it immediately appears out of sync again after that. This is annoying as all hell.

edit: Son of a bitch. I see the problem. DVDs I ripped for audio are 29fps. The 1080P is 23.9.
    Last edited by Sephiroth666; 13th May 2022 at 18:23.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look at the total runtime and account for added scenes at the start or end to get a true understanding.
    The 29.97 is created by repeating frames so that's most likely red herring
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can use clever Ffmpeg-GUI, Audio concersion to change lenght and pitch from 29 fps to 23.976 fps
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You can use clever Ffmpeg-GUI, Audio concersion to change lenght and pitch from 29 fps to 23.976 fps
    Doesn't appear to be a linux version of that.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Sephiroth666 View Post
    edit: apparently, I don't just need a delay. I need a way to make them match up on framerates too. the 1080P video is 23.9fps, but the DVDs I'm getting audio from are 29.
    That isn't a problem in itself. Just guessing, but maybe they are going out of sync due to commercial fade-outs/fade-ins being different lengths.
    Quote Quote