VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. By some small miracle I've managed to finally get my Samsung VP-L700U to output both an image and audio to VLC. I managed to capture about 5 minutes of footage and reviewed it, looked great, one win for team 'do a favour for your extended family'.

So I setup VLC to capture the lot (about 40/50 mins of footage), to my horror when I returned to review the footage:
    [Attachment 64746 - Click to enlarge]

I'm capturing with the following settings, I imagine they are all massively incorrect but I've given it a go:
    Code:
     :dshow-vdev=OEM Device :dshow-adev=OEM Device  :dshow-aspect-ratio=14\:9 :dshow-chroma= :dshow-fps=25 :no-dshow-config :no-dshow-tuner :dshow-tuner-channel=0 :dshow-tuner-frequency=0 :dshow-tuner-country=0 :dshow-tuner-standard=32 :dshow-tuner-input=0 :dshow-video-input=-1 :dshow-video-output=-1 :dshow-audio-input=-1 :dshow-audio-output=-1 :dshow-amtuner-mode=1 :dshow-audio-channels=0 :dshow-audio-samplerate=0 :dshow-audio-bitspersample=0 :live-caching=300
    I've tried:
    • The 'Build index then play' option - Plays a minute of footage and then you can no longer scrub forward in the timeline
    • The 'Play as is' option - Plays the footage but you can't click about the timeline otherwise the image gets lost, also gets 'jittery' the longer it plays

If theres anyone that can help provide a bit of a steer on this I'd be massively grateful, trying to do a favour and really struggling to find any resources for this issue

Thanks,
    Oldskaterdude
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Those settings do not mean much to me and I would NEVER use VLC to capture - even tho it could.

So, let's start with what you have.

1. Post a mediainfo text-mode report of the capture
    2. Load your capture in to avidemux and use A/B markers for 20-30 secs plus copy video and audio save as the same format that you already have beit avi, mpg etc. Upload that saved file as an attachment as a reply in this topic. It maybe be recoverable but.....
    3. Save yourself the pain and use a proper capture program such as vdub - do not be tempted to use OBS - and start again. There are, literally, 00's of topics of how to go about this.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What an incredibly fast response!

hmmm based on your recommendation and a fair few others I've seen around here I think I should probably use vdub right?

From the page you linked to is there any of those which I should check out first? I did have a go at vdub a while back and found the amount of options fairly intimidating, I lost the capture screen at one point and couldn't find ever again. I also understand vdub is no longer in development, is the last version the best one or that newer (and maintained) version?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just because a prog is no longer in development does not mean it is up to the task.

It has been continued as vdub2 but the original plus a lossless codec such as huffyuv or lagarith (there are others as well) is the way to go.

Yes. Setting it up can be intimidating. Some time back there was a link to doing just that which went in to much detail. The basics can still be covered here although they are well covered in many replies.

Of course as with any capture you are only as good as your capture device. Which is why the request was for a sample of what you got (discounting the issues you have obtained)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some time back there was a link to doing just that which went in to much detail. The basics can still be covered here although they are well covered in many replies.
    Use Virtual Dub 1.9.11 from DigitalFAQ for capturing:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-conversion/1727-virtualdub-filters-pre.html

Virtual Dub Setup Guide from DigitalFAQ:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/video-capture/7427-capturing-virtualdub-settings.html

Install Lagarith as your lossless capture codec:
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/Lagarith-Lossless-Video-Codec

Have fun!

Of course as with any capture you are only as good as your capture device. Which is why the request was for a sample of what you got
    You could just tell us what it is, to start with. Then the assembled masses can rip into you for using a $%^&&* capture thingee or congratulate you on your excellent choice of stick.
    Last edited by Alwyn; 11th May 2022 at 01:10.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by oldskaterdude View Post
    I did have a go at vdub a while back and found the amount of options fairly intimidating, I lost the capture screen at one point and couldn't find ever again. I also understand vdub is no longer in development, is the last version the best one or that newer (and maintained) version?
    I wonder how you could lose the capture screen considering that when running in capture mode VDub has just a single window. Regarding versions, I prefer VirtualDub2 because it has more features, in particular it has native implementation of Cineform and can save in containers other than AVI. The major difference in the UI is that VDub2 has a separate Capture menu item in main menu, while older versions have it in File menu. Dare I suggest my video regarding capturing with VDub2? For PAL, choose 25 fps and 720x576 frame size. The 704x576 area has 4:3 proportions.

If you are capturing for someone else, you should have it in format that they can easily play. I would think it should be either MPEG-4/AVC or MPEG-2 or DV. VirtualDub cannot capture into MPEG-2 (I guess because of long-standing licensing issues), it can capture directly into MPEG-4, but depending on your computer this may cause interruptions. You can capture into DV, but DV should be bottom field first, while your captured video will likely be top field first, so your family member would be in for a surprise. Probably the best solution would be to capture into something like Lagarith, Huffyuv or Cineform, then deinterlace and convert into MPEG-4, and give them both copies: one for tinkering, another for viewing. If they are old school and want a DVD, then you may need to convert to MPEG-2 as well using something like HandBrake (no need to deinterlace in this case).

I wonder why your dshow aspect ratio is set to 14:9? AFAIK, in late 1990s some European broadcasters would shoot in 14:9 as a middle ground between 4:3 and 16:9, but I did not know that consumer camcorders used this aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Dare I suggest you do not confuse the issue with such comments "The 704*576 area has 4:3 proportions". That is only relevant for a DV capture and the OP, as far as we know at present, is doing a pure analog capture

I am not going to argue with you here to foul up this topic. The OP needs to respond in due course. Or follow the links supplied by Alwyn.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi all,

I've gone installed VDub from Alywn's links.

Initially after unzipping and then opening for the first time it looked like it was semi there regarding capturing (Obviously choppy video needs fixing):

[Attachment 64942 - Click to enlarge]

At somepoint though, when playing with the settings my PC crashed caused my Win10 to Blue screen of death, I restarted my PC and now I can't see the capture preview window anymore

[Attachment 64943 - Click to enlarge]

I also installed Lagarith which I thought might have caused the above issue around crashing, but yeah really not sure what to check. This is where I bailed last time and went back to VLC

Also RE my capture card, this mighty beast is what I'm using:
    [Attachment 64944 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by oldskaterdude; 23rd May 2022 at 11:40.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry just to add to this, I've noticed I can actually see the video when I go to Video> Cropping:
    [Attachment 64945 - Click to enlarge]

Stumped
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is similar to an issue seen in the past with mod2 sizes in certain codecs.
    Perhaps the OP should post a sample video for inspection or a least a mediainfo report of the file
    Quote Quote  
  11. So I can't get a clip in VDub cause the capture window doesn't output properly like I've mentioned, i've tried doing it 'blind' without seeing the capture window and its just a black screen.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by oldskaterdude View Post
    Sorry just to add to this, I've noticed I can actually see the video when I go to Video> Cropping:
    Stumped
    Switch between "Preview" and "Overlay" and see if that fixes the preview.
    Quote Quote