VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using yt-dlp in order to download some videos, for example from the nbcnews.com site.
    This is done on an Ubuntu 20.04 server and I have just noted a big difference from my downloads using ffmpeg on streaming videos:
    With yt-dlp the resulting mp4 file gets its exec flag set whereas ffmpeg never does that.

Is there some hidden argument one can use with yt-dlp in order to NOT set the x flag?

My command in the script I use looks like this:
    Code:
    COMMAND="yt-dlp -f $QUALITY -o $TARGETFILE $VIDEOURL"
    where QUALITY is the quality ID of the stream I want, normally 960x540 (MPEG4-1542)

I do not want to manually hunt for the files getting this flag set in order to unset it, but if worst comes to worst I could add the following to the end of the script, I guess:

Code:
    if [ -e "$TARGETFILE" ]; then
      eval "chmod -x $TARGETFILE"
    fi
    But I'd rather use a way that stops yt-dlp from doing this in the first place....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Code:
    yt-dlp --downloader ffmpeg  etc
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    Code:
    yt-dlp --downloader ffmpeg  etc
    Then it is much simpler to add the chmod command to the script....
    Quote Quote  
  4. already reported as a bug and fixed
    https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/issues/3371
    that probably should have been the first place to look....

get the latest zip from github or use an older version
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ElCap View Post
    already reported as a bug and fixed
    https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp/issues/3371
    that probably should have been the first place to look....
    I have googled this but found no hits. Why I should go to the github place is not obvious to me, I never use github myself.
    get the latest zip from github or use an older version
    I have this:
    Code:
    $ yt-dlp --version
    And it still sets the x flag on the downloaded mp4

Then:
    Code:
    $ yt-dlp -U
    Latest version: 2022.03.08.1, Current version: 2022.04.08
    yt-dlp is up to date (2022.04.08)
    Obviously there is no more recent version available as seen above, my version is higher than the released version...

I have done this too as described when one needs a newer version:
    Code:
    $ python3 -m pip install -U yt-dlp
    Requirement already up-to-date: yt-dlp in /home/bosse/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages (2022.4.8)
    Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: pycryptodomex in /home/bosse/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages (from yt-dlp) (3.11.0)
    Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: brotli; platform_python_implementation == "CPython" in /home/bosse/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages (from yt-dlp) (1.0.9)
    Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: websockets in /home/bosse/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages (from yt-dlp) (10.0)
    Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: mutagen in /home/bosse/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages (from yt-dlp) (1.45.1)
    Requirement already satisfied, skipping upgrade: certifi in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (from yt-dlp) (2019.11.28)

$ yt-dlp --version
    How do I "get the latest zip from github" and how can a zip help?
    Last edited by BosseB; 9th May 2022 at 07:57.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you google yt-dlp, the github link should be one of the top links for this software. This is where all the development happens, issues raised etc and this is the official front for the yt-dlp software. So it would make sense that if you are trying to find a fix for an issue with some software that you would go to the developers page.

Did you read the link? The bug report is from the 2022.04.08 version so until they have released another major version you won't get the fix by trying to update by the methods you have tried.

On the github page you can download all the yt-dlp files in a zip (as opposed to a single exe), which will have all the latest changes. Think of this like a minor build. In the future they will release another major build version which will have all the minor builds/fixes up until this point and you will be able to upgrade with the normal methods.

So you can either:
    - try the zip file with the fix for your issue
    - or downgrade to an older version
    - or setup that manual workaround and wait for the next major version release

It sounds like trying the zip file is not a good option for you and you should either use the manual workaround or downgrade your version.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, I put the chmod back into my script now.
    Quote Quote