VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. it's just for educational purpose. lets say if a 1080p Bluray bitrate is 10mb/sec what should be a 2160p bluray bitrate.

1. consider both are using x264.
    2. 1080p x264 and 2160p x265. i don't know if we can compare x264 and x265 but just an estimate idea if you have experience about compare the video quality.
    Quote Quote  
  2. my 2cents of thoughts,...

Assuming you have questions, phrase them as such.

regarding 1.: I considered it and don't get it. UHD Blu-ray can't use H.264.
    1080p Blu-ray usually uses 8bit calculation precision and AVC.
    2160p UHD Blu-ray usually uses 10bit calculation precision and HEVC
    If you want to produce a (UHD) Blu-ray you are restricted by the (UHD) Blu-ray standard and can't use some advanced encoding options.
    So encoding to UHD Blu-ray with x264 isn't really an option.

regarding 2.: We compare what we want, whether it makes sense depends on the goal we have.

General speaking, just about resolution and using the same encoder:
    Roughly speaking if you double the resolution you usually require ~75% more bitrate when using the same encoding method.
    Since you quatruple the bit rate increasing the bit rate by 150% to get the same detail preservance level is what I would expect.
    So if you used 10 000 kBit/s for 1080p, I would expect 25 000 kBit/s for 2160p.

You are not asking about detail preservance, but about video quality and give no hint to what that means for you.

Cu Selur
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Why don't you just use CRF encoding? Then you'll always get the right bitrate for the quality you want.
    Quote Quote