VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    [Attachment 64699 - Click to enlarge]

I have this card, I'm having problems capturing mini DV tapes straight to the DVD recorder.

For those who already understand my problems with the d-vhs and this same card, you must already be familiar with my drama.

I'm afraid of damaging the DV output of this camcorder too, because I don't know if this card is generating some kind of short circuit in these firewire inputs.

So what you guys advise me to do? Should i plug it in? Do I take the risk? Who should I turn on first the computer or the camcorder?
    Last edited by Caius; 7th May 2022 at 02:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    First, you should do what many have already told you: READ THE MANUAL(S).

Next, does this card/device have visible flaws? (May want a magnifying glass, and should check capacitor integrity and solder points). Without visible flaws or a HISTORY OF IT RUINING DEVICES*, why would you think there would be something wrong with it if you use it properly for its stated purpose?

*Note: using it improperly would not be its fault, it would be your fault.
    Very often, manuals recommend to only plug in when both devices are turned off, then turning on the source, then the sink (destination).
    Am betting the manual for that device only mentions usage with analog or DV footage, NOT with mpeg2 footage, but protocol mismatching would not influence short-circuiting.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Your drama with D-VHS is created by you, If you just followed the immense advice given it shouldn't have to be drama. I told you numerous times that the above card is only limited to DV by driver, You cannot use it to ingest from D-VHS or from a firewire hard drive or optical drive, You need a firewire card with a universal driver for data not just DV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    First, you should do what many have already told you: READ THE MANUAL(S).

Next, does this card/device have visible flaws? (May want a magnifying glass, and should check capacitor integrity and solder points). Without visible flaws or a HISTORY OF IT RUINING DEVICES*, why would you think there would be something wrong with it if you use it properly for its stated purpose?

*Note: using it improperly would not be its fault, it would be your fault.
    Very often, manuals recommend to only plug in when both devices are turned off, then turning on the source, then the sink (destination).
    Am betting the manual for that device only mentions usage with analog or DV footage, NOT with mpeg2 footage, but protocol mismatching would not influence short-circuiting.

Scott

There was no visible flaws at this PCI board.
    I found this on the manual of my camcorder Panasonic PV-GS69 Image
    [Attachment 64702 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Your drama with D-VHS is created by you, If you just followed the immense advice given it shouldn't have to be drama. I told you numerous times that the above card is only limited to DV by driver, You cannot use it to ingest from D-VHS or from a firewire hard drive or optical drive, You need a firewire card with a universal driver for data not just DV.

Tell me that card, I'll try to buy it
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Any firewire card in your country that is not made by Pinnacle.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    But my question persists. Do I take any risk of damaging the camcorder's DV output of connecting the DV to firewire cable on this card?

I left an example of capture in VOB made by the Philips DVD recorder DVDR 3355.
    Used: DV cable out from the camcorder Panasonic PV-GS69 to DV cable Input to Philips DVDR 3355.

Why don't I want to use the Philips DVD recorder? Because it gives DVDs error sometimes. And when it does I have to rewind the tape and record it all over again.
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: vob 03.VOB (116.88 MB, 51 views)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Cornucopia already answered that question for you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I don't know much about firewire cards but have you tried to change of pci port on the motherboard (assuming you have 2 or more). I messed a lot with dvb pci cards in the past this trick could make a difference at times (drivers install). Of course disabling non essential things on your pc can help aswell. Worth a try in any case. Oh and i forgot, sometimes my drivers were disabled for no apparent reason, turned out to be an impedance problem with the cable....
    Last edited by themaster1; 9th May 2022 at 18:24.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    I don't know much about firewire cards but have you tried to change of pci port on the motherboard (assuming you have 2 or more). I messed a lot with dvb pci cards in the past this trick could make a difference at times (drivers install). Of course disabling non essential things on your pc can help aswell. Worth a try in any case. Oh and i forgot, sometimes my drivers were disabled for no apparent reason, turned out to be an impedance problem with the cable....

Yes i did unplug all but the card, unfortelly i don't have two pci slots on the computer
    Quote Quote