VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

I was trying to get my very old BT878 capture to work on Windows 10 but no luck. Then I have a "bright" idea to boot an old Windows 7 drive in the hope of getting the card to work. No luck again. It might have corrupted my Windows 10 and it was unbootable. I tried booting from Windows usb installer and tried to restore backup. It said something like the image is BIOS and not compatible with UEFI. This image was created within Windows.

Is it possible to install Windows and restore it with the image backup ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Which program did you use to make the Windows 10 backup?
    Is it a complete image of the whole hard disk or only of the Windows 10 partition (C:\)?
    How many partitions do you have on your hard drive?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ProWo, Thanks.

I backup using Create System Image in Windows' Backup and Restore(Windows 7).

I select these for backup:
    1. System Reserved(System)
    2. (C:\) (System)
    3. Windows Recovery Environment(System)

The hard disk is SSD and has only 1 partition.

Here I need to know before creating another image of my system.
    If I break my system and it becomes unbootable, can I reinstall Windows 10 and restore all my settings and software using the backup image ?
    In this way, I can save about 5 hours going through the software installation and all the customizations.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You have done the Windows 10 Backup with a Windows 7 Utility?
    Anyway, if the Backup is from your Windows 10, you have to boot your computer with the Windows 10 Install CD, select the repair option prior the install start and restore all 3 backups.
    Last edited by ProWo; 6th May 2022 at 01:15.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You have done the Windows 10 Backup with a Windows 7 Utility?
    Anyway, if the Backup is from your Windows 10, you have to boot your computer with the Windows 10 Install CD, select the repair option prior the install start and restore all 3 backups.
    This is in Windows 10.
    [Attachment 64690 - Click to enlarge]

I tried that route and it said something ISO image is not compatible with UEFI.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Have you tried the other boot repair options from the Windows 10 Install disc?
    Read this
    https://www.howtogeek.com/239312/how-to-restore-system-image-backups-on-windows-7-8-and-10/

In the future, use a decent backup program.
    https://www.lifewire.com/free-backup-software-tools-2617964
    Last edited by ProWo; 6th May 2022 at 02:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    There are so many things wrong with the methods that you've tried (boot management, partitions, bios compatibility, scope of data...) that your best bet now is likely to be a complete wipe & reimage of the OS from scratch, with subsequent reinstallation of apps, from scratch. Hope you have installers for all that!

BTW, something you should have known prior to messing with boot options: It is quite possible for a later version of Windows to add an alternate boot option to an existing earlier OS (so, for example, one can start with an existing Win7 machine and add a secondary boot option for Win10). I have done this a number of times with no issues. However, what is a major issue is installing an EARLIER OS as an option onto a later machine. The older OS does not understand the boot info of something that didn't exist when it was issued, so it WIPES out that later info. So, adding Win7 onto an existing Win10 will ruin being able to boot into the Win10 partition/section. As in GONE/CORRUPTED. The user data is still there, but may not be accessible without specialty methods, and then only as raw data, not as a bootable OS. Repairing via those previously mentioned options at that point are hit-or-miss.

If you want to backup your existing partition, the best method is to image the partition/drive, using partition/drive imaging software.

BTW, whether it is HDD or SSD, it very likely does NOT have only one partition. Rather, it has only one VISIBLE partition. Most Windows installations will create between 2 and 4 partitions, including sometimes hidden "System/EFI boot", "Emergency Recovery", "Microsoft Reserved", and other possibilities, not just a visible "C:" drive. This varies depending on whether Legacy BIOS vs. UEFI, MBR vs GPT, and OS version.

Good luck,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!