VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With my laptop out of commission due to a motherboard and power failure, I want to be able to at least backup or clone my data. How can I do this with my 2.5 SATA hard drive?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
    With my laptop out of commission due to a motherboard and power failure, I want to be able to at least backup or clone my data. How can I do this with my 2.5 SATA hard drive?
    Is the 2.5" SATA drive (HDD or SSD) the laptop's drive (already removed from the laptop) or is the 2.5" SATA drive the drive that you are going to use to store the backup?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Pull the drive out of the laptop and put it in another computer or an USB adapter. Hope it's not encrypted.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Pull the drive out of the laptop and put it in another computer or an USB adapter. Hope it's not encrypted.
    That will work if the drives use SATA connections assuming the OP has a spare laptop desktop PC with an empty drive bay and ensures that the host computer won't see the salvaged laptop drive as a boot drive. Two USB to SATA adapters or a 2-bay drive dock that supports cloning the drive in one bay to the drive in the other bay will be needed if the OP must use a laptop to back up the salvaged drive.

I bought this adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJZJI84/ to back up a computer's 2.5" HDD boot drive to a 2.5" SSD. Some newer laptops use an M.2 drive as their boot drive. M.2 drives require a different kind of USB adapter with the correct specs for that M.2 drive.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th May 2022 at 07:45. Reason: typed laptop instead of desktop.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote