VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, it's me again with another 29.97fps sample.
    I've tried the command TFM().TDecimate(), it removes duplicate frames but not the correct ones,
    some interlace artifacts are visible, like in this ss (the guy's arm on the left):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7ktf8343bvc3dj/tr%20sample%20ss1.png?dl=0

sample: https://www.dropbox.com/s/a473wgffl02d1tc/tr%20sample.mkv?dl=0

can I please have some help?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Those artifacts are in the source fields, probably from the encoder inaccuracy. It's not a field matching or decimation issue. (If it's just a few frames, it's pretty easy to fix by masking it out in a compositing program; because those frames have a static camera and you have clean areas on adjacent frames to provide coverage)

Decimation works ok for me , correct duplicates are discarded. Maybe problem your source filter ? Or maybe TIVTC version ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. There's no interlacing in the sample video -- it's already been deinterlaced. Those artifacts were caused by that poor deinterlacing. So there's no need for TFM. Use just TDecimate().
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks you both poison and jagabo, for the information. really appreciated.
    First of all, yes the command TDecimate() works, I thought it wasn't cause of those artifacts "included" in the source. as you said.

I have to upload another sample, this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1s0nmppcz4noyx/jc%20sample%202%20with%20interview%20parts.mkv?dl=0
    it includes interview parts, so I have interview plus movie parts alternatively.
    If I have to choose one, I prefer to fix the interview parts and let the movie parts at their destiny.

But I'm not able to understand:

0 - the original filename is "m2ts_ - 1 - h264, 480i60.mkv.avs", even if I can't really see any interlaced frame in the source,
    I presume it is interlaced and it must be fixed, doesn't it?

1 - Have I to use TDecimate() fo the whole bonus? is it good for interview too?
    2 - Have I to use another command in order to fix the interview parts only?

--------------

secondary question: is it this the correct use for z_Spline36Resize?
    I mean could it be used when I crop horizontally too?

final script:
    Code:
    #NTSC  16:9   720 x 480  40:33 ITU ON

crop(98, 2, -98, -2)
    z_Spline36Resize(524,474,0,1,0,-1)
    bbmod(1,1,0,0,128,8)
    TDecimate()
    Prefetch(7)
    Last edited by maudit; 30th Apr 2022 at 18:58.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by maudit View Post
    0 - the original filename is "m2ts_ - 1 - h264, 480i60.mkv.avs", even if I can't really see any interlaced frame in the source,
    I presume it is interlaced and it must be fixed, doesn't it?
    You can't judge by the name -- anybody can name a file whatever they want. You can examine the video properties with MediaInfo. It says your two videos are interlaced. But that's how they are encoded -- not the actual content of the frames. The new video is encoded interlaced but the frames were deinterlaced before encoding. So the content of the frames is progressive. I think the interview sections were shot with an interlaced video camera and deinterlaced with a "discard field and duplicate the remaining field" algorithm -- leaving you with 30 unique frames per second. The film sections have 24 unique frames (aside from deinterlacing and encoding artifacts) out of every 30 frames.

Originally Posted by maudit View Post
    1 - Have I to use TDecimate() fo the whole bonus? is it good for interview too?
    2 - Have I to use another command in order to fix the interview parts only?
    TDecimate() is good for the film sections but will make the interviews jerky. Conversely, you could skip the decimation and have smooth interviews but jerky film sections. It's also possible (with some difficulty) to mix the two methods and encode with a variable frame rate, ie, 24p for the film sections 30p for the video sections.

You can smooth the edges of the video sections with QTGMC(InputType=2). That will probably help with some of the similar artifacts in the film sections.

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("jc sample 2 with interview parts.mkv", cache=false, prefer_hw=2) 
    QTGMC(InputType=2)
    Smoothness will be similar to the source but there will be fewer aliasing artifacts.
    Quote Quote