VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I'll preface this by telling whoever may read this that I have a Hauppauge HD PVR 1212 capturing interlaced content over component, and you can see my computer specs on my profile.

Something I've noticed about this recording device is that whenever I record interlaced sources, in the capture application (Hauppauge Capture) and when I'm playing the footage back in MPC-HC, it appears to be beautifully deinterlaced with the full framerate. However, when I import the footage into Vegas Pro for editing, it is completely interlaced (visible horizontal lines during any kind of movement).

I'm thinking MPC-HC is doing some sort of on-the-fly deinterlacing using instructions contained in the .TS file it is playing the footage from or using the LAV splitter/decoder that shows up on my system tray whilst it's playing.

I'd like to be able to see same the fully deinterlaced in my editing software that I see when I play my footage in MPC-HC, any suggestions? I'm willing to provide any clips/screenshots or additional information necessary for solving this problem.

Thanks,
    - Kai
    Quote Quote  
  2. Switch project to 60p, set deinterlacing mode: interpolate, disable resample, set preview mode to Good or Best.

If this does not help, right click on the event, properties, and set scanning type to upper field dirst (most likely) or lower field firsr (less likely).
    Last edited by ConsumerDV; 29th Apr 2022 at 19:36.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It might be that vegas isn't reading the flags .

You can check with mediainfo (view=>text) to see field order and whether or not it was encoded progressive or interlaced

And you can interpret the file in vegas, such as field order if it was read incorrectly as progressive

The other possibility is that you haven't setup vegas correctly eg. maybe you disabled deinterlacing
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the MediaInfo about the file that was recorded:

Code:
    General
    ID                          : 0 (0x0)
    Complete name               : D:\Video\Recordings\Rocket_20220429_1128.ts
    Format                      : MPEG-TS
    File size                   : 1.25 GiB
    Duration                    : 19 min 25 s
    Overall bit rate mode       : Variable
    Overall bit rate            : 9 233 kb/s
    Maximum Overall bit rate    : 18.0 Mb/s

Video
    ID                          : 4113 (0x1011)
    Menu ID                     : 1 (0x1)
    Format                      : AVC
    Format/Info                 : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile              : Main@L3.1
    Format settings             : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
    Format settings, CABAC      : Yes
    Format settings, Reference  : 4 frames
    Format settings, GOP        : M=4, N=32
    Codec ID                    : 27
    Duration                    : 19 min 25 s
    Bit rate mode               : Variable
    Bit rate                    : 8 389 kb/s
    Maximum bit rate            : 20.0 Mb/s
    Width                       : 720 pixels
    Height                      : 480 pixels
    Display aspect ratio        : 4:3
    Frame rate                  : 29.970 (30000/1001) FPS
    Standard                    : NTSC
    Color space                 : YUV
    Chroma subsampling          : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                   : 8 bits
    Scan type                   : Interlaced
    Scan type, store method     : Separated fields
    Scan order                  : Top Field First
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)          : 0.810
    Stream size                 : 1.14 GiB (91%)
    Color range                 : Limited
    Color primaries             : BT.601 NTSC
    Transfer characteristics    : BT.601
    Matrix coefficients         : BT.601

Audio
    ID                          : 4352 (0x1100)
    Menu ID                     : 1 (0x1)
    Format                      : AC-3
    Format/Info                 : Audio Coding 3
    Commercial name             : Dolby Digital
    Codec ID                    : 129
    Duration                    : 19 min 26 s
    Bit rate mode               : Constant
    Bit rate                    : 384 kb/s
    Channel(s)                  : 2 channels
    Channel layout              : L R
    Sampling rate               : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate                  : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
    Compression mode            : Lossy
    Delay relative to video     : -96 ms
    Stream size                 : 53.4 MiB (4%)
    Service kind                : Complete Main
    Also I've attached a screen recording which shows the clear drop in quality between the original file and when I exported using ConsumerDV's settings (nice to see you here man I know we've ran into each other before on YouTube).

EDIT: I realise the screen recording is zoomed in too much for some reason but it still gets the point across
    Last edited by kaibomo; 29th Apr 2022 at 20:10. Reason: Mistake with recording attached
    Quote Quote  
  5. What version of vegas ?

There were some issues with certain Hauppauge HDPVR models, and certain firmware revisions. Some would swap fields, some would loose sync, etc... This might be contributing to how vegas handles the file

Can you cut (Stream copy) a sample of the source with motion (e.g. avidemux set to "copy" mode, or using tsmuxer) and upload it
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well, my settings were to be able to preview the video in deinterlaced form. The preview quality does not indicate real rendered quality.

Yes, it would be nice if you uploaded the original video. Also, what settings did you use to render your MP4 video?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've attached a direct copy of the original file I created by opening it in Avidemux and selecting a small portion of it. The original file is too large to upload here in its entirety but if you want I can record a clip short enough to send here recorded using the same exact means.

I'm using Vegas Pro 18, but have also experienced the same problems with every other version of Vegas Pro I've used. The .MP4 render (the second clip I opened in the screen recording) was exported to 2560x1440 at 60p because that's what I upload things as (or 1920x1440 for 4:3) because YouTube heavily compresses things under 1440p nowadays. Before exporting I was sure to change the project setting to "interpolate fields".
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, the .mkv file I just attached behaves the same way as the full length one, with the full deinterlacing in the player but failing to achieve the same results upon import to other softwares (VirtualDub, Handbrake, TSMuxer)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Your original file would not load in my Vegas, I use an old version 14. After remuxing to TS it loads but shows no video. So I loaded the original MKV into VirtualDub2. I added filter Deinterlace: Interpolate using Yadif, Double frame rate, Top field first. VirtualDub shows image rate at 60, but it is interlaced. If I deinterlace, the filter shows frame rate 120. It looks like every other frame has to be removed first. I tried Video -> Frame Rate -> Process Every Other Frame, but it did not work as I wanted. I am pretty sure you can do it with Avisynth, but I myself don't use it (just started playing with it). Hopefully, someone else will be able to help. Nice to see you too here, man!

Another thing is chroma. I noticed on your yesterday's video that red hearts are poorly rendered, looks "dirty". I noticed in VirtualDub2, that Yadif handles chroma better than MSU deinterlacer. Usually I prefer MSU over Yadif because MSU handles diagonals better, but in this case Yadif clearly was better.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	msu-vs-yadif.png
Views:	41
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	64591  

Last edited by ConsumerDV; 30th Apr 2022 at 13:24.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the new information, fingers crossed someone with Avisynth knowledge shows up
    Quote Quote  
  11. just for the fun of it I applied QTGMC(fast)+BasicVSR++ on the Rocket_20220429_1128.mkv-clip,...
    Image Attached Files
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Holy smokes! That looks amazing, just as good as the playback I'm getting in MPC-HC. Could you send me the code necessary to do that in Avisynth?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Afaik BasicVSR++ isn't available in Avisynth and it's rather slow, I think I got 2fps with my Geforce GTX 1070ti.

The deinterlacing is done through QTGMC, basic script for Avisynth which uses QTGMC would be:
    Code:
    ClearAutoloadDirs()
    SetFilterMTMode("DEFAULT_MT_MODE", MT_MULTI_INSTANCE)
    LoadPlugin("I:\WORKSP~2\Hybrid\debug\32bit\AVISYN~1\DGDecodeNV.dll")
    LoadPlugin("I:\WORKSP~2\Hybrid\debug\32bit\AVISYN~1\RgTools.dll")
    LoadPlugin("I:\WORKSP~2\Hybrid\debug\32bit\AVISYN~1\masktools2.dll")
    LoadPlugin("I:\WORKSP~2\Hybrid\debug\32bit\AVISYN~1\mvtools2.dll")
    LoadPlugin("I:\WORKSP~2\Hybrid\debug\32bit\AVISYN~1\nnedi3.dll")
    Import("I:\workspace\Hybrid\debug\32bit\avisynthPlugins\QTGMC.avsi")
    Import("I:\workspace\Hybrid\debug\32bit\avisynthPlugins\Zs_RF_Shared.avsi")
    # loading source: C:\Users\Selur\Desktop\Rocket_20220429_1128.mkv
    # color sampling YV12@8, matrix: bt601, scantyp: top field first, luminance scale: limited
    DGSource(dgi="E:\Temp\mkv_7e3ac9a425320fb1a27bd6c9aa7c8f7f_853323747.dgi",fieldop=2)
    # current resolution: 720x480
    # deinterlacing
    AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC(Preset="Fast", ediThreads=2)
    # filtering
    # scaling to 720x540
    Spline36Resize(720,540)
    # adjusting bit depth current 8 to target 10
    # convert to 10bit for encoder
    ConvertBits(10)
    PreFetch(16)
    # setting output fps to 59.940fps
    AssumeFPS(60000,1001)
    #  output: color sampling YV12@10, matrix: bt601, scantyp: progressive, luminance scale: limited
    return last
    I only applied BasicVSR++ to see what it would do. It totally changed the clip (aggressive AA&smoothing), but I liked the effect too.

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MPC-HC does indeed have an option which defaults playback of interlaced sources as de-interlaced.

Go to View > Options > Internal Filters > Video Decoder > Deinterlacing mode. Turn that to 'disabled' to see what I mean

I can not comment on Vegas but in any editor I have used the default is always to display the preview as-is. Even a simple editor such as avidemux does that and it is up to the user whether to leave as-is or de-interlace accordingly.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yes, the video is interlaced and flagged as such. Interlaced videos with "Separated fields" are incorrectly handled by many decoders. LWlibavVideoSource in AviSynth sees the field rate as the frame rate so it needs to be overridden. Otherwise I didn't see anything wrong with it. This encodes at about 110 fps on my i9 9900K:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("Rocket_20220429_1128.mkv") 
    AssumeFPS(30000, 1001) # correct the frame rate
    QTGMC()
    prefetch(8)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th Apr 2022 at 21:17.
    Quote Quote  
  16. btw. is there a filter or script in Avisynth which could be used for such extreme 'Anti Aliasing' as BasicVSR++ did there?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    btw. is there a filter or script in Avisynth which could be used for such extreme 'Anti Aliasing' as BasicVSR++ did there?
    Maybe Santiag. It has options for x and y size. You can also call it more than once with different options. Combined with aWarpSharp2?
    Quote Quote