VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    I have this one Image
    [Attachment 64538 - Click to enlarge]

But i need someone to tell me a capture card, that makes 1080 x 720 and 60 frames per second, a good one, that has super video, RCA and firewire / DV inputs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can't capture S-Video (the S stands for "separate" not "super") or composite ("RCA") to greater than their inherent discrete vertical and temporal resolution without "upscaling" (molesting) the original signal.

Your Brazilian PAL-M sources are 525-line @ ~30 fps (29.97) with approximately 480 active lines. Standard capture resolution is 720x480. Professional capture solutions allow 720x486 which grabs a few more vertical lines, including those outside the "active" area (containing data such as North American "line 21" closed captions).

There may be good reasons to use a different capture card than your Pinnacle 700, but resolution is not one of them.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. No such thing for analog sources.
    Analog only does standard definition resolutions and frame rates.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard-definition_television
    Upscaling it will not make it look better...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I've seen that picture across almost all your threads, I don't know what you are trying to achieve.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    All I want is a card that has the same inputs as mine, but maybe a little better or the same power.
    I know 60 frames to VHS is next to nothing, but I do other things besides converting VHS.
    So which one should I look for?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    I know 60 frames to VHS is next to nothing, but I do other things besides converting VHS.
    VHS has nothing to do with it. The two analog inputs you mentioned can only handle standard definition video, which has a maximum of 30 fps. (Interlaced sources can be "double-rate deinterlaced" so you can produce 60 fps progressive from 30 fps interlaced captures, but you shouldn't do this during capture.)

And with regard to your mention of Firewire, you don't need a "capture card" for that.

On the other hand, if you have a component (YPbPr) source, that can be 480p, 720p, 1080i, or even 1080p.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I guess the point that has to be made explicitly: a more "powerful" connection like component vs composite, or a more "powerful" box that converts composite to HDMI will not turn VHS video into HD. Capture what you have at the best quality you can, then you can convert it to whatever format you need. In case of capturing VHS off your D-VHS VCR, SVideo seems to be the best option.

I personally think that it is pointless to convert VHS to HD, but YouTube does not enable 60 fps for videos that have fewer than 720 lines, also HD videos are allotted higher bitrate, so upscaling SD to HD is the necessary evil when uploading to YouTube. But you don't have to do it for your own home use and preservation. Instead you may opt to high-quality lossless or visually lossless SD capture, and spend bitrate not onto extra pixels that contain no extra information, but on achieving fewer artefacts.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    And with regard to your mention of Firewire, you don't need a "capture card" for that.
    Speaking of firewire, I just remembered from few years back that all Pinnacle devices (PCI & USB) equipped with a firewire port are only designed to carry a compliant DV stream, No other devices can be used such as firewire optical and hard drives, This explains his inability to stream from D-VHS over that Pinnacle firewire card, Though I warned him about it in his original thread posts #32 and #34 and told him to try a different firewire card designed for data, but as usual he just glosses over posts without paying any attention to details.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 27th Apr 2022 at 01:57. Reason: added link
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Yes, there are still relatively inexpensive Firewire-only cards available for desktop PCs.

In the past, I have recommended the SYBA SY-PEX30016 3 Port IEEE 1394 Firewire PCIe x1 card, which has 2x 1394B ports and 1x 1394A and a TI XIO2213B Chipset. It is supposed to be able to accept input from many legacy data sources that use Firewire for output.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Apr 2022 at 10:39.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    [Attachment 64771 - Click to enlarge]
    I'm going to buy this card, it's a little expensive to get to the Amazon in Brazil, but I have to test another card to see if my D-vhs is still alive outputting the i-link
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to share my recent experience on capturing Video8 analog to DV format. You need two items.
    1. Firewire/iLink card
    2. A used Sony handycam(for my case a used Sony DCR-HC85E with defective LCD panel but touch panel still working)
    A used Sony mini DV handycam is preferred in order to avoid capturing problems. Turn on the A/V to DV option and connect your RCA or composite to the handycam.
    Playback the analog tapes and the video is capture using pass through with mini DV handycam.

It will be difficult to get Windows 7 or 10 driver for your Pinnacle AV / DV2 PCI 700 assuming that the capture card is still functional. Only analog video playback with composite/RCA output need a capture card. This analog capture is hard to find now. Analog video tapes are going to be obsolete once there is no working device to playback. All mini DV handycams have analog input and it's a hussle free capture card.

Here is an example.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vnL4nCv2RM

Or get a RCA/Composite to USB converter.
    Last edited by pchan; 14th May 2022 at 00:42.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    Just to share my recent experience on capturing Video8 analog to DV format. You need two items.
    1. Firewire/iLink card
    2. A used Sony handycam(for my case a used Sony DCR-HC85E with defective LCD panel but touch panel still working)
    A used Sony mini DV handycam is preferred in order to avoid capturing problems. Turn on the A/V to DV option and connect your RCA or composite to the handycam.
    Playback the analog tapes and the video is capture using pass through with mini DV handycam.

It will be difficult to get Windows 7 or 10 driver for your Pinnacle AV / DV2 PCI 700 assuming that the capture card is still functional. Only analog video playback with composite/RCA output need a capture card. This analog capture is hard to find now. Analog video tapes are going to be obsolete once there is no working device to playback. All mini DV handycams have analog input and it's a hussle free capture card.

Here is an example.

Interesting, but do you believe that me buying this card instead of my pinnacle (which only gets 720x480), can it be the solution to get the d-vhs output that is 1080x720?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    1. Firewire/iLink card

Here is an example.

Interesting, but do you believe that me buying this card instead of my pinnacle (which only gets 720x480), can it be the solution to get the d-vhs output that is 1080x720?
    IF you can find a D-VHS player with HDMI output then you can get a HD Video recorder e.g. EZCap or AGPTek that record to USB thumb drive. Otherwise, just settle with component or s-video to HD video recorder like Ezcap 284. This is just a suggestion as I was contemplating of getting it before I managed to A/V to DV passthru.

Note: You need to content with HDCP as most movies are protected.

FYI:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1iN4ULZcX4
    Quote Quote  
  14. Captures & Restoration lollo's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And at this point dellsam34 will start to cry
    Quote Quote  
  15. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Finding the only two D-VHS models ever came with HDMI for anything less than $1000 is a miracle regardless the dumb advice to capture out of HDMI.
    Quote Quote