+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!
    Can you please recommend a camcorder that:
    1.Has an On/Off button that is not beneath the LCD screen
    2.Has AV-Output (analog) connector that is not beneath the LCD screen
    3.A camcorder that does not shut down when you close the LCD screen (that can function with the screen closed even if is not recording)
    4.A camcorder with remote control that is functional the moment you power on the camcorder, and it does not need every time a pairing procedure (like good old IR remote controls)
    5.A camcorder that outputs also its HUD over the AV-out, so I know if the camcorder is recording or not by looking at the external monitor

Wi-Fi option of certain camcorders could have been useful, as it can replace both the external monitor and the remote control with the phone, but everytime you start the camcorder the phone must be paired, with the LCD open. Are there any camcorders that automatically start Wi-Fi and pair with the previously configured phone, without user intervention?
    I have to replace an old DV camcorder that is not working anymore and all new camcorders have no such features, all of them have the On/Off button and AV-out connector beneath the LCD screen, all of them shut down when you close the LCD screen.
    Your suggestions will be very appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you're looking at consumer or prosumer camcorders the answer is easy -- that combination of features does not exist.

Sony has a number of models (such as AX53) with rear viewfinders that allow the camera to stay on with the LCD screen closed even while not recording
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    New camcorders do not have analog to digital pass-thru or hdmi input. This would make the camcorder like a VCR. With such capability, it would need HDCP for copyright protection. A RCA-to-HDMI upscaler and HDMI recorder would a cheaper alternative for digitizing analog source.
    Last edited by pchan; 25th Apr 2022 at 19:18.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    New camcorders do not have analog to digital pass-thru or hdmi input. This would make the camcorder like a VCR. With such capability, it would need HDCP for copyright protection. A RCA-to-HDMI upscaler and HDMI recorder would a cheaper alternative for digitizing analog source.
    I don't need analog input, I need analog output, to an external analog portable monitor.
    It's also acceptable digital output through Wi-Fi/Bluetooth to smartphone, but I need the camcorder to remember automatically to pair with the smartphone on Start/Power up.
    Unfortunately even Sony FDR-AX53 has the start button beneath the LCD Screen.Why this stupid change in design?
    Last edited by edytibi; 27th Apr 2022 at 14:39.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    Unfortunately even Sony FDR-AX53 has the start button beneath the LCD Screen.Why this stupid change in design?
    Because it was common for people to leave the camera running, put it down or stick it in the bag, deplete their batteries and fill up their storage. Overall it's been a net positive.

Pretty sure you can disable auto shutoff in the menu though.
    Last edited by smrpix; 27th Apr 2022 at 16:37.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know of any modern video cameras that output analog. You would need either a portable digital monitor or a hdmi to composite adapter.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last edited by larioso; 28th Apr 2022 at 13:18.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Because it was common for people to leave the camera running, put it down or stick it in the bag, deplete their batteries and fill up their storage. Overall it's been a net positive.

Pretty sure you can disable auto shutoff in the menu though.
    This explanation is good for shutdown when you close the LCD.The placement of start button and AV output beneath the LCD don't work with your explanation.And for Panasonic V770 you can't disable shutdown when LCD is closed from the menu, only by destroying the switch from LCD hinge.
    I think I'll hardwire the contacts from the power button and from AV output.
    Last edited by edytibi; 28th Apr 2022 at 16:27.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Avoid the Sony FDR-AX53 like the plague. I had one and unless your a complete moron that want the camcorder to do everything you have very little control with the settings. Got rid of it after only a couple of months
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the advice.
    Quote Quote