VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to combine the texture of the vintage camcorder with the feeling of 24 frames.

After changing the sequence setting to 23.976 fps within Adobe PP, a weak break occurs when playing.

Is there a better way?

Looking at the other posts,

It says to use Reel Smart Motion Blur or Motion Flow, but I don't know what it means exactly.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 30i deinterlaced into 60p and then conformed to 24p does not look as horrible as I thought, still it would be better to shoot at 24p to begin with.

What FCP calls conforming, Adobe PP calls time interpolation.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You could also try simple IVTC with clever Ffmpeg-GUI
    Quote Quote  
  4. Shoot in 24/25fps then
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    You could also try simple IVTC with clever Ffmpeg-GUI
    Isn't that the way to restore the video taken with the film camera?
    I took this video with a vintage camcorder.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ConsumerDV View Post
    30i deinterlaced into 60p and then conformed to 24p does not look as horrible as I thought, still it would be better to shoot at 24p to begin with.

What FCP calls conforming, Adobe PP calls time interpolation.
    I want to shoot with 24P, but my vintage camcorder doesn't have 24P function...

So is it optimal to use the optical flow function within Adobe PP after encoding with 60P?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Then it should be 29.97 interlaced, assuming it was captured properly.
    Can you post a short sample?
    Last edited by davexnet; 25th Apr 2022 at 14:58.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
    If you want to shoot with 24p then get a camcorder that shoots in 24p, it is 2022 now, not 2002 when 24p was available only on select professional camcorders. At that time they shot in 30i because this is what their camcorders did, and converted to 24 fps because they needed to film out for movie theaters and festivals. Some people would buy a PAL camcorder, shoot in 25i, deinterlace to 25p, and slow down to 24fps. Now you don't need to convert to 24 fps, and celluloid is gone.

Sony used to have such a kind of "fake movie mode" on its early DV camcorders called CineFrame: the camcorder would shoot in 30i, then it would throw away some fields, re-jiggle them into 24p cadence and record on tape into 30i stream. It would look jerky as if it had 2:3 judder when 24p is shown on a 60 Hz screen. It would lose resolution as well. In short, it was garbage. I am not sure why do you want to go for this effect.

Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
    So is it optimal to use the optical flow function within Adobe PP after encoding with 60P?
    I don't know really, you need to experiment. If you want judder, then I guess you DON'T want optical flow, because optical flow tries to make it smoother. So, your timeline is in 24p?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ConsumerDV View Post
    If you want to shoot with 24p then get a camcorder that shoots in 24p, it is 2022 now, not 2002 when 24p was available only on select professional camcorders. At that time they shot in 30i because this is what their camcorders did, and converted to 24 fps because they needed to film out for movie theaters and festivals. Some people would buy a PAL camcorder, shoot in 25i, deinterlace to 25p, and slow down to 24fps. Now you don't need to convert to 24 fps, and celluloid is gone.

Sony used to have such a kind of "fake movie mode" on its early DV camcorders called CineFrame: the camcorder would shoot in 30i, then it would throw away some fields, re-jiggle them into 24p cadence and record on tape into 30i stream. It would look jerky as if it had 2:3 judder when 24p is shown on a 60 Hz screen. It would lose resolution as well. In short, it was garbage. I am not sure why do you want to go for this effect.

I don't know really, you need to experiment. If you want judder, then I guess you DON'T want optical flow, because optical flow tries to make it smoother. So, your timeline is in 24p?
    I heard that the movie or MV usually uses 23.976 frames.
    By comparison, 29.97 seems to feel somewhat soft.

So I'm trying to convert from 29.97 to 23.976 to make MV.
    Is this a wrong idea?

What exactly does it mean that the timeline is at 24p?

I tried changing the frame rate of the clip within the sequence setting and project window.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Then it should be 29.97 interlaced, assuming it was captured properly.
    Can you post a short sample?
    I checked and found that the source that captured the mini DV tape using WinDV is 29.97i

The source of Hi8 tape capture using AmarecTV is 59.94i.

Is there anything wrong with this process?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
    You are going to be creating a video in an NLE. Will your timeline be in 24p or 30p or 60p? How and where do you want to deliver? If you are delivering for U.S. TV, then it should be either 29.97i or 59.94p; you will need to pull your 24p down to one of these rates. For YouTube it can be any as long as it is progressive-scan.

A common technique to make dreamy looking MV is to shoot at a faster speed, say you double music speed and you double lip-sync, then you slow it down to half speed and get sort of a slow motion effect. Looks really cool for head-banging

I checked and found that the source that captured the mini DV tape using WinDV is 29.97i

Same thing, different notation. Some say it is 29.97 fps, 2:1 interlaced (29.97i, two fields per frame). Other say it is 59.94 fields per second. Usually, if the "i" or "p" in the middle, then frame rate is used, when the letter is at the end and there is a slash, then field rate is used, like: 480i30 but 480/60i. Usually you can figure it out from context. True frame rates can be pretty much any, but there are only two common interlace rates: 50 and 59.94.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ConsumerDV View Post
    You are going to be creating a video in an NLE. Will your timeline be in 24p or 30p or 60p? How and where do you want to deliver? If you are delivering for U.S. TV, then it should be either 29.97i or 59.94p; you will need to pull your 24p down to one of these rates. For YouTube it can be any as long as it is progressive-scan.

A common technique to make dreamy looking MV is to shoot at a faster speed, say you double music speed and you double lip-sync, then you slow it down to half speed and get sort of a slow motion effect. Looks really cool for head-banging

Same thing, different notation. Some say it is 29.97 fps, 2:1 interlaced (29.97i, two fields per frame). Other say it is 59.94 fields per second. Usually, if the "i" or "p" in the middle, then frame rate is used, when the letter is at the end and there is a slash, then field rate is used, like: 480i30 but 480/60i. Usually you can figure it out from context. True frame rates can be pretty much any, but there are only two common interlace rates: 50 and 59.94.
    The purpose is upload to YouTube.

I was going to put mini DV and Hi8 videos in the 24P timeline and make the final version in 24P.

I'm worried because they say the results aren't good.

So there are three ways, after all.

1. After shooting with a 24P camera, edit it with 24P.

2. Edit the current 30P video to 30P.

3. Convert 30P to 24P. (Not in a good way?)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
    So I'm trying to convert from 29.97 to 23.976 to make MV.
    Is this a wrong idea?
    Yes. You will not get good results that way. If you want 24p you should get a camera that shoots 24p. And learn how to shoot 24p -- shallow depth of field, slow shutter speeds (often requiring an ND filter), slow pans, smooth camerawork, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
    The purpose is upload to YouTube. I was going to put mini DV and Hi8 videos in the 24P timeline and make the final version in 24P.
    Is there any particular reason you want it to be 24p besides that movies are still being shot at this rate?

Here is what I can think of:
    1. Get a 24p-capable camera and shoot with it.
    2. Shoot DV in 30i, deinterlace to 60p and conform to 24p, disable frame blending. This will give you characteristic judder that I guess you are looking for. Considering that DV camcorders use CCD, which has global shutter, then with some film effects your video would be able to pass for Super 8 footage. Just do not point the camcorder to bright light to avoid vertical lines caused by CCD saturation - an instant giveaway.
    3. Shoot DV in 30i, deinterlace to 30p, this will give you a sort of "film look" because of every other field will be dropped. This is how all videos on YouTube looked before 2014.
    4. Shoot DV in 30i, but lip-sync to the music sped up 1.25x. Then deinterlace to 30p and slow down to 0.8x, which gives you 24p. Use the original music.
    5. Shoot DV in 30i, but lip-sync to the music sped up 2x. Then deinterlace to 60p, slow down to 30p and use the original music.
    6. Shoot DV in 30i, but speed up the music to 2.5x speed. Then deinterlace to 60p, slow down to 24p and use the original music.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by ConsumerDV View Post
    The purpose is upload to YouTube. I was going to put mini DV and Hi8 videos in the 24P timeline and make the final version in 24P.
    Is there any particular reason you want it to be 24p besides that movies are still being shot at this rate?

2. Shoot DV in 30i, deinterlace to 60p and conform to 24p, disable frame blending. This will give you characteristic judder that I guess you are looking for. Considering that DV camcorders use CCD, which has global shutter, then with some film effects your video would be able to pass for Super 8 footage. Just do not point the camcorder to bright light to avoid vertical lines caused by CCD saturation - an instant giveaway.
    3. Shoot DV in 30i, deinterlace to 30p, this will give you a sort of "film look" because of every other field will be dropped. This is how all videos on YouTube looked before 2014.
    4. Shoot DV in 30i, but lip-sync to the music sped up 1.25x. Then deinterlace to 30p and slow down to 0.8x, which gives you 24p. Use the original music.
    5. Shoot DV in 30i, but lip-sync to the music sped up 2x. Then deinterlace to 60p, slow down to 30p and use the original music.
    6. Shoot DV in 30i, but speed up the music to 2.5x speed. Then deinterlace to 60p, slow down to 24p and use the original music.

There's no other reason, but I'm going to convert it to 24P only to make it close to the film look.

I'll have to experiment with all the methods you recommended.

Is optical flow used in the time interpolation setting when lowering the frame rate in the timeline after deinterlacing?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by ConsumerDV View Post

What is the difference between conform and slow down?

and What do you call putting 60p video in 24p sequence?
    Quote Quote