VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I'm desperate to try and salvage a home video with my family shot in the mid 1990's. I last watched it in 2005. It was one of several VHS's I sent to Walgreens conversion service to have it converted to DVD...they said it would require specialty repair services if there is any chance at it being salvaged. They didn't have the "dozens of VCR's that might be needed and they don't take on that kind of "liability" because they would "have to risk destroying the tape." They just simply returned it to me...

I've read about tracking issues, magnetic issues, chemical degradation, mold, etc. and I suspect it will be one of these kind of issues...I'd be willing to pay a premium for a trusted service or person to try and save the contents of this tape. Its the only footage of my grandfather, as well as me as a baby...

I've heard of experts who have like a dozen VCR's to try and hone in on tracking problems...or who "bake" the tape...or even go so far as to take 1000's of still images from the tape reel and paint them all in photoshop/premiere or something? I'll consider anything...

I would sincerely appreciate your guys guidance/help. Everyone here sounds knowledgeable and passionate...I should have known better than to trust some corporate company with my precious memories...

I thank you for your time and consideration. Any suggestions/leads would be very appreciated.

Aloha
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by keith0301 View Post
    I'd be willing to pay a premium for a trusted service or person to try and save the contents of this tape.
    [...]
    Any suggestions/leads would be very appreciated.

Aloha
    So is that what you're here seeking? I'm a bit lost, as in other parts of the post it sounds like you'd rather DIY it if possible. Either way, you didn't give us enough info to provide detailed suggestions.

In particular, where in the world are you? The mention of Walgreens narrows it down to USA. Should I assume that the "aloha" places you in Hawaii?

Is the VHS in NTSC format? Is it full-size, or VHS-C? Could it be S-VHS-C?

Shot mid-90's, you last watched '05, Walgreens looked at it and refused in 20xx? If you look at examples of photos online showing VHS tapes with mold, do you see anything like that on your tape's reels? (Be cautious; treat it as a biohazard... I'm only talking about casually looking at the top of the reels.)
    Last edited by Brad; 23rd Apr 2022 at 06:04.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by keith0301 View Post
    Any suggestions/leads would be very appreciated.
    Maybe you send him a PM:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/404676-When-a-VHS-tape-will-be-lost-forever#post2647254
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Understand that even someone with a dozen+ machines doesn't mean they'll risk possibly permanently damaging it if your tape is moldy or flaking. Be prepared to offer a high premium if you do find someone who would be willing to take the risk. In the case of a moldy tape, it may mean risking their health, which for me has no price I'd be willing to take on the task.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I normally would volunteer to do the transfer, but if there is mold, or if the oxide is flaking off, I wouldn't be able to deal with that and, I suspect, no one else will either. However, if it simply has a tracking problem, then someone with a decent VCR (I have such a model) would probably be able to do something with it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Post some photos of the tape, from a couple angles. Top view through the "windows", view of the tape strip. Should be able to tell if it's moldy right away. Can also stick a screwdriver into the button on back of the tape and see if it will wind. VHS can mold often, usually isn't a big deal. It's rare to see it sticky or need baked, even on a really bad tape.

Anyway these details will help find someone willing to try it.
    Quote Quote