VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Alright, so this time around I'm dealing with Panasonic's technology since I got a very sweet deal on a brand new D-VHS VCR from them.

No Component or HDMI output, but I see a Firewire out. So instinctually, I think that that's the only feasible HD output on the deck, since the rest of it consists of Composite, S-Video, and Coaxial. Plenty of people have done Firewire captures with their camcorders and even specialized tape decks, so why not with this? I mean, the output is there.

However, since I've gotten my hands on the hardware, it's been nothing but technical difficulty. And the Internet doesn't have many opinions on these issues, let alone clear cut answers.

The problem is also not as clear cut as you may think. My Firewire cards on both my Mac as well as my Windows 10 PC can clearly detect the VCR as well as identify it. And I can even control the playback within Adobe Premiere Pro, but I'm not seeing any video or hearing any audio to preview and nothing can be recorded.

I'm just curious as to whether I'm doing something wrong, if there's a setting on the VCR I don't know about (I can't read Japanese), or if the Firewire output is just for show. But seriously, why have it if you can't capture footage? That's half the purpose of Firewire alone.

Any help or constructive questions would be greatly appreciated.

-Arian
    Last edited by ArianK; 23rd Apr 2022 at 10:10.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe start here. Also, methinks that there may be more owners of D-VHS machines on AVS Forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    No $hit heh, They leave the threads hanging and wonder why their problems don't get solved, I'm actually more patient than some members even when I sometimes use harsh words.

Anyway, a common practice some thread starters do is never read the user manual for the thing they are inquiring about and come here looking for spoon feeding, If he read the manual he would have known that a D-VHS is not a DV machine, it is an MPEG-2 HD/SD, therefore DV capturing software will not be able to capture anything.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wow, I don't know why you two are being extremely rude to me. I did not know it was forum rules to have to report on every which issue. Obviously, if I did not check back on something, it means I gave up on it.

But fine, I'll take to AVS Forum, but I bet at least one of you will be there encouraging the other users not to assist me for the most petty of reasons. Jesus Christ.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    I had this problem with my two JVC HM-DH30000U. I connected the cables, the software installing appeared and it installed everything normal, went to look for the video and audio and nothing.

I went to work on another one of the same model, and I messed up! I believe that when I moved and changed the cables without turning off the devices and computer, I damaged (Fried or fry) the dv/I-link output of the Dvhs or the firewire input of the capture card. I still do not know.

Because now if I connect the cables, the computer shows a driver error incorrectly installed with an exclamation mark in the driver.

Until then, I didn't know that I had to have such a CapDVHS.exe on the computer to capture audio and video from the D-Vhs.
    Last edited by Caius; 23rd Apr 2022 at 11:16.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ArianK View Post
    Wow, I don't know why you two are being extremely rude to me.
    Maybe because we are the only two ones that tried hard to help you but you didn't give a $hit?

I did not know it was forum rules to have to report on every which issue.
    There is no such rule, but a feedback is always appreciated.

Obviously, if I did not check back on something, it means I gave up on it.
    No, not obvious, it could mean the problem is solved and other members with a similar problem who will follow the thread could have benefited from it.

But fine, I'll take to AVS Forum, but I bet at least one of you will be there encouraging the other users not to assist me for the most petty of reasons. Jesus Christ.
    I'm there, but I will not bother wasting my time.
    Quote Quote