VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi.

The latest version of mkvtoolnix stop support windows 7?

And if they did why?

I know win7 don't supported anymore even from Microsoft itself but there is really to many machines with win7 on it cause it is to heavy to install win10 to them or doesn't do to loose something win7 has and win10 doesn't.

Final conclusion is there any chance to support again win7 or not? If you have stop support win7 at the latest version of mkvtoolnix.

And another thing is that the convert from truehd -> ac3 doesn't work correctly as work the dtshd -> dts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    So you tell me to run latest version of mkvtoolnix at win7 i must install quick time?

And official now stop support win7?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No. As mentioned in that topic, Mosu builds mkvtoolnix using the Qt framework.

Qt | Cross-platform software development for embedded & desktop

The latest versions of the framework apparently build programs that don't work with Windows 7. El Heggunte lists a build or two in that thread that supposedly work on Windows 7 (I don't have Windows 7 to test). Try those builds, or see if someone has compiled a build of the recent versions of mkvtoolnix that will work with Windows 7.

As I understand it, it's not so much that Mosu has discontinued Win7 support, as the framework he's using doesn't support Win7/8. I could be wrong, though.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Already did and worked just fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    And another thing is that the convert from truehd -> ac3 doesn't work correctly as work the dtshd -> dts.
    To my knowledge MKVToolnix never had this function. Dolby TrueHD carries no core. Converting to AC3 would mean recoding, something MKVToolnix doesn't.
    TrueHD on (UHD)BD have a mandatory embedded AC3 track, often confusingly refered to as "core". With such sources, MKVToolnix is able to de-interleave TrueHD and AC3 and mux both (or either one), but always as separate tracks.
    Only with DTS-HD audio the "Reduce to core" option becomes available. Such tracks carry a real core which MKVToolnix can extract.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Oh yes it has at the latest versions add that fuction
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll gladly stand corrected, but I can't find it in the GUI. Running version 67.0.0.31 on Windows 7.

Can you tell me where that function is?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Still the same.

The latest version of mkvtoolnix 69.0.0 64bit portable don't even start at win7.
    It bring that error. "CreateDXGIFactory2 file dxgi.dll"

Is there any solution?
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    Still the same.

The latest version of mkvtoolnix 69.0.0 64bit portable don't even start at win7.
    It bring that error. "CreateDXGIFactory2 file dxgi.dll"

Is there any solution?
    While no one starts making Windows-7-friendly builds, you should use a lightweight distro of Linux for running the latest versions of MKVtoolnix.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  11. If you go to the mkvtoolnix blog there is already an answer from the author on the problem of the latest version.
    [Attachment 66145 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    While no one starts making Windows-7-friendly builds, you should use a lightweight distro of Linux for running the latest versions of MKVtoolnix.
    Very true. I created a dualboot with linux long ago where I can run a lot of latest apps. It's just a bit annoying when busy in Win7 you can't do other things at the same time.

Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight91 View Post
    If you go to the mkvtoolnix blog there is already an answer from the author on the problem of the latest version.
    It indeed was known for a long time that Mosu dropped Win7 compatibility, and proper functionality was unintended. Now it just seems more "official" to many.
    Quote Quote