VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Hello friends, I bought this camera, I don't know if it's good, I had some tapes from a friend, but I don't know if it had something recorded, because the video is just showing this (video I sent).

I know it doesn't read digital tapes. Would that be the case?

I would be very grateful for advices on how and what to use in it.

[Attachment 64451 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 64450 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Caius; 21st Apr 2022 at 22:25.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would be very grateful for advices on how and what to use in it.
    How about googling for a manual?
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/product/ccd-trv138/manuals
    According to the manual page 34 I would have expected the Hi8 logo to appear on the screen for a Hi8 analog video, but I don't really know.

Secondly, why are you always posting in bold letters? Means shouting at people.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-21 104856.png
Views:	18
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	64454  

Last edited by Sharc; 21st Apr 2022 at 04:51. Reason: Picture added
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That's just a V8/Hi8 camcorder, The tape could be blank or could be a D8 tape, To find out for sure you would need a D8 camcorder, No need to get a D8 with analog playback since you have an analog camcorder already.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    YouTube example of Digital8 tape played back in Hi8 player. In his case, no audio was output.

You're getting static audio throughout, along with a mix of static video and cuts to blue-back. Your tape-speed indicator keeps changing from SP to LP and back.

Maybe a PAL/NTSC mismatch? You're in Brazil where the TV standard was PAL-M. Is your TRV138 a Brazilian variant, or an import?
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    I would be very grateful for advices on how and what to use in it.
    How about googling for a manual?
    https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/product/ccd-trv138/manuals
    According to the manual page 34 I would have expected the Hi8 logo to appear on the screen for a Hi8 analog video, but I don't really know.

Secondly, why are you always posting in bold letters? Means shouting at people.
    Yes, thanks.
    Bold letters its because somes peoples (40 years age older more) can read better like that, inst?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    YouTube example of Digital8 tape played back in Hi8 player. In his case, no audio was output.

You're getting static audio throughout, along with a mix of static video and cuts to blue-back. Your tape-speed indicator keeps changing from SP to LP and back.

Maybe a PAL/NTSC mismatch? You're in Brazil where the TV standard was PAL-M. Is your TRV138 a Brazilian variant, or an import?

I don't know about pal-m stuffs, i am going to see this on setup but if audio is appearing (hiss), could it also be a tape with nothing recorded?

Is your TRV138 a Brazilian variant, or an import? How to know that??
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    I understood that I was supposed to buy a D8 camera so I could read both analog and digital tapes, right?

But another friend, who also captures tapes, told me that in 14 years of work, only four digital tapes appeared for him. At least in São Paulo, Brazil.

So it's much more common for this tape I played or not to have anything recorded or to be analog right?
    Quote Quote  
  8. But another friend, who also captures tapes, told me that in 14 years of work, only four digital tapes appeared for him. At least in São Paulo, Brazil.
    So it's much more common for this tape I played or not to have anything recorded or to be analog right?
    Maybe, but statistics don't help you if you are the exception.
    Why didn't the Hi8 logo show up on screen? Try with another tape from your friend. It's all the same?
    Last edited by Sharc; 21st Apr 2022 at 05:55.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    So it's much more common for this tape I played or not to have anything recorded or to be analog right?[/B]
    Why are you asking weird questions? How do we know what's inside the tape? If you can get a digital8 camcorder you can find out for sure what's in it, if not have someone with the right equipment find that out for you. You keep speculating in your threads instead of taking the advise and working towards solving your problems.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    But another friend, who also captures tapes, told me that in 14 years of work, only four digital tapes appeared for him. At least in São Paulo, Brazil.
    Why didn't the Hi8 logo show up on screen? Try with another tape from your friend. It's all the same?
    There were 4 TDK tapes and one sony like that on the pic. All of them were like the video i posted here.

[Attachment 64456 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    So it's much more common for this tape I played or not to have anything recorded or to be analog right?[/B]
    Why are you asking weird questions? How do we know what's inside the tape? If you can get a digital8 camcorder you can find out for sure what's in it, if not have someone with the right equipment find that out for you. You keep speculating in your threads instead of taking the advise and working towards solving your problems.

It must be the translator. I'll try not to be so weird.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM

Also, he gave me 15 VHS-C that have already been converted, plus these 3 TDK and 1 Sony written 8mm in all, but he doesn't even know if it had recorded things on it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    As far as I know, Digital8 can only be recorded on tapes bearing the Digital8 or Hi8 logo, not standard "8" (Video8) as pictured.
    My YouTube channel with little clips: vhs-decode, comparing TBC, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Looks like a Video8 cassette to me, rather than Hi8 or Digital8. This would explain why you don't get the Hi8 logo on your screen.
    The Hi8 logo or Digital8 (D8) logo is normally printed on the cassette case as well. Surprised to see "NTSC 8" on your cassette.
    Your tapes may simply be empty because your Handycam should also play Video8 as far as I know, but I am not sure.
    Or the recorded format is NTSC and your Handicam (PAL for Brazil) is not compatible with the recorded format.

Edit:
    This article gives some more info:
    https://transfervideotapes.com/difference-between-video-8-and-hi8-tapes/

But you may have the NTSC vs PAL conflict, still.
    Last edited by Sharc; 21st Apr 2022 at 11:22. Reason: Link added
    Quote Quote  
  15. I personally don't have experience with 8mm tapes aside of capturing DV stream from a D8 camcorder. Reading this and replies to it, it seems that Video8 tape is higher quality than VHS to begin with. Why did they use letters "MP", only to release "Metal MP" later? The cassettes have detection holes. It seems that these holes are important for Hi8 recording similar to SVHS/VHS (in 1998 JVC rolled out SVHS-ET that legalized recording "almost SVHS" onto regular VHS tape). According to owners' reports, recording D8 is possible on either Video8 or Hi8 tape.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
    why are you always posting in bold letters? Means shouting at people.
    No it doesn't. Everything typed in upper case means shouting.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search PM
    I'm going to test them on another camcorder, this digital one. Thanks Everybody!
    Quote Quote