VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there
    I have both Twixtor and Vegas Pro 19. I have some videos where playback is a little choppy with skipped frames. I want to use twixtor to improve playback on these videos but keep the fps at 25.
    Virtually every video on Youtube is specifically centred around slow-motion playback of anime videos? I don't want to do that! I just want my videos to be smoother.

What do I do?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can't just blindly apply Twixtor or any other motion estimation algorithm because it is designed to add additional intermediate frames on a regular basis. Your source video almost certainly has dropped frames that are not at regular intervals (you'll have to post a sample for anyone to know for sure). I've written a script which detects drops which are usually associated with dups. I've never been able to perfect the script, but it does work for simple cases:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=161758
    Quote Quote  
  3. I should have probably been a lot clearer in my original post because I don't necessarily want to specifically fix videos that are choppy, rather I WANT Twixtor to add additional intermediate frames on a regular basis! I have done so in the past on videos I have of old TV shows, where I also doubled the frame rate and got marvelous results, especially on rolling end credits, where I could read the text properly.
    However, I want to know if I can do the same without the need to double the frame rate?

Also, in a related matter, someone converted some DVDs for me but for an unknown reason doubled the frame rate. Can I halve the frame rate of these files and keep the playback quality looking good?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    ... I WANT Twixtor to add additional intermediate frames on a regular basis! I have done so in the past on videos I have of old TV shows, where I also doubled the frame rate and got marvelous results, especially on rolling end credits, where I could read the text properly.
    However, I want to know if I can do the same without the need to double the frame rate?
    No.

It is basic "physics:" if you insert an interpolated frame between each existing frame you now have, obviously, twice the number of frames. The only way you can play twice the number of frames in the same amount of time (so the motion doesn't slow down) is to double the frame rate.

Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    Also, in a related matter, someone converted some DVDs for me but for an unknown reason doubled the frame rate. Can I halve the frame rate of these files and keep the playback quality looking good?
    I think you are confusing terms. If they actually doubled the frame rate without also doubling the number of frames, then the video would play at 2x normal speed.

If instead they doubled the number of frames (not "frame rate"), and the extra frames are simply dups of the preceding frame, then you can fix this using a SelectOdd() statement.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In answer to the first question, I didn't think I'd be able to do it but was curious if anyone had and what they thought of the results.

With the second question, I have asked if they used software to interpolate but have not received a response as yet. The MKVs they created were of B&W Doctor Who, were sourced from DVD yet are 50 fps (25 on the DVD). I'm not sure what software they used to create it but as I write this I'm suspecting Handbrake may have been used at some point?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by magnu View Post
    With the second question, I have asked if they used software to interpolate but have not received a response as yet. The MKVs they created were of B&W Doctor Who, were sourced from DVD yet are 50 fps (25 on the DVD).
    I presume, the original Doctor Who was shot on video for interiors and on film for exteriors, a standard British practice for that time. So, the interior shots would be 25i, while the exterior would be 25p. The MKV likely has it all in progressive, so 50p works both for 25i and 25p material.
    Quote Quote