VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I recently downloaded an mp3 file, however it won't show on phone. I have also tried converting it and made a new mp3 copy but this also don't show. All others show, so i know the issue is not with the phone. It shows and plays on the pc. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    What MediaInfo says about that file?
    MAYBE it is not an MP3 at all, to begin with.
    One can rename an MP2 or a WMA or an OGG to "MP3", but it won't become an MP3 only because of the new extension...

ALSO: "normal" MP3s are "MPEG-1", whereas uncommon MP3s are "MPEG-2"/"MPEG2.5" and maybe your smartphone does not support these natively.

I have also tried converting it and made a new mp3 copy but this also don't show.
    HOW that "conversion" happened?

P.S.: Another possibility...

SOME decoders, both software and hardware, are unable to deal with certain MP3 tags — so, assuming the problematic MP3 is an actual MP3 and that it is full of tags, you should remove all its tags and see if your device detects it as a valid audio file.
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 20th Apr 2022 at 05:42.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  3. @Dani33

Maybe, you should upload this mp3 file to some location and paste the upload link here. In that way someone can inspect the file.

Another idea is to open the problematic mp3 in a hex editor and compare the header with that of a known good mp3 file.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll second what El Heggunte said - definitely take a look at the file using MediaInfo in text mode, and post the results here. And comparing it to a MediaInfo reading of an MP3 that your phone does recognize won't hurt, either.

Does your phone's manual list any specifics for MP3 files that it will recognize? I wouldn't be surprised if the phone 'hides' MP3 files it doesn't 'recognize' (according to those specs), or if it has problems with variable-bitrate MP3s.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand what the OP means when he says the mp3 "wont show". Where? In the music app?
    File explorer?

The simplest thing is to upload it here to the forum and get another set of eyes on it
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a sound file thats not an mp3 but named that by someone else.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for all replies.

No worries, listen too.

davexnet : I don't understand what the OP means when he says the mp3 "wont show".
    Showing that the mp3 is there on the phone.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote