VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. HI
    Im trying to deinterlace a DVD lossy using QTGMC hybrid.
    Could someone explain what are the best settings.
    Im trying to preserve as much quality as possible.
    I hope to upscale it and transfer to blu-ray
    Is the quality better from doubled framerate or not?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. QTGMC is usually not right for DVD. Film sources should be inverse telecined instead. You'll need to provide a sample.
    Quote Quote  
  3. DVD lossy
    You can just say DVD, the only thing on them that could be lossless is the audio
    Quote Quote  
  4. So you have a physical disc? And you want to burn another physical disc? What's the purpose of that? It will not look better. It would be better to buy an actual Blu-Ray version of the movie, if it exists.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The movies are old Anime, they will never make it to blu ray. Im transfering to blu-ray because once I upscale it will no longer fit on dvd.
    I heard QTGMC was the best, I've experimented and it looks the best compared to the rest. But I dont know what the best settings are. I don't fully undertand what everything does yet. All I want is to preserve my collection in the best possible quility. Keep overprocessing down. Have a clean progresive vision to upscale to 1080p.

Also does doubling the framerate improve the picture. It would be eaiser to transfer to blu-ray if I kept the framerate as is.

Thanks for the responce.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jedi55 View Post
    .... I don't fully undertand what everything does yet. All I want is to preserve my collection in the best possible quility ...
    Then leave as is, unless your source has specific flaws. Why the heck do people still blindly believe in "upscaling"?
    Anime can have their own specific issues. Provide a sample and you may get more help. The question about "best" is moot.
    Last edited by Sharc; 15th Apr 2022 at 05:31.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Anime should usually be inverse telecined to 24p (or 25p if PAL), not deinterlaced. And it can usually be upscaled in software with quite good results, better than any DVD/BD player or TV can upscale. Here are some examples:

https://github.com/xinntao/Real-ESRGAN/blob/master/docs/anime_model.md

Some of those samples are over processed in my opinion. But you can always process less if you want.

But you'll have to provide a sample for analysis. Include a medium speed panning shot a few seconds in length, along with some character animation shots. The panning shots are usually shot at 24p (it changes with each film frame), the character animation at 12p (it only changes every other film frame).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Wher would I post the clip? In what formate? Also while I appreciate your input if I want advice on upscaling why shouldn't i ask? Im sick at the moment the doctors are overwelmed it seems and I thought this project would be a good distraction. I don't want to sound rude, please don't take offence. I'm still learning and this forum is a great resource. It isn't just Anime, some movies too.

I've experimented with upscaling, to good results. But what spoils it is the interlace. QTGMC hybrid seems like good choice but I don't fully understand all the settings or which are best for my needs. Real-ESRGAN looks really good I'll look into it.

Any further help would be great. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jedi55 View Post
    Wher would I post the clip? In what formate?
    You can upload it here as an attachement by logging in, press the "Reply to Thread" button and then click on the "Attachments" icon. See the screenshot below. Then proceed with selecting the file and press "Upload", and wait until the upload is finished. Then press "Submit Reply".
    You should upload a snippet (few seconds duration) of your unmodified source file.

Also while I appreciate your input if I want advice on upscaling why shouldn't i ask?
    You are perfectly right, of course. Sorry if my reply was a bit snarky. No offense.

Im sick at the moment the doctors are overwelmed it seems and I thought this project would be a good distraction
    I hope you will recover soon.

I'm still learning
    Same here, and true for many of us.

It isn't just Anime, some movies too.
    My doubts about the usefulness of upscaling is mainly based on experience with "natural" video sources rather than anime. I stand corrected.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-04-16 120252.png
Views:	35
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	64339  

Last edited by Sharc; 16th Apr 2022 at 05:25. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  10. I apologize for my dismissive comments. I agree that bad deinterlacing is uncomfortable to watch. In fact, my Sony BD player has subpar deinterlacer, and I see combing on The Simpsons. But I am too lazy to do anything with the files, instead I use my older Oppo DVD player. I agree that if you fix bad deinterlacing on your movies, they will look much better.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I hope this helps. I used VirtualDub 2 its a Pal dvd. I did not seem to be able to trim it as VOB. But the interlace is very clear in VirtualDub 2.

Any help with deinterlacing in QTGMC hybrid would be great.

I'm aiming for as close to lossy as possible in the processing.

Help understanding the settings would go a long way.

x264 placebo bitrate (kbit/s) 20000 or more?

How am I doing?

No need to apologize I'm greatful for the help and distraction. Thank you for the kind words they mean alot.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  12. You're preparation of that sample with VirtualDub has messed up the video.

Try using AviDemux instead. Open one of your VOB files. Leave Video Output and Audio Output set to Copy. Change Output Format to Mpeg-PS Muxer (ff). Mark the section you want to export (mark-in with the A button, out with the B button) and File -> Save. That will create an MPG file with no changes to the video. Also, it's best if the sample comes from the body of the video rather than the title sequence. Because the titles are often treated differently than the main show.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Sorry for the delay health issues. Can't sit at computer for long periods.
    Thanks for the help hope works.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi
    I used the title sequence because it best shows the problem. I tried picking a scene with lots of movement but the title shows best because it streams slowly across the screen. But you know best. I am very grateful. This distraction really helps.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Maybe you can try something like
    Code:
    MPEG2Source("VTS_01_1.d2v")
    AssumeTFF()
    QTGMC(Preset="Fast")
    srestore(omode=6,frate=25.00)
    Far from perfect, but it removes many of the most ugly blends (but introduces more jerkyness instead ....)
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Sharc; 20th Apr 2022 at 04:38.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I think the frame rate should be 23.976. Otherwise, I think that QTGMC().SRestore() script is about as good as you can get.

Note that your video is an NTSC to PAL conversion with blended fields. But it has some additional blending which SRestore() can't get rid of. The settings used in QTGMC don't matter much in a case like this.
    Last edited by jagabo; 20th Apr 2022 at 09:56.
    Quote Quote