Page 5 of 8
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
    Here is release version 76.0.

Note:
    The latest code has introduced Qt5 incompatibility. Specifically this commit which uses Qt 6.5.0 to support dark mode functionality on Windows 11.
    https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/commit/611c900b2dd8f8e7ca9f800ae9fac37b78be887dL
    Qt5 does not recognize the references to Windows 11 and as a result the GUI fails to compile. The CLI programs are not affected. This release has that commit reversed. All other features and fixes are up to date.
    1) :goodpost: and THANKS! (again)

2) surely it is time for someone (not yourself, evidently) to create a NON-qt mkvtoolnix GUI for Windows...

the dot-NET fanboys should accept the challenge

But if the non-official GUI was written in Java 😈, it could be used by the Linux & Mac OS minorities as well 😏 😇
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks autodidact for the prompt delivery...

Tested the 32-bit version under Win7 on a Lenovo T530 notebook, it works fine, but the new qt version is a real step backwards. The settings window is hardly scalable vertically, the position sliders are poorly visible, overall it looks much worse than the previous version. This is nothing anyone can blame autodidact for, but the constant quest for newer and better is really backfiring here. After some serious testing I went back to the previous version 75.0.

I think that Mosu did a sloppy job with this release, hoping for future releases...

Cheers
    manolito
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I reversed one commit that was preventing compilation but it looks like this earlier commit began the transition to more fully rely on Qt6 for GUI cosmetics on Windows.

https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/commit/7f2e0378d855541f09d44cbfd2f97d2349b9cf18

That includes changing the style from "Windows Vista" to Qt's "Fusion" style. I don't think Mosu is concerned about how this affects Qt5 builds or behavior on Windows 7, unfortunately. It certainly lends weight to El Heggunte's argument.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
    Here is release version 76.0
    A bit late but again many thanks @autodidact
    Quote Quote  
  5. autodidact, can you please add or modify something in the version string to differentiate it from the one of the official release ? I would like to be able to check if a valid version for the current OS is installed from my program BD3D2MK3D, and currently, there is no easy way to do it. Thanks.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
    autodidact, can you please add or modify something in the version string to differentiate it from the one of the official release ?
    I would like to be able to check if a valid version for the current OS is installed from my program BD3D2MK3D, and currently, there is no easy way to do it.
    Thanks.
    Not sure if this is useful , but...

menu Help --> System information --> Qt

Non-official build says: "Version: 5.15.8".
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    autodidact, can you please add or modify something in the version string to differentiate it from the one of the official release ? I would like to be able to check if a valid version for the current OS is installed from my program BD3D2MK3D, and currently, there is no easy way to do it. Thanks.
    The Qt version would be the ideal way to differentiate between official and non-official. Depending on how you are comparing, that information may not be readily accessible. Adding NON-OFFICIAL to the version name could be a simple solution and doesn't trigger mismatch version warnings from the GUI:

Code:
    >mkvmerge.exe -V
    mkvmerge v76.0.34 ('Celebration NON-OFFICIAL') 64-bit
    If no objections are raised and if no better suggestion is offered, this could be implemented.
    Last edited by autodidact; 7th May 2023 at 23:08.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  8. @autodidact: It's OK for me. Thanks !

@El Heggunte: Thanks for your suggestion, but I need to check the version from the command line. autodidact's modification will be perfect.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    @autodidact: It's OK for me. Thanks !

@El Heggunte: Thanks for your suggestion, but I need to check the version from the command line.
    I DID NOT say and I DID NOT mean you should use mkvtoolnix-gui for checking which version of Qt was used by the compiler.⬇️
    Originally Posted by autodidact
    The Qt version would be the ideal way to differentiate between official and non-official.
    The problem of course is, professional computer programming REALLY makes people somewhat narrow-minded, sadly.😔
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 7th May 2023 at 08:11. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    I think that Mosu did a sloppy job with this release, hoping for future releases...
    Well, if anyone still had any doubts about Mosu becoming less of a Matroska developer and much-more of a Qt poster boy...

https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/wikis/Dark-mode-issues
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is release version 77.0.

Notes:
    Added 'NON-OFFICIAL' to the version name.

Changed the "Fusion" style back to the "windowsvista" style. The Dark Color Palette in Preferences will not work properly in this case. The executable from the alternative_GUI archive is built with the "Fusion" style and the Dark Color Palette works with it. This should be a one-time arrangement to determine the preferred style for next release.

The author has moved a qt_resources file out of the mkvtoolnix-gui executable and into the data folder. If you selectively extract from the release archive and intend to use the GUI, please make sure to select the data folder.
    Image Attached Files
    PB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Autodidact for this new version...

Works nicely, and the old Windows style looks SO much nicer than the latest and greatest "Fusion" style. Tested a couple of conversions (32-bit only), as usual they came out perfectly...

Cheers
    manolito
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for putting back the old style.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks @autodidact for the new builds
    Quote Quote  
  15. I just discovered this thread and wanted to thank autodidact for doing this. Thank you! Jumping from v68 to v77 makes my week.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @autodidact
    Is it possible to have a github of your modified version ? Or the source code ?

Edit:
    Or can you make a PR for the roll back of old style on the Windows7 branch here ?
    Last edited by jpsdr; 8th Jun 2023 at 13:16.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
    @autodidact
    Is it possible to have a github of your modified version ? Or the source code ?

Edit:
    Or can you make a PR for the roll back of old style on the Windows7 branch here ?
    Hi jpsdr. Nice to see you are building mkvtoolnix!

Since the last release I have discovered that you don't even have to change the source code to use the "windowsvista" style. You can set the QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE environment variable to "windowsvista" on your system and achieve the same result. This works on Linux and Windows, at least with Qt5 builds.

To build it as default, here is the very minor change to the source code at src/mkvtoolnix-gui/mkvtoolnix_gui.cpp line 52:

Code:
    QApplication::setStyle(Q("windowsvista"));
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, i've commited the modifications.
    How did you change the name with "non-official" ? I didn't find where it's hidden.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, i've commited the modifications.
    How did you change the name with "non-official" ? I didn't find where it's hidden.
    That is changed at src/common/version.cpp line 29:
    Code:
    constexpr auto VERSIONNAME = "Elemental NON-OFFICIAL";
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks for all of this, i'll try asap.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, i've build, everything is fine, Vista style and all, except... one very little thing.
    On my build, i don't have anymore the full version (77.0.12), just 77.0...

Usualy, i cloned the Mosu Gitlab repo, did the specific modifications "on the fly", build, and i had the total full version information. After, for next build, i either stash and pull, or delete and re-clone the whole directory. So, each time, i had to redo the specific modifications "on the fly". Even if very small, it was a little borring...
    As i'm not a Linux guy, i don't realy know how to manage git on Linux, it's a loooot easy for me under Windows with tortoise git and the tools i'm used to.

This is why i decided to create my own github, can manage it on my PC with Windows, and now, instead of cloning Mosu Gitlab, i clone my Github and switch to my specific branch.
    Everything worked fine except this little things of version. I expected the version in the gui being displayed at 77.0.12, but instead it says 77.0.

Not critical, but if someone has any idea why.
    My github, of course, i build the Windows7 branch.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not critical, but if someone has any idea why.
    Your repo doesn't seem to have the requisite revision information that the build files use to generate the version string. It falls back to the built-in version as you have seen.

For example, this is what I get from my clone of Mosu's repo:
    Code:
    >git describe
    release-77.0-19-g51f650418
    I guess you could force it by editing the version in the build-config file before compiling.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah... Does it mean that when i cloned his repo on my PC, i lost the tags ?
    Or when i pushed... ... ... F**k!!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot that i had to "PUSH TAGS" !
    Thanks...

EDIT
    Humm... I've redone the same thing, and now understand the message of Tortoise Git asking me if i want to disable TAG fetching on the new remote i created...
    Maybe i said "yes" last time... This can also explain...

EDIT2
    I think i've fixed, but i'll have a version number higher than Mosu, as it counts commit, so instead of 77.0.19 i have 77.0.26.
    Anyway, it's still better.
    Last edited by jpsdr; 15th Jun 2023 at 18:06.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is release version 78.0.
    Image Attached Files
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  25. Many thanks autodidact for this fast work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks @autodidact
    Quote Quote  
  27. Thanks @autodidact. You make my life better with your non-official releases.
    I would gladly buy you lunch, if you ever visited Greece!
    Quote Quote  
  28. Thank you @autodidact for compiling the new version and keeping mkvmerge up to date for older operating systems, it's appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by DigitalArchive View Post
    Thank you @autodidact for compiling the new version and keeping mkvmerge up to date for older operating systems, it's appreciated!
    +1. Thank you very much .
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is release version 79.0.
    Image Attached Files
    PB
    Quote Quote