+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the latest version.

Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    [EDIT] Just downloaded the package and running mkvtoolnix-gui.exe.
    How can it be that my preferences are already exactly like I set them in the installed version. Being a portable, does it "peek" somewhere?
    Unless you manually create a text-file named "mkvtoolnix-gui.INI", the program will look for its settings in Windows's Registry.
    Updating to latest version 70.0.0 caused losing all Preference settings. I noticed a mkvtoolnix-gui.ini file was auto-added in the installation folder at first time use.
    I suppose the new Win7 builds will not look for its settings in Windows's Registry anymore and I will have to keep that ini file?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    Updating to latest version 70.0.0 caused losing all Preference settings. I noticed a mkvtoolnix-gui.ini file was auto-added in the installation folder at first time use.
    I suppose the new Win7 builds will not look for its settings in Windows's Registry anymore and I will have to keep that ini file?
    Not sure whether there really is something new about the preferences and the .INI file...
    I only know that it's better ALWAYS use the MKVtoolnix archive(s) and NEVER use the installer...
    And before doing the manual upgrades, I always copy the .INI file to a backup-folder inside the MKVtoolnix directory,
    just in case something wrong happens.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The main settings store is %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\bunkus.org\mkvtoolnix-gui\mkvtoolnix-gui.ini and has user read/write permissions. That is probably where your previous settings are. If there is an .ini next to the executable, it probably preferentially reads from that file.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    So for us still using win7 what we must do so the latest version of this program still work at win7?
    From where we must download any new version of the program?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fits79 View Post
    So for us still using win7 what we must do so the latest version of this program still work at win7?
    From where we must download any new version of the program?
    The author of the program has chosen to drop support for older Windows versions. I am a user of such versions so it seems to me like there are three choices:

1. Continue to use the last official version from the author that works on your preferred operating system.
    2. Compile the author's code yourself with parameters that maintain compatibility with your preferred operating system.
    3. Make use of the download options presented in this thread which have already been compiled for use on your preferred operating system.
    Last edited by autodidact; 18th Aug 2022 at 02:25. Reason: Grammar
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The 2nd choice is easy?

If it doesn't I follow the third
    Last edited by fits79; 18th Aug 2022 at 06:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by autodidact View Post
    The main settings store is %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\bunkus.org\mkvtoolnix-gui\mkvtoolnix-gui.ini and has user read/write permissions. That is probably where your previous settings are. If there is an .ini next to the executable, it probably preferentially reads from that file.
    Indeed, this one holds my previous settings. Why it wasn't read and loaded at first start-up, is probably because I used the installer to update. Which - according to El Heggunte - isn't the best way.

Anyways, I copied the file next to the exe and my settings are back again. Will keep a back-up for future issues.

Thanks, guys.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for informing the uninfomed.

Mosu implemented the ".INI file" option for Windows some years ago because I pestered him 😇
    So I thought that the default behavior of storing the settings in the Registry had not been discarded, just like MPC-HC and MPC-BE do.
    Now it's evident that I was wrong. 😳
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The 2nd choice is easy?
    I think you will have to make that determination for yourself.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Mosu implemented the ".INI file" option for Windows some years ago because I pestered him 😇
    Thanks for doing that! I happen to like that feature.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is release version 71.0.0.
    Image Attached Files
    PB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks autodidact for prompt service, much appreciated...

Just noticed that Mosu made some last minute updateds after the initial release. Are those updates already part of your release?

Thanks again...
    Manolito
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Manolito.

Unfortunately the post 71.0.0 commits are not in the release I uploaded. If there is a general need/want for those recent commits I will make new compiles and modify the original post. Hopefully there will be some additional feedback on the matter that will help guide my decision.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks autodidact for the prompt reply

personally I do not think that I need this update, I leave this to other users.

Cheers
    manolito
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome! Thanks for this quick release, autodidact
    Quote Quote  
  16. many thanks autodidact!
    Quote Quote  
  17. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, many thanks for the new build.

Secondly:
    Hi Manolito.

Unfortunately the post 71.0.0 commits are not in the release I uploaded. If there is a general need/want for those recent commits I will make new compiles and modify the original post. Hopefully there will be some additional feedback on the matter that will help guide my decision.
    IMHO we all can wait until Mosu releases version 72.
    Below is a copy of his post @ Doom9 regarding the latest and minor ""fixes"" for the version 71 series:
    Code:
    Heyo.

I've just released a new minor update, v71.1.
    It solely fixes the "configure" script not having the correct requirements wrt. to libEBML & libMatroska.
    It also fixes several issues in the XML DTDs, but those aren't actually used in MKVToolNix itself.
    Functionality wise v71.1 is the same as v71.0.
    If you aren't a Linux package maintainer, feel free to skip this release.

<!-- SNIP -->

Here are the NEWS since the previous release:

Version 71.1.0 "Fortitude" 2022-10-09
    Bug fixes

Chapters DTD: added the new edition & chapter elements from Matroska v5.
        Chapters DTD: fixed EditionUID being mandatory. mkvmerge can auto-generate it if it's missing from the XML file.
        Chapters DTD: fixed the "example-chapters-1.xml" not validating against the DTD.
        Chapters DTD: corrected the old name "EditionManaged" to "EditionFlagOrdered".
        Chapters DTD: fixed "ChapLanguageIETF" missing its element declaration & "ChapterLanguage" being required.
        XML DTDs: fixed elements representing binary data not allowing the "format" attribute.

Build system changes

bug fix: configure accidentally tested for libEBML ≥ 2.0.0 & libMatroska ≥ 2.0.0,
    even though the actual requirements are 1.4.4 & 1.7.1 respectively.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, we'll let the 71 release stand as-is.

Thank you all for your responses!
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM

Is there an easy way to make compatible with win7 the latest version of mkvtoolnix?

And why the creator of this program stop support win7?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM

Is there an easy way to make compatible with win7 the latest version of mkvtoolnix?

And why the creator of this program stop support win7?
    The answers to your questions have been covered in this thread already. Maybe I am misunderstanding your questions?

The author of mkvtoolnix uses qt to develop the software and recently moved from version 5 which is compatible with Windows 7, to version 6 which is not.
    The ONLY way to make the latest versions compatible with Windows 7 is to compile the code yourself with version 5. At least as long as the rest of the code base remains compatible.

As for why, only the author can answer fundamentally. Technically it is because the latest qt version becomes the focal point of development and concern for compatibility with legacy operating systems is non-existent.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    The procedure to make the latest mkvtoolnix version compatible with win7 is it hard?
    Can you teach us so we can do this on my owns?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The procedure to make the latest mkvtoolnix version compatible with win7 is it hard?
    Can you teach us so we can do this on my owns?
    You may not find it hard if you have:
    1. Some general experience with compiling code.
    2. Access to, and familiarity with Linux.

Get started by installing the necessary dependencies in your Linux build environment. Dependencies listed here:
    https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix#2-installation

Then follow the specific instructions for the Windows build, which can be found here:
    https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolnix/-/blob/main/Building.for.Windows.md

This is the same procedure used by the official release except you have control over which qt version is used during compilation.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    Unfortunatelly i don't any knowledge about compiling code any knowledge at all.
    Isn't there any automatic procedure to do and make the latest version of mkvtoolnix win7 compatible??????
    And i don't have linux to only win7.

And if isn't there any easy way to make my own any latest mkvtoolnix win7 compatible is there any site/link that i can download the latest mkvtoolnix version win7 compatible compiled?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is no automatic procedure.

There are several builds posted in this thread that have been compiled for compatibility with Windows 7 that you can download.
    How latest do you require? Post #71 above has version 71.0.0. Click on one of the attached files to download.

If you have other requirements than what has been provided you can certainly make a request.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    The latest version is 71.1.0

So there isn't any site I can download the latest version every time that it is compatible with win7???
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know of any other site that has Windows 7 compatible builds.
    Last edited by autodidact; 31st Oct 2022 at 19:41.
    PB
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    If you know or find any site that has released any new version of mkvtoolnix compatible with win.Please inform us
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is release version 72.0.0.
    Image Attached Files
    PB
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks very much for the prompt update, much appreciated

Cheers
    manolito
    Quote Quote