VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All..

I have an aging PC with Blu-ray writer that is at least 10+ years old (Pioneer BDR-203BK). The rest of the rig is about 5+ years old (Win10 x64/Asus Prime Z270-AR/Intel i7-7700K/16GB RAM/GTX1060 6GB/ample SSD/HDD).
    Recently purchased Matrix Resurrections Ultra HD 4K + Blu-ray.. attempting to rip the special features from the Blu-ray disc only is proving difficult as I cant get the drive to recognise the disc!?. it just spins & attempts for a minute or so & then gives up.. I've updated the motherboard firmware, writer firmware to the last avail release. Installed PowerDVD, DVDFab though no luck. I've been out the ripping/converting game for awhile so I have no idea if my hardware/writer will successfully play the content, yet alone rip it with the right software/drivers etc.

Any suggestions or is a new Blu-ray writer my only solution?

Cheers in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try with makemkv
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If makemkv doesn't work then a new blu-ray writer would be your best option.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your pc is fine, it's just your Pioneer BDR-203BK is not capable of ripping UHDBD. Note that not all UHD drives even are. To avoid purchase disappointment, I recommend reading up on UHDBD-ripping capable drives: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=62bfd44106bccb9d7fe2dff830cea801
    Better safe than sorry.

I've always loved the quality of Pioneer drives. I purchased one that rips UHDBD out of the box, no special firmware required.
    Quote Quote