VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/405370-Trying-to-capture-DVI-out-from-a-1280x1024p...a-Magewell-USB

please reply in the Newb thread above - I am cross-posting in the Capture forum, didn't know there was one....

First post newbie here....

I have a circa 2008 thermal camera manufactured by L3 (actually, thermal with Image Intensifier, digitally fused). The goal is to be able to record the digital video, ideally using portable battery-powered hardware.

The thermal camera has a wonky proprietary port for video out, and can allegedly output "DVI" and "NTSC" video formats. It came with a cord that converts to female DVI-I port, but I don't think there is any analog on it.

If I hook the thermal camera up to a DVI computer monitor (such as Dell S2309W) with a DVI-D single link cable, it recognizes the video as 1280x1024p60.

If I hook the thermal camera up to an HDMI computer monitor (Samsung) via a bidirectional DVI to HDMI cable or dongle, the monitor recognizes the video as 1280x1024p60 with 64.0kHz horizontal sync rate.

I have an Atomos Ninja V that does not recognize the HDMI stream. I recently acquired a Magewell USB Capture HDMI 4K Plus. Although it lists 1280x1024 as an accepted HDMI format, it is not able to identify the video output or lock on it.

There is a place to edit EDID values, front porch, etc. as well as the precise frame rate. I have tried most of the common ones for 1280x1024p60 VESA.

Any idea how to get more diagnostic info off the DVI video, and/or figure out a way to grab the video?