VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    [Attachment 64197 - Click to enlarge]

Hello dears, this D-Vhs JVC-HM-DH3000U VCR is great, even though in a post i made here, I still haven't managed to solve the problem of the DV / I-link / Firewire output. So, one of them works normal running the tapes but in the other 98% of the tapes that I put the video on the screen is like this showing the mp4 file I sent.

Any solution of what it could be?

I'm thinking of selling it. How much would it be with this problem?
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Caius; 23rd Apr 2022 at 10:09.
    Quote Quote  
  2. My guess: problem with the video heads or perhaps problem with the tension of the tape:
    check this video, the guy modify tape path alignment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyUY7cFP9zw&ab_channel=12voltvids
    Last edited by themaster1; 18th Apr 2022 at 08:41.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    That's lack of sync pulse signal, Possible causes dirty sync pulse head (AC head), dirty, unseated or corroded AC head ribbon cable, failed component in the AC head preamp.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    That's lack of sync pulse signal, Possible causes dirty sync pulse head (AC head), dirty, unseated or corroded AC head ribbon cable, failed component in the AC head preamp.

Is there anything I, me poor mortal in the VCR field can do? I've already cleaned several but they were all common VCRs. As I know this one is more sophisticated, I don't dare make a move unless someone gives me the coordinates.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    My guess: problem with the video heads or perhaps problem with the tension of the tape:
    check this video, the guy modify tape path alignment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyUY7cFP9zw&ab_channel=12voltvids
    I wish i can do this, but im super affraid to do it because i did that in somes of my VCRs and i messed it up
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    See the picture, Not the same VCR but similar layout:

[Attachment 64403 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    See the picture, Not the same VCR but similar layout:

[Attachment 64403 - Click to enlarge]

I will
    Quote Quote  
  8. Caius, check this other video (and get your hands dirty a little, i'm sure it'll pay) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fazLIPQqKLk&ab_channel=12voltvids
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Hello friends. I handled with the Dvhs roller guides.

The first video shows how the video is running, without i ever having touched the roller guides.

The photo shows the movement I made holding it with my fingers. Like, I rotated it an inch or two to the left (3 times I did).

The second video shows how it turned out afterwards. I almost got it, almost normal.

Then I made a few more small rotating movements with the left guide and other small movements with the

right guide. It got worse! Then, I tried to go back to what I had achieved, but it didn't work, I gave up. And it

is now as shown in the third video.

It seems that the secret is in these guides, but I really don't know how to move. Anyone who can help me

with any advice, let me know. And yes, I've seen the youtube videos posted here, but I'm not good at it.

[Attachment 64502 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. U shouldn't touch these because there are gears below so good luck now ! Someone else help him. But i guess if u take apart the whole metallic plateau from the mainboard (i know it can be done) then check the gears for no broken teeth and oiled good (u may have to clean old oil first), change belts aswell.

edit: (assuming you didn't do much damage)
    check this other video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyUY7cFP9zw&ab_channel=12voltvids
    Last edited by themaster1; 23rd Apr 2022 at 14:21.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Caius View Post
    Then I made a few more small rotating movements with the left guide and other small movements with the

right guide. It got worse! Then, I tried to go back to what I had achieved, but it didn't work, I gave up. And it

It seems that the secret is in these guides, but I really don't know how to move. Anyone who can help me
    I explained to you clearly what you need to do with a picture so language will not be a barrier but you decided to listen to the wrong advice screwing the P guides, your problem was and still is capstan tracking not head alignment, Now you lost the factory alignment for a dumb advice, You need an alignment tape and an oscilloscope to get back to factory setting, and then tackle the tracking problem at hand, DON'T EVER LISTEN TO ANYONE'S ADVICE BLINDLY WITHOUT DOUBLE AND TRIPLE CHECKING IF IT IS A GOOD ADVISE OR NOT. If you asked first before making this fatal mistake I could have warned you in advance, it's too late now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM

I explained to you clearly what you need to do with a picture so language will not be a barrier but you decided to listen to the wrong advice screwing the P guides, your problem was and still is capstan tracking not head alignment, Now you lost the factory alignment for a dumb advice, You need an alignment tape and an oscilloscope to get back to factory setting, and then tackle the tracking problem at hand, DON'T EVER LISTEN TO ANYONE'S ADVICE BLINDLY WITHOUT DOUBLE AND TRIPLE CHECKING IF IT IS A GOOD ADVISE OR NOT. If you asked first before making this fatal mistake I could have warned you in advance, it's too late now.

Man, i did all you wrote here, checked it all like you said and I almost got it fixed when I moved the guides and I didn't fiddle with the guides much, so the problem is there. I stopped fiddling and I'm going to look for someone to line up again. Remembering that I have one just like it, and the technician can base himself on it.
    Last edited by Caius; 23rd Apr 2022 at 23:19.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    When you do one step, report back here with results before you go further and do more damage without asking. Now ask the person who suggested to screw up the P guides to help you get it back to original condition.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    When you do one step, report back here with results before you go further and do more damage without asking. Now ask the person who suggested to screw up the P guides to help you get it back to original condition.
    Who is him? Your friend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I saw this train-wreck-from-start-to-finish coming and have elected to stay out of it, but wow! Sarcastic responses to a dressing down does nothing to improve your relationship with those attempting to help you, and just make you appear immature.

Good luck, you need it.

One more thing: repair shops with electronics engineers exist for a reason. They have knowledge, skill, tools, and the official blessing (in the form of certifications and licensing) of the manufacturers to be able to successfully work on their stuff.
    You need to make use of them if you want to recover from this flubb and restore the viability of this machine.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Caius View Post

Man, i did all you wrote here, checked it all like you said and I almost got it fixed when I moved the guides and I didn't fiddle with the guides much, so the problem is there. I stopped fiddling and I'm going to look for someone to line up again. Remembering that I have one just like it, and the technician can base himself on it.
    It's not that hard i just fixed my old vcr today, i thought i couldn't. The trick is to work with EP tape first (easier to observe wrong doings on screen) and also work with a CRT TV (though i did work with an LCD tv) then with a tape that has linear audio and then hi-fi and finally with and S-vhs. You may have it right for all vhs, yet s-vhs may require some more fine adjustement (it did for me, on the P3 guide slightly). Every ajustement you make on the P2(left) / P3 (right)guide has an effect . Remember P2 guide has an effect on the top screen, P3 bottom
    Last edited by themaster1; 4th May 2022 at 06:37.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search PM

It's not that hard i just fixed my old vcr today, i thought i couldn't. The trick is to work with EP tape first (easier to observe wrong doings on screen) and also work with a CRT TV (though i did work with an LCD tv) then with a tape that has linear audio and then hi-fi and finally with and S-vhs. You may have it right for all vhs, yet s-vhs may require some more fine adjustement (it did for me, on the P3 guide slightly). Every ajustement you make on the P2(left) / P3 (right)guide has an effect . Remember P2 guide has an effect on the top screen, P3 bottom

I have another one just like it, I'll try to measure the height of the guides, maybe I can adjust it myself based on the other one that is normal.
    [Attachment 64651 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  18. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    No it doesn't work that way, you will need to adjust with the tape is playing back.
    Quote Quote  
  19. If that can help, see below:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	reel-guide.png
Views:	31
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	64891  

Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM
    So, VCR folks. Yesterday I played with this d-vhs again, that one which has the problem of tape oscillation.

I remember the answers that each one gave me to try to solve, I ended up messing with the guides and it didn't solve, as I had made notes of the movements I made in these guides, I returned them to the ''original'' places. Even knowing that after messing it up it couldn't work.

But look what I found!! In the photo I marked the places where I applied some downward pressure with my hands.

[Attachment 65465 - Click to enlarge]

What happened??? Something snapped, as if it snapped back into place.

That was the problem!! The box that holds the tape was, somewhere underneath, out of place.

When I did the pressure with my hands, it went down a few cms and snapped back in somewhere.
    What a bad luck! I was supposed to do just that! Now the oscillation has stopped, but as I've fiddled with the guides, it's not 100%.

I don't know what happened to it, with the previous owner who was a European guy from Portugal.

But why you guys, VCRs felas, didn't give me this tip before!!!?? Why!!!!????? Why!!!????
    Huh! dellsam34!!

Well, I upload two videos. One with a super vhs tape running and the other with a vhs. If I hadn't messed with the guides, everything would be 100%.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  21. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    How am I suppose to know that with no information given? In post 13 I told to check one thing at a time and report back, If you followed my advice you would have never miss aligned the VCR.
    By the way the tape stabilizer is missing the metal disc, it's on the left side of the drum. See when you post a video we find problems.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search PM
    How am I suppose to know that with no information given? In post 13 I told to check one thing at a time and report back, If you followed my advice you would have never miss aligned the VCR.
    By the way the tape stabilizer is missing the metal disc, it's on the left side of the drum. See when you post a video we find problems.

The metal disk I took out, because I intended to fiddle with the guides again while running a tape with this tool
    [Attachment 65468 - Click to enlarge]

but I didn't, after I saw that the mechanism clicked into place.

And I don't think I'm going to mess with these guides anymore. I'll try to sell it like this and explain the details to anyone who wants to buy.
    Last edited by Caius; 18th Jun 2022 at 06:37.
    Quote Quote  
  23. it's like i said in another thread start with a vhs EP tape and work your way up: vhs ep> vhs normal > vhs hi-fi (check sound quality)> s-vhs hi-fi. Disable auto-tracking when you do that (copy mode). See post #19 for proper reel tape alignment with the guide (especially the entry guide imo)

It did work for me it should work for you

the bottom picture = exist guide ( guide on the right)
    upper picture = entry guide (guide on the left)

last note: if i judge your last videos right, focus on the exit guide first (gut feeling), and very gentle adjustments (2-3mm perhaps from initial position)
    Last edited by themaster1; 18th Jun 2022 at 08:59.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search PM
    it's like i said in another thread start with a vhs EP tape and work your way up: vhs ep> vhs normal > vhs hi-fi (check sound quality)> s-vhs hi-fi. Disable auto-tracking when you do that (copy mode). See post #19 for proper reel tape alignment with the guide (especially the entry guide imo)

It did work for me it should work for you

the bottom picture = exist guide ( guide on the right)
    upper picture = entry guide (guide on the left)

last note: if i judge your last videos right, focus on the exit guide first (gut feeling), and very gentle adjustments (2-3mm perhaps from initial position)

Thanks, i guess i will try this for last try.
    Quote Quote  
  25. i have replaced capacitors on power supply for this player , connected back up no actual power on , like it was before when i removed the power supply
    only hear the fan , i don't see any display screen powering up in idle mode and of course the power switch on not functioning

i think i may have missed a step or the ribbon track cables are ( one is sort of bothering me ) its small cable near to the front of the power supply and cable goes behind the front panel of the player
    Quote Quote  
  26. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Start your own thread with a brief description of the problem and some info about the machine.
    Quote Quote