VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I have the UHD and BD versions of Bladerunner 2049.
    The UHD of course has 2160P and HDR, and the BD has Auro-3D (it's from Poland)
    So, I wonder how difficult it would be to make a working 2160P HDR version with the Auro-3D audio track?

I don't know if my player (Panasonic DP-UB9000) will play an ISO or BDMV off of a USB drive or network (I am going to test), so the result might have to be on a burned disc.

I don't have to have menus; it is OK if it just plays. But I am wondering if I just "swapped" out one track for another, if I could just replace the existing track on the UHD and the menus still work, just now I get the Auro-3D version.

Would appreciate it if anyone who may have achieved something similar could chime in.

I will have to buy a drive that can read, rip, and write UHD disks, working on that.

Thanks much

-JCL
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm not a professional, but in order to do that you would first need to remux both Blu-ray's onto your PC. Pretty sure the MakeMKV will do the job.

Then put both files (not in the same time) into the MediaInfo, and send the results. Mediainfo displays all the metadata the video has. All when you click the ">>" button, then select "text" in the drop-down menu.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok seems like you know about MakeMKV judging by you 10 year old forum post. In that case, just skip the first paragraph of my previous post
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jcl_vh View Post
    Hello, I have the UHD and BD versions of Bladerunner 2049.
    The UHD of course has 2160P and HDR, and the BD has Auro-3D (it's from Poland)
    So, I wonder how difficult it would be to make a working 2160P HDR version with the Auro-3D audio track?

I don't know if my player (Panasonic DP-UB9000) will play an ISO or BDMV off of a USB drive or network (I am going to test), so the result might have to be on a burned disc.

I don't have to have menus; it is OK if it just plays. But I am wondering if I just "swapped" out one track for another, if I could just replace the existing track on the UHD and the menus still work, just now I get the Auro-3D version.

Would appreciate it if anyone who may have achieved something similar could chime in.

I will have to buy a drive that can read, rip, and write UHD disks, working on that.

Thanks much

-JCL
    Swapping one track for another won't produce a satisfactory result unless the two versions of the movie are edited exactly the same way with identical run times. You would probably be better off creating a file containing the main movie instead of trying to create a UHD disc ISO.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by s-mp View Post
    Ok seems like you know about MakeMKV judging by you 10 year old forum post. In that case, just skip the first paragraph of my previous post
    Yes, am familiar with MakeMKV, just not sure what to do after that.

-JCL
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Swapping one track for another won't produce a satisfactory result unless the two versions of the movie are edited exactly the same way with identical run times. You would probably be better off creating a file containing the main movie instead of trying to create a UHD disc ISO.
    It's a fair point, this is the regular BD and UHD in the same set, so I am hoping they are the same cut so that it would line up.

I purchased an external USB 3.1 enclosure for one of my NVMe SSDs, and I was successful testing my BD player playing back both single files and BDROM folders (haven't tried ISOs yet). So, in theory, I would not have to burn anything to disk. I am also going to see if I can do this over the network as well.

I do have what appears to be a "UHD friendly" drive, but I am going to look into buying a new drive that can rip fast as well as support playback if I want. I can use it in my HTPC for my new theater anyways.

So, once I rip them both, I can see if the soundtracks will line up and then maybe see if this could work.

-JCL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TBH I don't have experience with lining up Auro 3D. For general audio swap between videos, it is not necessary to have exact same runtimes. Or even framerates. Important is to determine that exact same versions are present. If Auro 3D can be remuxed applying a positive or negative delay, my guess is it can be lined up to video (with same framerate of course).
    When different video framerates are in play and without breaking audioformat, you can consider rewriting video timestamps to sync video- and audio speeds. I've done this a lot for 24 <--> 24000/1001 fps.
    How your UHDBD player behaves on this content, is another matter of course. For pc and mediaplayers it usually is no problem.

What I'm wondering is, doesn't your UHDBD copy carry an Atmos track?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    TBH I don't have experience with lining up Auro 3D. For general audio swap between videos, it is not necessary to have exact same runtimes. Or even framerates. Important is to determine that exact same versions are present. If Auro 3D can be remuxed applying a positive or negative delay, my guess is it can be lined up to video (with same framerate of course).
    The Auro 3D track is contained within I think the DTS track, I would have to bring up the info on my player to be sure. Once it is ripped, I would be curious to see if it actually recognized something called "Auro 3D", or if I would just match up the track that contains it.

Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    When different video framerates are in play and without breaking audioformat, you can consider rewriting video timestamps to sync video- and audio speeds. I've done this a lot for 24 <--> 24000/1001 fps.
    So, what software do you use for that when you have done it?

How your UHDBD player behaves on this content, is another matter of course. For pc and mediaplayers it usually is no problem.
    Indeed, but the fact that it happily played a ripped folder off of a USB drive is encouraging.

What I'm wondering is, doesn't your UHDBD copy carry an Atmos track?
    Yes, I believe it is Atmos. Atmos is "OK" I guess, Auro 3D is quite a bit better. What is really interesting is that Auro 3D plays back Atmos better than native Atmos does. That is subjective of course, and maybe greatly depends on what your setup is. The theater I am building is being made for Atmos. I have a friend with a similar setup, we did A and B between the two, Auro 3D was the definite winner. But a suppose to be really fair, you would need to compare it to something purpose built for Atmos, or at least something like a Trinnov that can do them all almost independent of setup.

This is what I am sort of getting at though, deciding how much it is worth doing. It appears I will need a new BD drive to rip it, not worth it for one title, but I guess if I start ripping _everything_ to a server, then maybe. Need to test that first with my UHDBD player (Panasonic dp-ub9000) to see if it would even work. I will probably have a HTPC/streamer or something similar regardless, but it will probably be a trade-off as I don't know of a another setup that would be able to match the Panasonic + Lumagen. So have to see what happens when I try it.

-JCL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Auro 3D within a DTS track sounds weird, I must say. I have no disc with Auro 3D (I think) so I can't rip & see for myself. I'm curious how it shows in MediaInfo.

what software do you use for that when you have done it?
    For AVC streams I use eac3to. For HEVC streams ffmpeg.

What is really interesting is that Auro 3D plays back Atmos better than native Atmos does.
    I don't think I understand. Do you mean to say that a Auro 3D decoder can handle Dolby Atmos audio too?

BTW should you go buy a new drive for ripping you may want to check the forums at MakeMKV which ones are able to properly handle 4K blu-ray.
    Quote Quote