VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. The 24" LG is looking pretty good to me.

I also have to get a Calibrite calibrator.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Chris
    I can only say what I have and totally happy with.

As for monitor calibration I used to have a colour munki by x-rite and a complete waste of time. Why? because you have to keep recalibration to match the ambient light. You would have to calibrate for daylight then again at night with a light on and then again for next day etc

been there done it and chucked away don't bother so bear this in mind before purchase. Just trying to save you a bit of money

Bit about myself photographic wise that is. So made some terrible errors in a long learning curve and still do and never stop learning

After many years doing hobby photography starting with a Kodak brownie 127 - Voightlander Vito CL -Nikon D70s - D200-D300- D800 -D810 cameras not forgetting a Nikon L26 and and a Panasonic DC -TZ95 compact cameras
    in video starting with a Samsung Video8 tape recorder - Panasonic HC-X900m- Sony ax53 and now the panasonic HC -X1500.

So if I can give any help etc
    Last edited by realspeed; 22nd Sep 2022 at 11:36.
    Quote Quote  
  3. As for monitor calibration I used to have a colour munki by x-rite and a complete waste of time. Why? because you have to keep recalibration to match the ambient light. You would have to calibrate for daylight then again at night with a light on and then again for next day etc

been there done it and chucked away don't bother so bear this in mind before purchase. Just trying to save you a bit of money
    Monitor calibration is necessary to get the color temperature to 6500 K.

HLG is pretty definite about display intensity. For instance, "reference white" is 75 IRE units and is supposed to give 721 nits off the screen.
    Quote Quote  
  4. if that is want you want ok but maybe your digging a little to deep into the technical side? I don't know of course. All will say is my dell monitor shows me the colours which look as close as the subjects I video. If you saw on my screen you would no doubt agree. If going down the broadcast or Youtube route then there is going to be slight degregation anyway in picture quality.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In broadcasting "looks good on my monitor" doesn't cut it. It has to look good on millions of monitors. That's why there are standards. Have a look at the specs for BT.709 or BT.2020. Lots of fun math which is way over my head.

In HDR (High Dynamic Range) video they are quite particular about the video levels coming out of the camera.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Other monitors may be calibrated differently
    Quote Quote