VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am tryikng to hook up my DVD recorder, Sony RDR-HXD710 to a new Smart HDTV. The trouble is, the TV being brand new only has HDMI inputs; my recorder being as old as the hills has every sort of output except HDMI - namely component, composite, S-video, SCART, optical and coaxial. So I needed a converter. Decided to try a component to HDMI converter to achieve the best quality and purchased a Newcare Component to HDMI converter. By this means I was able to view live TV, DVDs and videos on the recorder's hard disk, using the play/pause etc buttons on my remote control. But here's the really weird bit - I cannot display the text pages from my recorder (systems menu, contents list, EPG) on my TV - I just get an error message. So I am unable to usefully control the functions on my recorder, including the contents of the hard disk.

Am I likely to have any better luck with using an appropriate adapter to take output from composite, S-video, optical or SCART and convert it to HDMI?

I am not really into the technology, so please keep your answers as simple as possible!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Oliver D View Post
    I am tryikng to hook up my DVD recorder, Sony RDR-HXD710 to a new Smart HDTV. The trouble is, the TV being brand new only has HDMI inputs; my recorder being as old as the hills has every sort of output except HDMI - namely component, composite, S-video, SCART, optical and coaxial. So I needed a converter. Decided to try a component to HDMI converter to achieve the best quality and purchased a Newcare Component to HDMI converter. By this means I was able to view live TV, DVDs and videos on the recorder's hard disk, using the play/pause etc buttons on my remote control. But here's the really weird bit - I cannot display the text pages from my recorder (systems menu, contents list, EPG) on my TV - I just get an error message. So I am unable to usefully control the functions on my recorder, including the contents of the hard disk.

Am I likely to have any better luck with using an appropriate adapter to take output from composite, S-video, optical or SCART and convert it to HDMI?

I am not really into the technology, so please keep your answers as simple as possible!
    What is the make and model of the smart TV? I'd like to make sure that there is not a small port on the TV that accepts a breakout cable providing composite video and stereo audio connections. The breakout cable is often not included in the box with the TV and must be purchased separately.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks usually_quiet. Panic over! I tried out a composite AV to HDMI converter and it works just fine! Quite why the Component to HDMI converter played up the way it did despite it being the more advanced technology will no doubt remain a mystery for ever - it's the second such converter I have tried and both failed to satisfy. And in answer to your question - my TV is an LG, model 43UP81006LR but no, I couldn't find any secret ports.
    Quote Quote  
  4. it looks like a headphone jack
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Oliver D View Post
    Thanks usually_quiet. Panic over! I tried out a composite AV to HDMI converter and it works just fine! Quite why the Component to HDMI converter played up the way it did despite it being the more advanced technology will no doubt remain a mystery for ever - it's the second such converter I have tried and both failed to satisfy. And in answer to your question - my TV is an LG, model 43UP81006LR but no, I couldn't find any secret ports.
    There are different types on "component". I will get the terms completely wrong and I am already ducking the hawks of technology correctness but I think there is something like more than one type of RGB signal.
    I have TV with VGA in BUT it accepts RGB aka component signals. I had to be careful which adapter I got to make it work with my DVD player. Many users though said the adaptoer didn't work but mine does,
    I am probably confusing things... I have 2 teenagers who are always telling me I am wrong!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Oliver D View Post
    I have seen some 2021 4K TVs from big-name companies that do have a set of analog AV ports or a port for a breakout cable that provides them so I looked at the webpage for your TV on LG's website to be certain there were none. However, you are correct. There were no analog AV ports listed for your TV.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 1st Apr 2022 at 19:24. Reason: typo
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote