VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've been copying my VHS tapes (via a Panasonic NV-SJ220) onto DVD using an LG DVD Recorder (RHT599H) and everything was fine until today. Now I have sound but no Picture from the VHS player and I'm not sure where the problem is but I think the issue is a setting on either the VHS player or the DVD recorder causing the signal to get confused as to which direction it should be going in. My alternative theory is just that the head has gone on the VHS player despite trying a clean.

My standard set up is VHS player with scart lead (I'm using the left scart socket but no difference if I use the right scart socket). This goes into a 3 way scart adaptor (brand- Tevion) which allows me to choose which input I want to use out of VHS player, Cable TV and one spare socket. I select the Tevion input with the scart for the VHS and the master scart lead from the Tevion adaptor then goes into my DVD recorder. The DVD recorder is linked to my TV via HDMI lead. The TV has no input from freeview etc other than from the DVD player.

I am pretty sure that all the components are fine as the cable TV to Tevion to DVD recorder to TV works fine. I have also tried cutting out the Tevion and plugging the VHS scart lead direct into the DVD player and tried this on AV1 and AV2 on the DVD recorder (as well as trying both scart sockets on the VHS player). Also tried different scart cables as well as trying the VHS scart in different sockets on the Tevion- so one socket works for cable TV but not for VHS (other than sound).

So my question is could there be something on the settings of my VHS player or on the LG DVD recorder (or even the TV HDMI lead) that have got mixed up (perhaps in the sense that that DVD recorder or TV is trying to send a signal to the VHS player and vice versa). This would be something someone would have accidentally pressed on the remotes between now and a couple of days ago when it worked fine. Or is it simply likely to be a faulty VHS player head that is no longer reading the video but is still reading the sound?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The standard diagnosis is to eliminate one item at a time.

Firstly, ensure that your scart from the VHS is in the output connector since one, typically, is for input and one for output (can not guarantee that all pins are connected on both connectors)

So you plug the VHS direct to the TV and set the input on the VHS accordingly. If no picture but you have sound it is more likely that a pin on the VCR has failed.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the tip- hadn't considered that as wasn't aware there was a scart link on my TV but I did find it. Sadly I'm no further forward as I can't get either picture or sound this way (still get sound the other way) which makes me wonder if I am even doing the connection right but it seems pretty straightforward- ext socket on the TV, switch TV to ext and plug in the scart and try this in both scart sockets on the VHS.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by richardbajor View Post
    Thanks for the tip- hadn't considered that as wasn't aware there was a scart link on my TV but I did find it. Sadly I'm no further forward as I can't get either picture or sound this way (still get sound the other way) which makes me wonder if I am even doing the connection right but it seems pretty straightforward- ext socket on the TV, switch TV to ext and plug in the scart and try this in both scart sockets on the VHS.
    try unplugging your DVD recorder and let it sit for a few minutes and then see if you can get a picture.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the replies- it looks like the problem was the VHS player (and some evidence also that it was the pin as there was a gap where one should be. Have a new VHS player and it is working fine now.
    Quote Quote