VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My laptop is currently out of commission due to power and screen problems but still want to edit, upscale and upload videos. As a result, I am currently using a Chromebook that I got as a gift. I used to use things like Virtualdub2, FFMPEG, MeGUi, PowerDirector, etc. to make my videos better but with my laptop being broken as it is, I need something that can work on Chromebook. Does anyone know of any video editing software that can work on Chrome OS? I am not looking for something to advanced, jus tosmehtat can work on this Chromebook. Here are the specs:

HP Chromebook x360
    Intel Celeron N4020 Dual Core Processor
    14'' HD micro edge display
    4GB DDR4 system memory
    64 GB eMMC storage.

I could try to use my library computers but I am not sure if they have video editing software.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
    My laptop is currently out of commission due to power and screen problems but still want to edit, upscale and upload videos. As a result, I am currently using a Chromebook that I got as a gift. I used to use things like Virtualdub2, FFMPEG, MeGUi, PowerDirector, etc. to make my videos better but with my laptop being broken as it is, I need something that can work on Chromebook. Does anyone know of any video editing software that can work on Chrome OS? I am not looking for something to advanced, jus tosmehtat can work on this Chromebook. Here are the specs:

HP Chromebook x360
    4GB DDR4 system memory
    64 GB eMMC storage.

I could try to use my library computers but I am not sure if they have video editing software.
    see here - https://www.laptopmag.com/best-picks/chromebook-video-editing-apps
    Quote Quote  
  3. Install a Windows 10 VM and enjoy the whole Windows World.
    https://beebom.com/install-windows-10-chromebook/
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have never found a really good video editor application that can be used on Chrome.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is ChromeOS capable of running a WINE variant? I know VirtualDub works under WINE...

(I've always thought ChromeOS was mostly a form of Linux under the hood.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post

HP Chromebook x360
    4GB DDR4 system memory
    64 GB eMMC storage.

see here - https://www.laptopmag.com/best-picks/chromebook-video-editing-apps
    I will take a look at those. Thanks.

Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Install a Windows 10 VM and enjoy the whole Windows World.
    https://beebom.com/install-windows-10-chromebook/
    I had no idea that you can install a VM in Chromebook. I thought that ChromeOS is different from Windows that you cannot install Windows apps on it.

Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    Is ChromeOS capable of running a WINE variant? I know VirtualDub works under WINE...

(I've always thought ChromeOS was mostly a form of Linux under the hood.)
    '
    I am not sure if I used Linux outside so this might be a first for me.

Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    I have never found a really good video editor application that can be used on Chrome.
    I thought there would be some for Android at least.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Hate to say it, but my experience has been that most ChromeOS machines are somewhere between mildly to seriously underpowered. NOT the kind of machine you want doing video editing, and ESPECIALLY NOT the kind of one that would have such an app inside a VM. Performance will be vastly degraded from what you would expect natively in Win10.

ChromeOS is a form/variant of linux, but it is a very special, closed-environment version. As closed/self-contained/constrained as Android is (if not more so) compared to your general Linux distros. So it isn't simple plug-n-play when it comes to apps or drivers from the overall Linux-verse. ChromeOS is branded as a "lightweight" OS for a reason.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
    I had no idea that you can install a VM in Chromebook. I thought that ChromeOS is different from Windows that you cannot install Windows apps on it.
    The whole point of a virtual machine is to run other operating systems and software for those operating systems -- within another operating system. But getting a VM to run Win10 on your Chromebook will be nearly impossible. It doesn't have enough memory or storage.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Hate to say it, but my experience has been that most ChromeOS machines are somewhere between mildly to seriously underpowered. NOT the kind of machine you want doing video editing, and ESPECIALLY NOT the kind of one that would have such an app inside a VM. Performance will be vastly degraded from what you would expect natively in Win10.

ChromeOS is a form/variant of linux, but it is a very special, closed-environment version. As closed/self-contained/constrained as Android is (if not more so) compared to your general Linux distros. So it isn't simple plug-n-play when it comes to apps or drivers from the overall Linux-verse. ChromeOS is branded as a "lightweight" OS for a reason.

Scott
    I guess I will have to see if my library any editors. Looks like I will just have to wait until my laptop gets repaired.

The whole point of a virtual machine is to run other operating systems and software for those operating systems -- within another operating system. But getting a VM to run Win10 on your Chromebook will be nearly impossible. It doesn't have enough memory or storage.
    I figured that would be the case.
    Quote Quote