VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd greatly appreciate some guidance/help on TAW 6, which is just not intuitive to me re: menu design and layout. All I have is one main track with 6 chapters and one short extra track. I want one main menu w/3 buttons - 1. Play main track. 2. Chapter menu. 3. Play extra track (don't need chapters for extra). Sounds so simple (and it was with DVD Worskhop2) but for some odd reason I can't figure it out. I keep getting two main menus or one main menu with no chapter menu option. Any helps w/b very much appreciated. I did search and found several ideas but none of them worked the way I want via the Global Menu Setting option after choosing menu layout (maybe b/c they were specifically for blu ray menus?). I've tried many different custom menu layout options, except the one that works for me . Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I installled the trial to take a look myself, like you i found it unintuitive.
    After looking at it and scratching my head for two hours, i uninstalled still the none the wiser
    whether the program can do this or not.

Perhaps you should contact the sales department and put it to them
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for giving it a shot and responding, davexnet. TAW 6 is a good option and has some very convenient features but custom menu design/layout is severely lacking. Again, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by rbatty11 View Post
    Thank you for giving it a shot and responding, davexnet. TAW 6 is a good option and has some very convenient features but custom menu design/layout is severely lacking. Again, thanks!
    I can help you out to a limited degree. I have TAW6 and I mostly use it for bluray, but the menu authoring is pretty much the same horrific layout for both formats.

Do you want to use one of their templates or a custom layout (I always use custom). Is having the chapters menu very important for your project or is it something you can do without?

Its a bit tricky, but after playing around with the program I can do almost everything you are asking
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The menu is easy to use,just look for help on google on what to do,I've used it to do tv episodes up to 22 of them just so I didn't have to put in each disc.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    Originally Posted by rbatty11 View Post
    I can help you out to a limited degree. I have TAW6 and I mostly use it for bluray, but the menu authoring is pretty much the same horrific layout for both formats.

Do you want to use one of their templates or a custom layout (I always use custom). Is having the chapters menu very important for your project or is it something you can do without?

Its a bit tricky, but after playing around with the program I can do almost everything you are asking
    Hi mazinz. I always use custom menu templates. I almost always have a main menu with a Play button and Chapters button (with six chapters). After I finally figured out how to do that, I have some projects that have extras; the extras almost always have no chapters and I don't need chapters menu for the extra title(s). I do, however, really want a chapter menu for the main title only. For example, with my current project, I have one main title and one extra title (sometimes two extra titles). My goal is to have main menu with a 1) Play main title button, 2) Chapter menu for main title and 3) a Play extra title button (with no chapters and no chapter menu needed for extra).

Any help/guidance w/b appreciated. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    The menu is easy to use,just look for help on google on what to do,I've used it to do tv episodes up to 22 of them just so I didn't have to put in each disc.
    Hi johns0 -- If you find TAW 6 menus easy, then you are my hero. I did google searches for online tutorials but the ones I found are either in Spanish (which I do not speak or read or just not helpful. I did go to Pegasys TAW6 forum and found some good information but nothing that helped me with my original question in this thread. But if you could link a good/detailed tutorial, that would be great! But the best I found is a youtube tutorial by a Spanish gentleman who was creating an episodes project for a Spiderman cartoon series; very good tutorial but it's in Spanish.

I completed one or two projects with tv episodes and couldn't figure it out. But the way I did it was to eliminate chapters in each episode; instead, I created a main title menu with a Play All button and a "Chapter" button which equaled the number of episodes. So if I had 4 episodes, I created main menu with Play All & "Chapters" button (that I renamed "Episodes"); when Episodes button was selected, it went to a sub-menu with four titles/episodes to select. But I could not figure out how to create a chapter menu for each episode. Thanks for your info.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    When you add files to taw6 add them as separate tracks and then choose your menu type,i prefer custom so i set it to the number of tracks i have all together,i set it to top menu only with no title page creation and top menu for all the other settings,you can experiment with these settings,when you click on the menu finish you will be brought to a page list,page edit and link edit,here you can set you background and track background and link settings.

Also you can go back to the source page and do chapter and subtitle settings as well,remember to save the project once in awhile,after you sort through these settings you will start to find what you like in your menus.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by rbatty11 View Post

Hi mazinz. I always use custom menu templates. I almost always have a main menu with a Play button and Chapters button (with six chapters). After I finally figured out how to do that, I have some projects that have extras; the extras almost always have no chapters and I don't need chapters menu for the extra title(s). I do, however, really want a chapter menu for the main title only. For example, with my current project, I have one main title and one extra title (sometimes two extra titles). My goal is to have main menu with a 1) Play main title button, 2) Chapter menu for main title and 3) a Play extra title button (with no chapters and no chapter menu needed for extra).

Try this then: when you are in the menu creation screen, click on the "dvd global settings". This opens a new box. Second tab in is called track/chapters. Click on this tab. Now you will see the chapters for your title 1. However its a drop down box, so if you click on that it will show the other titles in your project. Select another title and even if it has no chapters it will still show at least 1 box for a chapter checked. Uncheck the box and hit ok. See if the menu will now disappear for that title. I have a snapshot below on which section you should be in

[Attachment 64163 - Click to enlarge]

The menu system I could say (as johns0 had commented) is easy-- if you are not too finicky and do not need something specific. If you need to be specific, TAW6 most certainly limits what you can and cannot do. I also agree with guides for TAW6. Tons of them for version 4, some for 5, but very little for 6. For record sake since you had mentioned it in the first post, Ulead dvd workshop still runs on my windows 10. Sometimes it can be buggy, but it works. I wish TAW6 had a menu layout system similar to that. Then again I'm mostly doing blu-rays now rather than dvds. You also may want to you into dvdstyler Its a free program for menu creation and dvd authoring. Ive personally never used it, but it has received a lot of mention here on the forums over the years
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    When you add files to taw6 add them as separate tracks and then choose your menu type,i prefer custom so i set it to the number of tracks i have all together,i set it to top menu only with no title page creation and top menu for all the other settings,you can experiment with these settings,when you click on the menu finish you will be brought to a page list,page edit and link edit,here you can set you background and track background and link settings.

Also you can go back to the source page and do chapter and subtitle settings as well,remember to save the project once in awhile,after you sort through these settings you will start to find what you like in your menus.
    Thanks johns0. While it did accomplish getting one main menu with two buttons for my tracks -- 1. Main Track & 2. Extra Track -- it eliminated my chapter menu for the main track.. ugh. I tried this with three buttons on main menu (from custom menu options) but did not work. My goal is to get three buttons on main menu --> 1. Play Main title. 2. Chapter Menu for Main title (6 chapters). 3. Play Extra. Anyway, thank you for helping.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM

Try this then: when you are in the menu creation screen, click on the "dvd global settings". This opens a new box. Second tab in is called track/chapters. Click on this tab. Now you will see the chapters for your title 1. However its a drop down box, so if you click on that it will show the other titles in your project. Select another title and even if it has no chapters it will still show at least 1 box for a chapter checked. Uncheck the box and hit ok. See if the menu will now disappear for that title. I have a snapshot below on which section you should be in

The menu system I could say (as johns0 had commented) is easy-- if you are not too finicky and do not need something specific. If you need to be specific, TAW6 most certainly limits what you can and cannot do. I also agree with guides for TAW6. Tons of them for version 4, some for 5, but very little for 6. For record sake since you had mentioned it in the first post, Ulead dvd workshop still runs on my windows 10. Sometimes it can be buggy, but it works. I wish TAW6 had a menu layout system similar to that. Then again I'm mostly doing blu-rays now rather than dvds. You also may want to you into dvdstyler Its a free program for menu creation and dvd authoring. Ive personally never used it, but it has received a lot of mention here on the forums over the years
    Thanks mazinz for trying but no go. Here's the issue. I have already attempted your guidance above before posting here. It works to eliminate my one chapter for the extra title and therefore eliminating the need for a chapter menu for the Extra title - great!. However, I end up with one Main menu with two buttons -- 1. Play Main title. 2. Play Extra... but no Chapter menu button for the Main title on the Main/Top menu (?!). In order to get to Chapter menu, TAW6 is making me select Play Main title --> then Sub-Menu has two buttons: 1. Play Main title and 2. Chapter menu for Main title (another sub-menu). I think I may be too finicky by asking for these buttons on Main/Top menu: 1. Play Main title, 2. Chapter menu for Main title and 3. Play Extra title.

I hope what I'm relaying above is clear and 'logical' but likely too finicky. I loved DVD Workshop2 -- awesome authoring program but outdated and doesn't output 5.1ch. But so flexible with menu creation; I can do whatever I choose with however many sub-menus, linking is so easy. I have an old Win7 that I run it on and refuse to get rid of it. I have tried many times to install Workshop2 on Win10 but unsuccessful..ugh. I gave up. Many thanks to you for taking the time to help me, much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by rbatty11 View Post

Thanks mazinz for trying but no go. Here's the issue. I have already attempted your guidance above before posting here. It works to eliminate my one chapter for the extra title and therefore eliminating the need for a chapter menu for the Extra title - great!. However, I end up with one Main menu with two buttons -- 1. Play Main title. 2. Play Extra... but no Chapter menu button for the Main title on the Main/Top menu (?!). In order to get to Chapter menu, TAW6 is making me select Play Main title --> then Sub-Menu has two buttons: 1. Play Main title and 2. Chapter menu for Main title (another sub-menu). I think I may be too finicky by asking for these buttons on Main/Top menu: 1. Play Main title, 2. Chapter menu for Main title and 3. Play Extra title.

I hope what I'm relaying above is clear and 'logical' but likely too finicky. I loved DVD Workshop2 -- awesome authoring program but outdated and doesn't output 5.1ch. But so flexible with menu creation; I can do whatever I choose with however many sub-menus, linking is so easy. I have an old Win7 that I run it on and refuse to get rid of it. I have tried many times to install Workshop2 on Win10 but unsuccessful..ugh. I gave up. Many thanks to you for taking the time to help me, much appreciated!

No problem. Its not you being finicky, what you are asking is something that is very common. It is a limitation of the program. You could always send them an email and suggest the option by telling them your problem. The Tmpenc staff have always been good at replying for anything I have asked them before. I would go to their site and send them a message.

Its really funny you mentioned no luck with Ulead Dvd Workshop on win 10. In another recent thread here I used to be able to run Womble's Mpeg Video Wizard dvd then after some MS updates last year no more. Others in the thread have been installing and running it just fine. Getting back to Workshop. either it was a later version of the program (or one of the patches), but it did allow ac3 2.0/5.1 audio
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now this is funny.. I never used Womble's Mpeg Video Wizard but I do use MPEG VCR, which is an awesome little program. I could only use it on Win7 and tried many times to install on my Win10, unsuccessfully. I finally found a thread that I needed a certain older version of MPEG VCR to work on Win10. I just did that. I'm sure you've already tried this but maybe install an older version of Mpeg VW?? Do you know what version of DVD WS2 you installed on Win10? I remember the "patch", which I downloaded from LordSmurf's site. I know he loves WS2.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by rbatty11 View Post
    Now this is funny.. I never used Womble's Mpeg Video Wizard but I do use MPEG VCR, which is an awesome little program. I could only use it on Win7 and tried many times to install on my Win10, unsuccessfully. I finally found a thread that I needed a certain older version of MPEG VCR to work on Win10. I just did that. I'm sure you've already tried this but maybe install an older version of Mpeg VW?? Do you know what version of DVD WS2 you installed on Win10? I remember the "patch", which I downloaded from LordSmurf's site. I know he loves WS2.
    Thanks, I tried older versions of MVW but without success. I lost it after some MS updates back in Fab/March of 2021. The Ulead program had 3-5 patches I believe. I have all of them archived. The version currently on the pc is 2.232 (d1) and under that it has ulead ac3 power pack 1.0.

Update: Could not tell you what the original base install version was, that would require more digging through archive discs (which I'm not in the mood to do). However i did find the update patches folder and it had 3 of them

I also have it running under windows compatibility set to run as administrator and windows xp service pack 3
    Last edited by mazinz; 7th Apr 2022 at 13:58.
    Quote Quote